Thread: vibration

Garrett booster

vibration

just bought a 86 Daytona T1 today, 104k miles, auto trans. Only issue ive noticed i have a vibration that resonates thru the car and steering column. It doesnt matter if im sitting still or driving. I checked the pass side motor mount and it looks good. I do get a clunking sound when i shift back and forth from drive to reverse.

any ideas ??

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: vibration

How is the front motor mount? How about the driver's side mount?

Garrett booster

I know you said that you get vibration sitting still. Check your timing as the engine runs smoother and quieter at the correct advance. Check for computer codes that affect driveability. Obviously you have enough oil and transmission fluid.

Then, check all of your tires, even the back, by jacking each corner and rotating the tire. Look for eggs, bulges or other indicators of belts or plys that are out of round. This affected two of our 4 road worthy cars this year and an 88 Horizon now in storage.

Then, jack up the front. Open the hood. Put a pry bar under each front tire and lift up while watching the upper strut mount. If you lift and the upper strut mount lets the shaft move up and down replace the upper strut mount. This affected my 89 Horizon and 91 Caravan.

Then grab each front wheel and try to move it top to bottom and right to left while someone holds the steering wheel fixed. Let the car down and put your foot on top of the tire and push in and then relax. Feel for the top of the tire moving with free play. Affected my 88 Horizon. Bad front wheel bearing on driver's side.

Put your foot on the top of the rear tires and push in and out. When, not if, you feel movement it is time to do the rear wheel bearing adjustment which is every 18 months on the Chryslers with the stub axle system. This affects all of our cars.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

My guess is the mounts are shot, the clunking points to it. I bet the front mount is sacked or installed incorrectly.

http://www.thedodgegarage.com/common_failures.html
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Garrett booster

so... is there just two mounts or three ? I replaced the one on the pass side, it helped a little with the vibration, i did start the car while the mount on the pass side was unbolted and the vibration went away quite a bit, bolted the new mount back on and vibration is back.

Im planning on replacing the trans mount, is there any more mounts ??

Garrett booster

I think i FINALLY found the problem, i never noticed the Trans mount, it looks to be shot...

Garrett booster

Yep... its shot !!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Was the front mount OK?

Mike

PS Nice diagnostic info there Anglesrunner...
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by zin View Post
    PS Nice diagnostic info there Anglesrunner...
    It's just that I buy really old or not running Chrysler family cars dirt cheap and then get them back on the road for cheap so I don't suffer depreciation. Most of my cars go up in value as I spend some time on them. My expenses are the operating expenses and the cheapest liability insurance. My cars and computers are my hobby so I count the time as free. With all of the cars from the same family the diagnosing has already been done on some previous car when a problem occurs.

Garrett booster

im probably gonna change the front mount also just as good measure. It did fix my vibration problem ... thanks for everyones help !!

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Glad to hear that you've fixed the problem.