Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 87 glhs #476

turbo addict

87 glhs #476 - Sold -

12 21 11***Update*** Project car has been sold. In it's place is a nice shiny Ram Hemi.

1987 GLHS #476, rust free. Bringing it home soon. Please help me decide.....How would you build it if you had a:

10k budget?
    or a
    15k budget?
    or a
    20k budget?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	87 476.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	36052   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	87 476 picture 4.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	36053   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	87 476 picture 3.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	56.1 KB 
ID:	36054  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by 168glhs1986; 12-21-2011 at 08:45 PM.

Re: 87 glhs #476

$15K. You COULD do it on $10K, but $15K is better. $20K is overkill, personally. Also, what are your plans for it? Full restore, full custom?
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    $15K. You COULD do it on $10K, but $15K is better. $20K is overkill, personally. Also, what are your plans for it? Full restore, full custom?
    custom

What kinds of mods do you have in mind? Assuming a built engine, but suspension/wheels, paint (color change or original black?), interior reupholstered? Any changes to the ground effects at all? For the engine, are you planning to stay FWD with an 8V or 16V or are you thinking RWD? The reason I'm asking so many questions is because I'm doing work on my GLHS and I have plans for my other car.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

turbo addict

There are so many different ways to go and I don't even have the car yet, lol.

I can keep it like it is and just button it up. I can do a 16 valve conversion. Maybe a RWD car if I'm dreaming....

More than likely it will have Custom Black Interior, Coilovers, Black Wheels with Matte Silver Lip.

Matte Silver Car Wrap w/ NO Decals. Here is the Car Wrap Picture:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	matte silver car wrap.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	137.6 KB 
ID:	36057  
    Last edited by 168glhs1986; 12-11-2011 at 08:48 PM.

turbo addict

The reason I'm asking so many questions is because I'm doing work on my GLHS and I have plans for my other car.
    What plans are you making......
    Last edited by 168glhs1986; 12-11-2011 at 05:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 168glhs1986 View Post
    Right now I'm thinking.

16v, Custom Black Interior, Coilovers, Black Wheels with Matte Silver Lip, RWD

Can all this be done on a 15k budget, not including cost of car?

Matte Silver Car Wrap Picture:
    Damn, I better get mine finished before you! Going to keep mine 8v FWD, but matte with matte black wheels, all black interior. Well really charcoal and black. Sounds awesome man!!!

And the details for the blue car are under wraps until I can confirm the parts I'm going to use. I'll disclose via PM when I get closer and before I start progress.

turbo addict

Going to keep mine 8v FWD, but matte with matte black wheels, all black interior. Well really charcoal and black. Sounds awesome man!!!
    A Matte Black 87 S and a Matte Silver 87 S, that would be awesome at SDAC on car show day! You're probably aware but Keep in mind I hear the Matte Black paint if VERY DIFFICULT to keep looking nice. Have you thought about a wrap?

And the details for the blue car are under wraps until I can confirm the parts I'm going to use. I'll disclose via PM when I get closer and before I start progress.
    Cool Beans.

Damn, I better get mine finished before you!

You have nothing to worry about....E.T. of completion for me is 2014 ish. Thats about 7k per each build year, lol

boostaholic

AH! 16V come to the dark side Mike! So you have no idea which way your going with this build? I say keep the 86 glhs for your road racer and the TIII 87 glhs for your drag car. Just my 2 cents, well actually just my dream! Cant wait to see where this biuld goes!

Adam

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by lengel View Post
    So you have no idea which way your going with this build? I say keep the 86 glhs for your road racer and the TIII 87 glhs for your drag car. Adam
    Adam, you are reading my mind!

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

"Matte Silver Car Wrap w/ NO Decals. Here is the Car Wrap Picture:"

Who makes these? That's an interesting idea, can you tell us more?

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Masi motor or bust.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Masi motor or bust.
    That's what I'm afraid of....Masi motor bust, lol

---------- Post added at 08:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:06 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by MNmopar View Post
    "Matte Silver Car Wrap w/ NO Decals. Here is the Car Wrap Picture:"

Who makes these? That's an interesting idea, can you tell us more?
    Do a youtube search with car wrap to see how it's done. There is a shop about 50 miles from me that seems to be reputable. www.hideyourride.com

Costs about $1800.00. Protects your original paint....in my case, I'll lay a primer down and wrap it from there.

Everything I've read seems to indicate that the masi motor is inherently more robust than the TIII. If the TIII guys can have as much success as they have been having lately I see no reason why you can't get the masi whizzing along. I think it's a much better valve train design too. Look at the performance bang for the buck with the masi head. Sure, it's much more expensive than doing a 2.4 or hybrid head, but I think it offers better overall bang on the far right side of the bell curve. If you're looking to stay tame I don't think it's for you.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Everything I've read seems to indicate that the masi motor is inherently more robust than the TIII.
    That may be true but finding parts to repair while not impossible is difficult at best. Then you have start making 1-off parts for repair. That's when it get's expensive.

That may be true but finding parts to repair while not impossible is difficult at best. Then you have start making 1-off parts for repair. That's when it get's expensive.
    Very true. I've heard enough stories about the masi unicorn sightings to know that they're out there in force though. Once you go through the wardrobe and make a right a the lamp post they're everywhere I think.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Looks like a solid start! Can not wait to see whats in store for #476

That's what I'm afraid of....Masi motor bust, lol

---------- Post added at 08:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:06 PM ----------

Do a youtube search with car wrap to see how it's done. There is a shop about 50 miles from me that seems to be reputable. www.hideyourride.com

Costs about $1800.00. Protects your original paint....in my case, I'll lay a primer down and wrap it from there.
    I think you'd still want to put down some sort of paint as the primer doesn't fully seal moisture out and I'd worry about water getting around the wrap and causing issues.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by bfarroo View Post
    I think you'd still want to put down some sort of paint as the primer doesn't fully seal moisture out and I'd worry about water getting around the wrap and causing issues.
    Thanks for that tip.

What are you goals for the car?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast