Thread: Exhaust availability

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Exhaust availability

Chris,
    Looking to put an order together and wanted to see if [MVcombo ex] was available in 304ss. Can your supplier make them in stainless?
    And the included downpipe works with your 3" swingvalve, correct?

Also what is the difference exactly in the walbro in tank pumps from 89 to 90? We can't just use the newer one?

Thanks,
    Wayne

my android sent this for me using Tapatalk...
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Re: Exhaust availability

Quote Originally Posted by wheming View Post
    Chris,
    Looking to put an order together and wanted to see if [MVcombo ex] was available in 304ss. Can your supplier make them in stainless?
    And the included downpipe works with your 3" swingvalve, correct?

Also what is the difference exactly in the walbro in tank pumps from 89 to 90? We can't just use the newer one?

Thanks,
    Wayne

Hi Wayne,

Our MVcombo exhaust kit is only available in Aluminized steel. It was designed to be used with our 3" swingvalve so it should bolt right up.

The fuel pumps changed in late year 1990. If you own a 1990 vehicle you might want to remove yours prior to ordering to confirm which you need. If you are a gambling man I would suggest going with the older version. Unfortuantely the newer version cannot be easily switched for the older one. Email us directly if you need additional assistance in selecting the right one for you.

Thanks!

Chris-TU
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

Sorry Chris i didn't see this reply right away.
    So it woud be impossible to get in stainless? Even as a special older?

Wayne H.

'89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw

Sorry Chris i didn't see this reply right away.
    So it woud be impossible to get in stainless? Even as a special older?

Our supplier doesn't do stainless and with so few requests over the years the expense of a "one off" would not be cost effective for you. I suggest going through one of the vendors that are already supplying the SS kits if you are dead set on one.

Chris-TU
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

Not really a one-off situation. If he has the mandrel machine and the 3" minivan programmed i already the only difference is the raw stock.

But if he can't do it, do you have someone you can reccommend? thanks!

Wayne H.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Not really a one-off situation. If he has the mandrel machine and the 3" minivan programmed i already the only difference is the raw stock.
    It gets just a little more in depth than that, largely due to different hardness and plasticity of the metals. The metal around the outside radius of the bends actually gets stretched quite a bit, and there's often some fine tuning to be done to avoid tearing the metal. I don't know the actual numbers, but I know that mild aluminized steel is very different than common 409SS, and even farther away from 308SS and 304SS. Unfortunately this can lead to a fair amount of scrap while the operator dials it in, and 304SS isn't exactly cheap. Pull it too tight, and the metal tears. Pull too slow, and the mandrel breaks. The mandrels we use for 3" pipe run about $900 each.

And this is all assuming the wall thickness of the pipe is exactly the same.

What he said ^.

Mandrel bending Aluminized Steel tubing requires different tooling and skills. Our exhaust pipe vendor is not set up for SS. A one off would involve our fabricator producing a SS version of our aluminized steel kit by cutting/welding mandrel pieces with straight. This is a much more labor intensive and costly way of producing the exhaust kits. I would suggest searching for a local exhaust shop equipped with 3" mandrel tooling or going with Forward Motion or FWD for pre-made kits.

Chris-TU

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

But if he can't do it, do you have someone you can reccommend? thanks!

Make your own, go here, http://www.mandrel-bends.com/catalog/ and order some straight pipe, couple 90 and 45 deg elbows and go at it. That's what I did last time out, before that, just used aluminized mandrel bends from Walker.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

With everything else i still need to do, I don't know if I'll piece this together right now. I may need to just buy the aluminized kit and get by with it. I just hate doing something I know won't last. But, on the other hand, it will at least last alot longer down here than up north!.

Chris do you have 3" cutouts also?
    Wayne H.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

With everything else i still need to do, I don't know if I'll piece this together right now. I may need to just buy the aluminized kit and get by with it. I just hate doing something I know won't last. But, on the other hand, it will at least last alot longer down here than up north!.

Chris do you have 3" cutouts also?
    What's the weather like and are you driving it year round? My first setup, aluminized, rotted out from the inside due to the gas's wearing it down. I drive it year round thru salt etc, and it lasted 7 years or so, so not too shabby.
    Last edited by turbovanmanČ; 01-10-2012 at 05:43 PM.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

When i first moved here they never salted roads. But now since so many damn yankees have moved here they are trying to turn the south into "New" New England!
    Yes year round here i would expect 6-8 years.
    Short trips that don't fully heat the exhaust will kill it quick from the inside.
    Luckily we normally only get a couple to a few snow or ice storms. Today it was nearly 60 deg F.

Wayne H.