Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Team Shelby SCCA Charger #54

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor glhs0075's Avatar

Re: Team Shelby SCCA Charger #54

I had a lot of fun at SDAC 22, but if if had to pick one single favourite moment, it would be hanging out in the hotel parking lot that last night. You had #54 there. I was able to take a really good look at it, and you pointed out all of the unique parts and the little 'cheats' done by Team Shelby. I really appreciated that, and had a lot of fun.

It's kind of funny though; every time you brought #54 by, it would happen to be one of those rare moments when I didn't have my camera with me! Out of the entire time there, I didn't get a single picture of it! Hopefully I'll get another chance to see it again, I'll be sure to have my camera with me next time!

Stephen: 1987 GLHS #0075, 1965 Polara 880 convertible
    SDAC National- proud member
    Western Canada SDAC- proud member
    www.wc-tm.com
    "I am not a number. I am a free man!" Number 6

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by glhs0075 View Post
    I had a lot of fun at SDAC 22, but if if had to pick one single favourite moment, it would be hanging out in the hotel parking lot that last night. You had #54 there. I was able to take a really good look at it, and you pointed out all of the unique parts and the little 'cheats' done by Team Shelby. I really appreciated that, and had a lot of fun.

It's kind of funny though; every time you brought #54 by, it would happen to be one of those rare moments when I didn't have my camera with me! Out of the entire time there, I didn't get a single picture of it! Hopefully I'll get another chance to see it again, I'll be sure to have my camera with me next time!
    I must admit that I really enjoyed SDAC22 and wish I would have had more time to spend at the various events.
    Thanks for your post and kind words.

turbo addict

Subscribed! I love this type of historical stuff!

Garrett booster

Yeah it was very cool to learn about them at the tech session, then go outside and see one in person. I didn't take pics either, I think I was too busy staring. Great job as the MC of the tech session Ken. I remember the swirl head on an '85 and thought it was strange until Jon Trotter set me straight. Great piece of TM history, one of the many highlights of the show.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by rooferchris View Post
    Yeah it was very cool to learn about them at the tech session, then go outside and see one in person. I didn't take pics either, I think I was too busy staring. Great job as the MC of the tech session Ken. I remember the swirl head on an '85 and thought it was strange until Jon Trotter set me straight. Great piece of TM history, one of the many highlights of the show.
    Thank you.
    By the time the actual tech night occurred, I was wiped out.
    I had actually tried to pull this off the prior year for SDAC 21 but the trip out of state was an issue due to schedule conflicts.
    I have known many of them for many years, worked with most of them, and have friendships with some of them.. but this putting this together was a completely different situation.
    Four weeks prior to the event, I was working through scheduling issues, participant issues, and near cancelling the event.
    It wasn't until the Friday before that I had a 100% commitment from everyone which then left coming up with how to manage the time, topics, and personalities.
    The fact that it came together and fell in place literally within hours prior to the tech session was a complete miracle.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by 5DIGITS; 02-18-2013 at 10:26 AM.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 5DIGITS View Post
    Thank you.
    By the time the actual tech night occurred, I was wiped out.
    I had actually tried to pull this off the prior year for SDAC 21 but the trip out of state was an issue due to schedule conflicts.
    I have known many of them for many years, worked with most of them, and maintained close friendships with some of them.. but this putting this together was a completely different situation.
    Four weeks prior to the event, I was working through scheduling issues, participant issues, and near cancelling the event.
    It wasn't until the Friday before that I had a 100% commitment from everyone which then left coming up with how to manage the time, topics, and personalities.
    The fact that it came together and fell in place literally within hours prior to the tech session was a complete miracle.

Thanks again.
    Congrats to you on all that hard work. It paid off in a big way IMO. That session will be talked about for years to come. I know myself and Jon Trotter will always remember it if for nothing other than the first comment being about how Team Shelby whooped up on the BMW guys at their first race. We came into the tech session after speaking with a good friend's father who was going on and on about the BMWs contemporary to ours. At that moment I knew that it would be a very special night to say the least.

Hybrid booster

It has been a while since I have posted any updates...

It has been a very busy summer and the Team Shelby Charger has received changes to slowly retain/re-gain the car to its glory days.
    The latest addition has been the installation of the original machined rims that were used for increased brake cooling.
    Here is how they look with a set of NOS Gatorbacks installed.
    Although there are no cracks in the rubber, they are as hard a shopping cart wheels.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shelby_54.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	193.8 KB 
ID:	46378

In addition, nearly all of the original decals have been located or reproduced.
    In time, the car will be straightened and painted.

Thanks for looking.

It has been a very busy summer and the Team Shelby Charger has received changes to slowly retain/re-gain the car to its glory days.
    The latest addition has been the installation of the original machined rims that were used for increased brake cooling.
    Although there are no cracks in the rubber, they are as hard a shopping cart wheels.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shelby_54.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	193.8 KB 
ID:	46378

In addition, nearly all of the original decals have been located or reproduced.
    In time, the car will be straightened and painted.

Thanks for looking.
    haha, awesome Ken!!! Man I had a blast riding in that thing the last SDAC in Detroit! Looking forward to seeing it return to it's former glory with fresh paint and decals!
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

boostaholic

oh man, Ken i am so glad to see progress on her!! the next time we meet, i want a rip in her!! preferably around some sort of closed course track but the streets will be just fine with me!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 22shelby View Post
    oh man, Ken i am so glad to see progress on her!! the next time we meet, i want a rip in her!! preferably around some sort of closed course track but the streets will be just fine with me!!!
    Jaren, the rides are limited. I'll let you know if Ken will allow it.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

That looks great Ken. I love the look of the modified wheels. I've been thinking of doing that to my pizza wheels on the Omni.

boostaholic

wow, what a car
    That's not age, that's the way they were new.

boostaholic

hey there buddy, i donated parts to get this car back in the hot seat... lol... i don't have a rod shift trans so i gave up the GLHR end links to Ken in preservation to a car i fell in love with... i would hope that would atleast get me a few up and down shifts along with a few 2G left and right turns

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor CNH320's Avatar

Hey Ken, conveniently there is an SDAC-GL meet on Woodward this thursday night. Maybe you ought to try out those new wheels. Just sayin'
    -Chris H
    1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #91 E85 Powered
    2012 Dodge Charger SRT8

Shelby Dodge Auto Club National Member

SDAC Great Lakes Chapter & SDAC Ontario Chapter Member

Quote Originally Posted by 22shelby View Post
    hey there buddy, i donated parts to get this car back in the hot seat... lol... i don't have a rod shift trans so i gave up the GLHR end links to Ken in preservation to a car i fell in love with... i would hope that would atleast get me a few up and down shifts along with a few 2G left and right turns
    Ok, ok!! haha Man if you get to ride in it, it's SCREAMin' fast for what it's got. Makes me realize how inefficient mine is.

boostaholic

lol im just razzin ya.. i too one day would like to take a rip in your yellow track machine!! i think it would be a heck of a photo op to see all of the SDAC race ready SCs lined up... from the SCCA cars to the full on drag cars!! they have all proven themselves time and time again and continue to do so!! this is making me want a 2 door L-Body

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

That car definitely ended up in the right hands!...

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Hybrid booster

All of you are great !

I did make it to the Woodward cruise but brought a different vehicle.
    Chris, I got there a bit later after you'd already left - I'm looking forward to getting caught up.

The deal I made with myself is that anything that does not move under its own power by fall, is gone.
    A few have received notice of this, what 30 years of involvement has piled up, and what may become available, as a result.
    Currently, #54, the 600es, and the 87 CSX have all been receiving attention and the newly built 85 Shelby Charger is nearing a road test.
    This is why the Team Shelby car has been receiving attention, to secure its home.

Thanks again to all that responded and thanks for your supportive comments.

Glad to hear that you're making forward progress. It can be hard to keep moving when there is so much stuff in the way. Best of luck as you thin your collection.

Mitsu booster

Amazing looking car for sure!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast