Thread: 6 bolt flywheel differences (turbo vs N/A)

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

6 bolt flywheel differences (turbo vs N/A)

Been a Long time since I worked on an 85 and older trans and I'm 99% sure but figured I'd post this up as "good info" anyway, since I searched and found Nothing on the subject.

15 years ago or so I had a customer with an 85 turbo Daytona that had a bad vibration at idle and i'm pretty sure (not 100%) it vibrated up into the rpms with throttle. After a bunch of obvious diagnostic, and knowing the car had just got this problem after having a clutch installed, we went after the clutch/ PP as posssible culprit.

Turned out that someone used an N/A 6 bolt flywheel to replace the turbo flywheel. Since the older mtrs where Externally balance by the flywheel/ ring gear (this is what I was told at the time) it shook being missmatched.

Sure enough, we found that there were two different part #'s and a pretty big difference between the two flywheels. We put the right one on and problem solved.

So, here I am with an 85 that's being converted to 5 spd and I need to make sure I put the right flywheel in there!

I have both 6 bolt flywheels and I'm 99% they go like this Turbo = part#4329179 and has smaller "ring" on the backside AND takes the larger PP bolt pattern.

N/A = part#5222680 and has much larger (thicker) "ring" on backside and has smaller PP bolt pattern.

Someone want to confirm 100%?

Also, was the 2.5 Ever available with 6 bolt flywheel? (that could throw another wrench in there!)

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

Re: 6 bolt flywheel differences (turbo vs N/A)

Bob,
    There are two different flywheels but it has nothing to do with balance and such since all 2.2 motors were considered a neutral or zero balance motor.

The difference was the clutch size, 215MM of an N/A application and 230MM for a turbo/minivan application.

Motors were built with no consideration for the final transmission application either stick or automatic so the balance would not have been a consideration. All the early motors, up to '86 were also built with the heavy rods like the ones used in the TII motors but were not a full floating pin, just pressed.

Hope this helps,
    Cliff Ramsdell

turbo addict

Yes Rob the 6 bolt turbo flywheel has the larger PP bolt pattern for sure. My parts book says 85 turbo flywheel is part # 4348314. That is for turbo and H & K cars too. N/A smaller PP bolt pattern # is 4348312.
    86+ N/A vehicles part # 4338874 and turbo and vans used 4338872. (8 bolt)
    Part# is probably different than cast # on flywheel due to assy. (with ring gear).
    Todd

---------- Post added at 06:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:46 PM ----------

No 2.5 ever came with 6 bolt flywheel. TD 2.5's came out in 86 and lasted thru 88 model year.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

K, thanks for the replies guys and that gives me enough to do what I'm doing now. And ya, casting #'s, Not part #'s Wierd though, because I distinctly remember changing the flywheel on that Daytona all those years ago and the vibration dissapeared?

Although, I would have to have changed the clutch/PP to the larger bolt pattern and I don't remember doing that??

Maybe someone dble drilled the N/A flywheel OFF and that was the whole problem? Strange......

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!