Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: oil catch can questions

Hybrid booster

Question oil catch can questions

is it wise to use an oil catch can on our cars and if so what are the advantages of using sorry if this is the wrong place to post this

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: oil catch can questions

Some say the factory system sucks but properly setup, it works ok.

Nothing wrong using a catch can, it can be a good addition, especially if your engine is older and tired, it will prevent you filling up your airbox and engine with oil from blowby vapour.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

ok i just wanted to make sure it was safe what brands do you recommend and what are some advantages of using one

Garrett booster

If you use one, you don't dump oil on top of your transmission or into your turbo.

Personally, I think a catch-can is a bandaid. In a race-only car it can make some amount of sense (better to oil a can than the track!), but a well baffled valve cover in our cars (use the TBI 'skirt' under your turbo VC or an entire TBI valve cover assy) eliminates almost all the oil that would normally accumulate.

Some years back, there were quite a few folks that used the baffled VC and an AIR valve connected to their down pipes to put the crank case under vac and eliminate oil entering the intake tract, and also eliminate oil exiting the valve cover connection. That's part of my plan on my current build.

Hybrid booster

az what do u mean when u say in ur turbo and whats is the skirt u speak of

Garrett booster

Turbo VC = turbo valve cover

the 'skirt' is what my manual calls the baffle under the valve cover in later model TBI cars. It's a sheet metal baffle under the valve cover that keeps the oil from splashing about as much. By keeping the oil that is slung off the cam from being thrown on the inside of the valve cover (as much) there is less to make its way out the PCV vent.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

I seem to recall you can't use the skirt under a turbo valve cover.

Any brand is fine, even the cheap ones on Ebay.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

so is it wise for me to run one a catch can because the reason i am asking is i wanna running a k an cone filter but one tube off the back of the valve cover runs to my airbox and i was told i need the tube to be hooked up to a catch can if i wanted to do this

Use the cast tbi cover and skirt. You can one of the vents to the manifold so it draws under vacume with the PCV valve, and run the other to your inlet tube after the turbo. Lots of ventilation, and most people will not know its a turbo 'cause' it isn't spelled out for them. I go through tech inspection all the time and unless it is a tech that has seen the car before they all have to ask 'is there a turbo?". If you get oil vapour (I don't really get any) add your catch can on the line to the inlet tube.

Hybrid booster

is there any way to run a cone filter without having to add a catch can or changing the valve cover

Garrett booster

The baffle/skirt can be added under the turbo valve cover, you have to trim it with a pair of snips to clear the cast baffle in the turbo VC.

If you want a cone filter, you have a few options. You can hook up an inlet hose from the turbo to the filter, and 'tee' into it with your vent that currently goes to the airbox. I would only recommend that IF you don't collect much/any oil in your airbox currently.

The second option is easier, just buy a smaller cone filter (they sell them at autozone) or a 'breather filter' and plug it into the line that goes to the airbox.

The purpose of the vent on the back of the valve cover is two-fold. The PCV valve plugs into it, and helps the engine ingest 'bad' blowby gasses to help reduce emissions. Then there's a 'vent' that goes to the airbox. That vent is there for when the engine is under more significant load - it gives a place for the crankcase pressure to go, and is routed into the turbo/intake to help burn it up rather than vent it - again, emissions reasons.

If you run a small filter on it, you're venting those crankcase gasses to atmosphere. Not very friendly to mother earth, and you run the risk of blowing oil from that filter. If you 'tee' into the cone filter tubing, you are effectively doing the same thing as the stock setup, but if you belch oil out of it, the engine will eat it. That can mean an increased risk of detonation - not good. This is where a 'catch can' usually comes into play. You plumb it between the valve cover and the cone filter tubing. That way, if you belch oil, it doesn't enter the engine and wreak havoc. Any cheap catch-can will work. There are some DIY solutions out there that use PVC (not to be confused with PCV) garden fittings and a chrome breather filter (from autozone/pepboys, etc).

Also be sure to use the proper tubing for your vent/pcv/breather. Standard 'heater hose' will swell and rot away with prolonged exposure to motor oils. I suggest finding your nearest 'fleet' shop and getting some 5/8" silicone tubing. Not the cheapest out there, but works well and doesn't rot away with the oil.

Hybrid booster

what do u mean by inlet hose from the turbo i an running a t1 log car so kinda confused

Garrett booster

"Inlet hose from the turbo" means the hose IN FRONT of the turbo. The one from the airbox to the turbo.

Why are you wanting to install a cone filter? They do look cooler, but won't increase the performance of a log car by much. You'll see much better gains by going to a blow-through setup.

What kind of car are you working on?

Hybrid booster

86 dodge daytona turbo z t1

Garrett booster

Your '86 already has the right head/pistons and distributor for a T2 swap. I'd look at putting a blow-through intake in there. You could run without an intercooler if you keep the boost low, and get an '87 T2 computer. Then you can run a 'charge hose' from a later model 2.5 T1 car (I'd get the airbox from an auto trans car, it has a built-in BOV to help keep the turbo alive longer). It wouldn't cost you much, and you'd have a much better platform for power.

If you just want to do the cone filter, you can - and whether you need a catch can or not depends on how much oil the engine pushes out. Is your current air filter oil-stained? Any oil leaking on the top of the transmission from the airbox? If not, you can run a breather filter instead of a catch can. If there is oil in the airbox, or on top of the trans, then I would run a catch-can. Cheap is fine, it doesn't make much difference on brand/type. If possible, I'd try to route the air filter to some place other than IN the engine bay - temperatures inside the engine bay are pretty high, especially if you have AC. Or you could just install a K&N panel filter in your stock airbox - but it doesn't look as cool.

Hybrid booster

i already have a k and n drop in filter am i getting the same performance from that as i would a cone doesnt push any oil out as far as i know and i9 have a whole 87 t2 motor and and the other stuff except the t2 computer

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

A cone filter on an otherwise stock setup probably isn't going to give you any noticeable improvements.

Hybrid booster

what are some easy bang for your buck upgrades because im just starting to understand these cars and i gotta question is there any way to get rid of the fusable links on an 86 daytona

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scarface1689 View Post
    what are some easy bang for your buck upgrades because im just starting to understand these cars and i gotta question is there any way to get rid of the fusable links on an 86 daytona
    The best first step is a Mopar Performance computer. You can eliminate the fusable links, but you'll need some wiring skills to do it. Just pull a power distribution center out of another car and install it in yours. Much easier said than done.

Hybrid booster

ok i have a picture of what i think is my starting issue and i never had a problem with my car before as starting i looked at a diagram i believe on the diagram its what is called a fusible link how do i post pictures again its been so long also cordes what do you think would be a computer for my car

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast