Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 86 Horizon Build

Hybrid booster

Re: 86 Horizon Build

this is rather embarrassing but i will share anyways...

I noticed that during my intermittent start then die issues the car simply was not getting enough fuel so i adjusted my cranking enrichment and warmup enrichment and that helped but not enough. i knew something had to be wrong.

well....turns out putting two gallons of gas in a brand new complete fuel system simply is not enough. i put another 3.5 in it and it fired right up and did not stall. i then adjusted the cranking and warmup enrichment values back to sane numbers.

I'm now dealing with a really high idle (2200ish). i verified the iac was full closed and unplugged it and turned off iac control on the ms. i also manually adjusted the throttle stop down. i was able to get a high 1700 low 1800 idle. I'm thinking maybe timing related? I currently dont have radiator hoses/coolant in the car so ive never let it run more than like 7 seconds.

Before i get too crazy making ms adjustments i'm going to get coolant in the car and let it idle until it reaches operating temperature and see where my idle goes from there. Of course no one locally carries the upper and lower hoses for this car so i have to wait for them to come in

turbo addict

The bolt for the intake support bracket is missing, reach under the intake halfway between the throttle body and plenum when its running and you'll find it.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by shackwrrr View Post
    The bolt for the intake support bracket is missing, reach under the intake halfway between the throttle body and plenum when its running and you'll find it.
    You sir are good! sure enough it was missing. This is why i love turbo-mopar.com!

Hybrid booster

time for a few pictures. been working on wiring the lights and such. ill post some pictures up of the interior once i get it cleaned up a little bit more

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Nice work!

Hybrid booster

Time for a small update. Got most everything tied up and finalized and the car on the ground. i got my laptop out and I'm adjusting the megasquirt settings to take it out for a spin around the block. After about 20-30 minutes of idling i developed a major transmission leak out of the bellhousing.....

Its a weird leak in the sense that it only starts once its been idling for some time but then its off to the races and leaked very bad. So i pulled the transmission and inspected everything. The input shaft seal is brand new and looked to be fine. The cover/housing around it looked like it was lacking a little RTV in one spot. I re RTV'd it and sealed the threads on the bolts that hold it together. I didnt replace the seal at the time so that i could determine true root cause. Meanwhile getting that transmission in and out was a total pain in the a$$!

Had the car running for a little while last night and it appears the leak may be back! i couldnt have it running long enough to tell if it was as bad as before because even with the garage door open and the fan the fumes were just too bad. it did start to look moist however.

i will push get it off the jackstands today and push it outside so i can have it running for a while to see if it comes back.

oh and BTW...these little buddies helped a ton

Hybrid booster

input shaft seal replaced and the transmission is back in the car. now just time to button everything back up and check for leaks.....

wish me luck!

Hybrid booster

What a beautiful car and phenomenal craftsmanship !!!!

Garrett booster

Sweet Project! Very Clean. Subscribed.

Hybrid booster

time for a small update.

transmission leak is fixed. (thank god)

kinda been putting around the neighborhood trying to figure things out and its been hit or miss but i am learning a lot. Turns out there is something called AFR safety in MS that was really messing me up for a while because it would cut fuel and spark if the afr error was over a certain amount.

last night my rigged up temporary exhaust fell off so its time to legitimately run the exhaust. I'm thinking the ATP ultimate swingvalve and a small muffler with side exit.

also, going to order and install a catch can. I'm sure this isn't well known in the turbo mopar world but it is a thing in the boosted LS world...whatcha think?

http://mightym0use.wix.com/mm-solutions#!mm-og/ca5m

Garrett booster

Awesome thread so far. You've got an amazingly clean L-body and the Shadow is a beauty too.
    I'm always impressed when I see someone making steady progress as I'm terrible at actually working on my cars.

I've considered the catch can as well as I've got a spare GReddy one in my parts bin from a friends AE86 Corolla build.

Keep up the good work, I'm definitely subscribing.

Mitsu booster

Nice Work

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by AzShadow View Post
    also, going to order and install a catch can. I'm sure this isn't well known in the turbo mopar world but it is a thing in the boosted LS world...whatcha think?
    Later 90+ turbo models had a 1/4" line from the oil breather to the oil return beneath the turbo.
    This served as a means to return the oil back to the crankcase and if supported eliminates the need for a catch can, if excessive blow-over is realized.

Thanks and again - awesome project !

Hybrid booster

getting ready for the exhaust. Left to right for comparison, ATP 3", turbonetics 2.5", stock mitsu.

Garrett booster

build looking good. Keep it up.

I love the atp swingvalve. I've got on my car.

Hybrid booster

Got the exhaust system fabricated.

All stainless steel tubing with stainless v bands. The down pipe is 3" and transitions to 4". Borla XR1 muffler and side exit just before the drivers side rear tire. 1 o2 bung located far enough away from the turbo per Innovate LC1 recommendation.

The bottom part of the swing valve needed a little cleaning up on the edge because of a mismatch where it bolts to the turbo.

In other news I figured out why my car would start to run leaner with the headlights on...the dead times on my injectors were set incorrectly. Out of the box megasquirt is set up to run high impedance injectors. Few adjustments here and there and it made that problem go away and it instantly started running better as well. You learn something new everyday!

I still get the occasional dreaded error 8 on my wideband I think i may need to buy a new sensor. I did some research and found out that the bosch 5 wire can be purchased for $52 at the local o'riely! (compared to the $80 innovate charges)

Hybrid booster

Serious lack of motivation lately......

Catch can and intake in the works....

Shadow being gutted.....

Not sure if I can use any of this stuff for brakes/5 lug but i snagged it anyways....

gauge cluster being disassembled for custom VDO setup....

Garrett booster

Awesome build, I'm just starting the process of rewiring my car now with a megasquirt3 and other aftermarket wiring but I'm only in the disassemble part. Anyways looking forward to seeing more

Hybrid booster

Its been quite some time......

Valve cover came back off for some more work.

Just another shot of the coil bracket mounts.

Dual -10 an bungs in place of the factory TBI ports

Proclassic -10 breather hoses made up (overkill I know)

TBI umbrella installed

Intake. 3" aluminum elbow. Big AEM Dryflow filter. Not pictured is the catch can/pcv setup

Random Shot letting it warm up before work

swapping cars to and from storage

Hybrid booster

NOTHING to do with the car...but some of you may enjoy it.

few shots from an NHRA event

Me and my buddy this last weekend at a NASA AZ event

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast