Thread: Want to do SLH1 or SLH2 on 89 Horizon. Have GLH steering knuckles.

Garrett booster

Want to do SLH1 or SLH2 on 89 Horizon. Have GLH steering knuckles.

Springdale, Arkansas
    There are no appropriate cars in the junk yards around here. Everything has been crushed when the price of metal went up.

Need rear brake setup for SLH1 or SLH2.
    Will need 220mm rear brake backing plates if SLH1 along with the parts that can't be bought new, like the arm that connects to the emergency brake cable and the self-adjuster hardware. I think that I can buy the rest of the necessary parts but if you've done this please chime in.

For SLH2 I will need the complete rear disc brake setup and the proportioning valve. I want the parking brake setup with the brake shoes inside of the rotor. I had a 90 LeBaron with rear discs on hold at a salvage yard and was going to swap everything over to my Horizon but the salvage yard crushed it by mistake. "Whoops"

I have 1986 GLH knuckles for the front along with:
    89 Caravan 60 mm KH calipers
    steel braided brake lines
    KYB GR2 struts
    blasted springs primed and painted
    new strut mounts
    control arms blasted and painted with new ball joints and bushings pressed in
    new bushings for the rear stub on the control arms

For the rear I have KYB GR2 shocks with springs blasted and painted.

I have a set of 5x100 14" steel rims with 185/60R-14s waiting for the Horizon because I have bought 3 sets of 15" rims for the 3 other daily drivers below and I have lots of 14" rims and tires available.

This is for a daily driver that takes me 15 miles out to work and 15 miles back 4x a week over heavily patrolled roads at 40 to 50 mph and takes the kids to bb, Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, choir and band activities. NO SPEEDING or any racing activity whatsoever.

I did love the handling improvement in our 91 Caravan when I added Caravan Sport struts, larger front anti sway bar, and rear anti sway bar, 15" rims and lower profile tires. I have appreciated the handling of Fiats and a 67 Corvair I've owned, and a friends 911T. What would be the biggest bang for the buck handling improvement that I can do while this 89 Horizon is up on the jack stands?

Family Daily Drivers:
    91 Acclaim 2.5L
    92 Aclaim 2.5L
    94 Shadow 2.2L
    89 Horizon

Waiting work:
    89 Voyager 2.5L T1 broken oil line to turbo
    91 Caravan 2.5L main and rod bearings, turn crank
    88 Horizon parts donor
    Last edited by AngelesRunner; 12-09-2011 at 10:34 AM. Reason: address

Garrett booster

Re: Want to do SLH1 or SLH2 on 89 Horizon. Have GLH steering knuckles.

AngelesRunner, Pick What you want SLH1 or SLH2 I Have it. Give me a Day to Get the Pricing to gather

David H.

Garrett booster

What have you got for SLH2?
    Have you done this swap before?
    What vehicle will the parts be off of?
    Are the rotors, pads, shoes still usable?

I have two sets, one fully powder coated silver for the rotors, sort of a bubble gum blue for the calipers that have new piston seals. The other set is fresh off a Spirit and I have the dust shields for this set too. I can get the parts together and gets some pics if you're interested. I don't have any of the e-brake setup though. I'm not sure about the adaptation of rear disc with the e-brake, but I've HEARD that it's possible.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by AngelesRunner View Post
    What have you got for SLH2?
    Have you done this swap before?
    What vehicle will the parts be off of?
    Are the rotors, pads, shoes still usable?
    For SLH2 I Have The Front Calipers and Brackets Mini Van. The Rear Disk Assembly With Parking Brake Internal Drum with Proportion Valve In ether solid Disk Or Vented Large Disk I Don’t have any Master Cylinders as The Master cylinder are Cheep new

Yes I have done this swap and it is easy

The Solid rear disks are off of 89 Lebanon Convertibles and so is the Proportion Valve
    The Vented Large rear disks are off of Daytona RT and SE and so are the Proportion Valve,

Some Have Good Pads and Calipers I have New Rotors for the Large vented but not the Solid I have found that you are better off getting the rotors new locally as shipping can come very close to the cost. I do have Some new Parking brake shoes and hold down kits. Your Parking brake cables will work with the Rear disk. The set up comes with the Hoses and Mounting brackets The Stub shaft are the same for drum or disk so you can reuse them.

I will need a couple days to put a kit to gather and get pricing as the Parts are in Storage. If you are still in need PM me and Send me you PH# and Zip code for shipping cost. I will call you

David H.

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

David is a good guy. He has lots of stuff. BTW, Dave....the block goes to the shop tomorrow. Thanks man.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

Garrett booster

You are Welcome Bryan. Glad to see the Block will live on

David H.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    I'm not sure about the adaptation of rear disc with the e-brake, but I've HEARD that it's possible.
    Its cake.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Garrett booster

I don't know what "PM me" means.
    I'll take your recommendation to get the solid disc rotors locally. Autozone and O'Reilly's both have them. Recommendation?
    I'll need all of the rear system parts necessary for starting the rear swap from a bare trailing arm.
    I'll do SLH2 with the solid disc rotors.
    I'll need the appropriate proportioning valve.
    I'm in Springdale, Arkansas 72762, relocated since Hurricane Katrina took out New Orleans.

I have everything for the front brakes.
    Last edited by AngelesRunner; 12-16-2011 at 11:41 PM. Reason: additional information

Garrett booster

Ok I will Pull the parte you need and get the wight for shipping cost. I will Privet Message you With Amount.

David H.

Garrett booster

Just wanted to say that I bought the entire rear brake setup (minus rotors) for doing a SLH2 conversion from 66auto-xcharger, David Howell, and he mailed everything USPS Parcel Post insured the moment that he received my personal check. I thank you heartily Dave and wish you Happy New Year.

David can't walk away from a Mopar car that has exotic parts when he passes through the u-pull-them yards. Whole forum THANKS to Mopar enthusiasts like David for helping us to keep our cars alive and improve them.