Thread: Dash flocking in a TM

turbo addict

Dash flocking in a TM

I was wondering if anybody in our community has done this or has seen it done to one of our cars?

I am 98% sure I'm going to attempt this with my dash to reduce glare and make it look better as the top part is sun burnt (not cracked..yet). It's not expensive, just messy from what I've read. I've got the dash out now anyways to do some repairs and clean up the mess from the melted potting material from the headlight control module, so this is the perfect time to do this!

turbo addict

Re: Dash flocking in a TM

never heard of it. The only thing I've done is to replace the speaker cover in the top with one from a black car. But then my whole interior is a mix of black and tan pieces.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Take pics.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Hybrid booster

I believe a member in Austria flocked the dash on his Daytona. He is parting the car and getting out of TM's. His name was something like Austrian Dodge.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    never heard of it. The only thing I've done is to replace the speaker cover in the top with one from a black car. But then my whole interior is a mix of black and tan pieces.
    I'm going to have it done that way anyway. I'm fighting with myself right now on what to do about the black plastic...whether to paint it like metal (either stainless or titanium), or just refinish it in black.

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    Take pics.

I will!

Quote Originally Posted by glhs0426 View Post
    I believe a member in Austria flocked the dash on his Daytona. He is parting the car and getting out of TM's. His name was something like Austrian Dodge.
    I think I remember that! Wasn't it a '90-up dash, though?

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Let me know what works for cleaning that headlight module goo
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Force Fed Mopar View Post
    So far....nothing really "works". The best thing I've found is CRC Brakeclean (the red one WITH chlorine), a cloth you don't care about and a LOT of rubbing! It works best if you get any major build-ups off first by scraping it, then using the cloth, ect. I've found NOTHING that gets it out of carpet. I even tried to burn it off with MAPP gas on some of the metal bracing it got on. The result was it turned to liquid and ran. Eventually it would char, but then it was an even larger pain in the arse to get off! (note: DO NOT BREATHE THE FUMES!!! IT IS TOXIC!!) I also wear two pairs of chemical resistant gloves to keep it off my hands.

I'm going to have to replace the carpet in my car because of this crap...well, that and it's a bit worn out on the driver's side. Too bad ACC went up in price. It's now $230 and that doesn't include the trunk. I'm also torn on what color to get that in. I want the seat to blend into the interior a bit more, but I'm afraid that if I try to make large areas inside that color that the whole interior will look like crap because I'll have too many shades of beige. The seats are more of a burnt orange, but they have a brownish tinge to them that makes them work well. It's odd, but it's easier to find material in that color than it is in the original beige that everything is supposed to be! LOL If I do end up going with the seats' color, then I WILL have to break it up with black.

Yeah I tried gas and carb spray, neither really worked very well.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

I pulled the top panel out of my maroon car and painted it with "Bumper black". It's halfway between shiny black and matte black. I'd say it's comparable to the texture and sheen of a modern dash.

But wiping it down to clean it, over time it almost polishes it. It's starting to show a mild shine.
    Ean Orsel - 1987 Chrysler LeBaron coupe (The Blue Baron) 1987 Chrysler LeBaron coupe (The Silver Cloud) 2002 Chrysler Neon LX (Lex) "It has the turning circle of the moon." -Jeremy Clarkson

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Force Fed Mopar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    So far....nothing really "works". The best thing I've found is CRC Brakeclean (the red one WITH chlorine), a cloth you don't care about and a LOT of rubbing! It works best if you get any major build-ups off first by scraping it, then using the cloth, ect. I've found NOTHING that gets it out of carpet. I even tried to burn it off with MAPP gas on some of the metal bracing it got on. The result was it turned to liquid and ran. Eventually it would char, but then it was an even larger pain in the arse to get off! (note: DO NOT BREATHE THE FUMES!!! IT IS TOXIC!!) I also wear two pairs of chemical resistant gloves to keep it off my hands.

I'm going to have to replace the carpet in my car because of this crap...well, that and it's a bit worn out on the driver's side. Too bad ACC went up in price. It's now $230 and that doesn't include the trunk. I'm also torn on what color to get that in. I want the seat to blend into the interior a bit more, but I'm afraid that if I try to make large areas inside that color that the whole interior will look like crap because I'll have too many shades of beige. The seats are more of a burnt orange, but they have a brownish tinge to them that makes them work well. It's odd, but it's easier to find material in that color than it is in the original beige that everything is supposed to be! LOL If I do end up going with the seats' color, then I WILL have to break it up with black.
    Isopropyl rubbing alcohol and an old toothbrush....

I just did this this week to fix mine. You need to try and remove as much as possible by 'rolling it off' in chunks and pull i out. The rubbing alcohol seems to 'help' in the removal on the board and it tends to break it down somewhat. This is safe for the electronics in the board as well and preps it for a good solder joint. I guess I should've taken pics, but it was pretty straightforward for me since I took EET back in college...
    -Nate- ''Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it.'' —Mark Twain

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBaron View Post
    I pulled the top panel out of my maroon car and painted it with "Bumper black". It's halfway between shiny black and matte black. I'd say it's comparable to the texture and sheen of a modern dash.

But wiping it down to clean it, over time it almost polishes it. It's starting to show a mild shine.
    I've thought about doing that as well. If the flocking fails, that's my next go-to.

Quote Originally Posted by 88_pacifica View Post
    Isopropyl rubbing alcohol and an old toothbrush....

I just did this this week to fix mine. You need to try and remove as much as possible by 'rolling it off' in chunks and pull i out. The rubbing alcohol seems to 'help' in the removal on the board and it tends to break it down somewhat. This is safe for the electronics in the board as well and preps it for a good solder joint. I guess I should've taken pics, but it was pretty straightforward for me since I took EET back in college...
    The HCM works fine. The potting has melted all over the backside of the dash making a HUGE mess. That is what I'm removing.

turbo addict

The HCM works fine. The potting has melted all over the backside of the dash making a HUGE mess. That is what I'm removing.
    Gotcha... Have you tried mineral spirits, paint thinner, or turpentine?
    -Nate- ''Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it.'' —Mark Twain

turbo addict

Others have with reported no luck. Most of the parts I'm working with are plastic as well, so I have to be careful about what chemicals, or ----tails of chemicals I use. I don't want to damage parts I no longer have replacements for.

turbo addict

Others have with reported no luck. Most of the parts I'm working with are plastic as well, so I have to be careful about what chemicals, or ----tails of chemicals I use. I don't want to damage parts I no longer have replacements for.
    Ah yes, that is probably true. I would imagine that Min Spirits might have a 'chalking effect' now that I think about it. While it may or may not work, it is probably not worth taking the chance...

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBaron View Post

Wonder how PlastiDip would work out?
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

I did some searching after your post and I think it would look sweet! as vigo posted take pics

Maybe I will I am planning on doing some wheels anyway...
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC