Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2.4 piston/rod combos

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

2.4 piston/rod combos

Planning on putting a 2.4 into my Daytona, so I'm looking at all the different piston/rod combos. The combos being:

Stock 2.4 Stratus rods/pistons
    SRT-4 rod/pistons
    T2 rods/2.5 TBI pistons
    T2 rods/2.5 turbo pistons
    T2 rods/ SRT-4 pistons
    T2 rods/ stock Stratus pistons

And before you jump all over it, yes I realize the stock NA pistons are weaker, and forged turbo is stronger than cast turbo, yada yada. What I am looking for is comparison info, ie pin heights, weights, ring land dimensions, crown thickness, top ring land to crown heght, etc etc. I am probably going to start out with the stock Stratus stuff and see how far it goes, just cause I'm curious like that

I am also very curious about the pros/cons of the stock-style domed (ski-ramp) pistons, vs the dished 2.5 turbo pistons, vs the flat-top pistons that are available from the aftermarket. I am under the impression that the domes quench better, which is better for quelling detonation? If so, why the flat-tops? And what happens when you go dished 2.5 piston?

I know that the 2.5 piston radically drops the compression, but I have numbers that range from 6.8 to 7.2:1.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Garrett booster

Re: 2.4 piston/rod combos

The stock stratus stuff is 9.4 :1 compression. That's way too much, unless you're just going to run 5 psi boost. Lol. I know unaclocker did his and iirc the rods gave out at fairly low boost. Maybe 8-10 psi. I would just go with the srt stuff. It's fairly cheap and can handle a lot of power. I've heard 400whp. I'm in the middle of a 2.4 swap for my shadow and that's the route I'm going until I can build a better short block.

Yeah I would run low boost on stock Stratus parts. Like, direct line from intake to wga lol.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Force Fed Mopar View Post
    I am also very curious about the pros/cons of the stock-style domed (ski-ramp) pistons, vs the dished 2.5 turbo pistons, vs the flat-top pistons that are available from the aftermarket. I am under the impression that the domes quench better, which is better for quelling detonation? If so, why the flat-tops? And what happens when you go dished 2.5 piston?
    the srt ski ramp pistons do provide good combustion chamber quench characteristics so you can run alot more ignition advance.

even though the 2.5L dish creates a much lower compression ratio, it has less quench. you can probably run more ignition advance on the SRT stuff than the 2.5L dish.

the flat tops.... i hear that some dont like the unequal weight of the dome and feel that it makes the pistons rock back and forth and over time, with real high power, will deform the piston skirt.

i bet in a 400hp or less application, the piston would be fine for a long time but maybe if you are going for 800hp or something crazy like that, a flat top would be better.

i myself would want one of two things:

1. the stock SRT piston... cause they are cheap and easy to replace if broken provided you dont mess up the bore or head.

2. a dished piston thats cut to match the shape of the combustion chamber and the edge of the piston real close to the head at TDC for good quench.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

You forgot all the many aftermarket combos, such as the one I'm running... FM's long GRP Rods / short JE pistons

j/k

Great idea to collect all the rod lengths, pin heights and deck heights for a KC artcile

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

that's the idea
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Rods are the same, we've covered this, lol, but SRT's have .866 piston pins so if you use SRT pistons with T2 rods, you'll need to find someone to put a custom bushing in.

STOCK n/a pistons and rods in a 2.5 sit around .014" in the hole in a 2.5 turbo engine, I'll know about 8.5:1 SRT JE pistons in a 2.5 soon so that should give you an idea of how 2.5 stuff will work in a 2.4.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Disassembled my Stratus shortblock today, not sure I want to try any boost on the n/a pistons now lol. Piston crown to top ring land width is only .120" I'll have more specs after I get them all cleaned up.
    Last edited by Force Fed Mopar; 12-31-2011 at 04:47 PM.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

Took some measurements of the stock n/a 2.4 rods and pistons today.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0273.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	440.1 KB 
ID:	36458   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0274.jpg 
Views:	319 
Size:	435.5 KB 
ID:	36459   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0275.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	426.9 KB 
ID:	36460   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0276.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	358.4 KB 
ID:	36461   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0278.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	374.1 KB 
ID:	36462   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0279.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	343.0 KB 
ID:	36463  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0280.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	366.2 KB 
ID:	36464   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0281.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	361.4 KB 
ID:	36465   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0282.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	455.7 KB 
ID:	36466  
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

Bump!
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

turbo addict

Subbing, any new info?

Not really, although I have decided to go with SRT pistons instead of 2.5 pistons, general consensus being that the 7.2 compression is too low.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Planning on putting a 2.4 into my Daytona, so I'm looking at all the different piston/rod combos. The combos being:

Stock 2.4 Stratus rods/pistons
    SRT-4 rod/pistons
    T2 rods/2.5 TBI pistons
    T2 rods/2.5 turbo pistons
    T2 rods/ SRT-4 pistons
    T2 rods/ stock Stratus pistons

And before you jump all over it, yes I realize the stock NA pistons are weaker, and forged turbo is stronger than cast turbo, yada yada. What I am looking for is comparison info, ie pin heights, weights, ring land dimensions, crown thickness, top ring land to crown heght, etc etc. I am probably going to start out with the stock Stratus stuff and see how far it goes, just cause I'm curious like that

I know that the 2.5 piston radically drops the compression, but I have numbers that range from 6.8 to 7.2:1.
    I did a bunch of research back when I was going to put a 2.4 in a 2nd project Daytona (that I no longer have). Basically, the 2.5 T1 pistons and rods will work great, if you deck the block 0.06". From what I measured, that should be no problem for the block. But, if you don't deck it, the compression is wayyy too low. 6. something as you already mentioned.

pics:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...l=1#post831503
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

turbo addict

Interesting info Rob. But I have a feeling unless you have the 2.5 rods/pistons its gonna still be cheaper to buy the factory SRT stuff. Now, Can you use SRT pistons with T2 rods? Ive got a nice set of T2 rods, already ARP'ed and all checked out. I dont like the fact the SRT rods cant be fixed if you spin a bearing.

I have the rods and pistons, but don't want to have to cut the block .025-.060", as that will make cam timing and belt tensioning interesting to say the least. So I am trading my 2.5 pistons for some proper SRT pistons.

The SRT piston can be used with the T2 rods, as they are pretty much the same length (I think like .001-.002" different), but you will need to have custom pin bushings made, as the SRT pins are .866" and the 2.2/2.5 is .901". This is probably what I will do, as my machinist says it is probably a better option than trying to hone the aluminum piston out to the larger size. Unless I can get a good deal on some Eagle rods

---------- Post added at 08:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by cdavis View Post
    The stock stratus stuff is 9.4 :1 compression. That's way too much, unless you're just going to run 5 psi boost. Lol. I know unaclocker did his and iirc the rods gave out at fairly low boost. Maybe 8-10 psi. I would just go with the srt stuff. It's fairly cheap and can handle a lot of power. I've heard 400whp. I'm in the middle of a 2.4 swap for my shadow and that's the route I'm going until I can build a better short block.
    I read his posts on Neons.org about it, and the rods broke when he overboosted to 18psi. They held up fine at 8-10psi.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

I have the rods and pistons, but don't want to have to cut the block .025-.060", as that will make cam timing and belt tensioning interesting to say the least. So I am trading my 2.5 pistons for some proper SRT pistons.

The SRT piston can be used with the T2 rods, as they are pretty much the same length (I think like .001-.002" different), but you will need to have custom pin bushings made, as the SRT pins are .866" and the 2.2/2.5 is .901". This is probably what I will do, as my machinist says it is probably a better option than trying to hone the aluminum piston out to the larger size. Unless I can get a good deal on some Eagle rods [COLOR="Silver"]

Go over to SRT forums, I picked up a set of Eagles to go with these pistons for $150, and they are MINT.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Go over to SRT forums, I picked up a set of Eagles to go with these pistons for $150, and they are MINT.
    Yeah I am starting to peruse them, the Eagles are a lot lighter than the T2 rods. And wouldn't require custom bushings.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

turbo addict

Now I have a question, if 2.5 turbo pistons will "work" in a 2.4, would 2.4 pistons with T2 rods work in a 2.5 hybrid? Maybe with the top milled to alter the compression ratio?

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFromHell View Post
    Now I have a question, if 2.5 turbo pistons will "work" in a 2.4, would 2.4 pistons with T2 rods work in a 2.5 hybrid? Maybe with the top milled to alter the compression ratio?
    They'll pop out the top of a common block. You'd have to cut down the pistons, or get 1.5mm shorter rods...
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Quote Originally Posted by ShelGame View Post
    They'll pop out the top of a common block. You'd have to cut down the pistons, or get 1.5mm shorter rods...
    They actually sit in the hole, I tried it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast