Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New MBC install

Hybrid booster

New MBC install

My old MBC did fine but after I went on a run with one of my local car clubs I was getting some spikes to 24 psi or so. It would usually spike to 20-22 then settle at around 19.

I got to thinking how nice it would be if I could turn that boost controller down from inside the car but I didn't want to run long vac lines because it is best to have the least possible distance between the mbc and wastegate.

Was real curious as to what might be out there beyond the world of grainger valves (not that there is anything wrong with that) and found this hallman evo RX. The RX is a ceramic ball that seems to weigh absolutly nothing and the evo part is a cable ----pit adjustment. (I guess you cant actually use that bad word for the interior of a car on this site?) So we have to say penis pit? OK the evo part is a penis pit adjustment. Sorry wasn't trying tp talk about my ----. Didn't realize ----pit was verbotten.

Anyhoo.

Here it is and how I installed it.

First the controller itself.

Next thing was to find a vac source close to the turbo. I eliminated my EGR of course and had an alum block off plate in place of the egr deal on the intake so I just tapped that and installed a nipple yes I said nipple.

Then I needed a place to mount it. I was going to just remove one of the bolts that holds the 2 piece together but the I realized that it was going to be almost impossible to get the bolt started with that long stiff cable connected to the MBC. I found a longer bolt and just ran it past the top of the intake and used a nut to hold the MBC in place.

Now I had to find a place to run that cable through. Best place I could find was the grommet where all the wires come through the firewall to go the the logic module. I drilled through that grommet (yes I did cut some of the precioius shleby metal but not too much). The metal you see the cable going through here is actually the bracket that holds the wire grommet.

Next thing is to hook up the hoses to the MBC. They are nice and short as they should be.

Took me a while to figure out how to mount the adjustment knob where I wanted it but I finally tried just putting it through the hole and leaving the mt bracket on the back of it. Worked out perfect.

So the question is how does it work? It's night and day over the MBC I was using. It is currently set at 19 psi and that's exactly where it stays. Pretty much --- soon as you floor it until past redline. With the old MBC it would spike to 22ish psi and immediatly drop off. Now it just holds wherever it is set. Car actually feels faster with slightly lower peak boost. It just holds it more consitantly.

Re: New MBC install

you've elevated penis-pit adjustable boost controllers to a new high level Chad. excellent.

now all you need is a little tire-burning icon next the cig lighter.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Very nice! Thanks for the write up!

turbo addict

Very cool. I also have a hallman boost controller and it is awesome. Sorry TM people, but the Grainger just fails compared to the ease and boost control of one of these. Try C0ckpit.

turbo addict

Chad, nice write up. How much is this Hallman RX MBC and where did you purchase it from?
    Todd

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus86GLHS View Post
    you've elevated penis-pit adjustable boost controllers to a new high level Chad. excellent.

now all you need is a little tire-burning icon next the cig lighter.
    Agreed, + you managed to make "as" a forbidden word! lol

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    Chad, nice write up. How much is this Hallman RX MBC and where did you purchase it from?
    Todd
    Thanks Todd. I got it on ebay for $139 + $8 shipping. was the cheapest price I could find on the evolution rx. Name of the seller was importblowoutsales.

It really works great. I took the car up to my bro-in-laws garage for winter storage today and got no spiking on the freeway. even at full throttle in 5th gear it was staying right at 19. I turned it down one full turn for giggles and it went right to 15 psi. Super happy with this setup. Dialing it in initially was a piece of cake too. No stopping to open the hood etc. just reach over and spin the knob.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Agreed, + you managed to make "as" a forbidden word! lol
    Ha ha...I saw that after I posted but I was too exhausted to figure out what happened there.

turbo addict

Great installation / super functional. Where do you plug your phone charger or gps into for the longer trips?

Just ordered one for #168
    Last edited by 168glhs1986; 12-09-2011 at 01:56 AM.

turbo addict

I think price went up to $159.00. I told them I had a friend who recommended it and they bought it for $139.00 and they gave it to me for $149.00. Thanks Chad!

turbo addict

$150+???!?!?! I like it but man the price is just killer.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    I bought mine used off of here for around $30. Should be able to find good deals. I never had a MBC work as good as this one. Rock solid boost with no creep even running a stock SRT-4 turbo.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by 168glhs1986 View Post
    I think price went up to $159.00. I told them I had a friend who recommended it and they bought it for $139.00 and they gave it to me for $149.00. Thanks Chad!
    Wow they did jack the price. Glad they gave you some off. You're going to love it!

turbo addict

So they ship me a purple one! WTF? So instead of going through the return b.s., Merry Christmas Brother D. I ordered another black one. If they ship another purple one I'll send both of them back and buy from someone else.

looks like Chad's mod is catching on over here. post up pix of your install if you don't mind.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    Any Really high quality Metering (accurate) valve like this is $'s. I use to use brass ones from a local supplier that were 75.00. Very accurate, very stable boost and lb/lb control. You still had to figure how to mount it and make up the rest of the kit though.......

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

Hybrid booster

Would love to find a cheap one or maybe trade someone out of a purple one... I mounted my start button in the old cig lighter hole and used the top of a cig lighter to finish it out. Now it looks like a cig lighter again.

turbo addict

Here is how I mounted/routed mine. I routed the lines so that I could easily switch from PCM controlled boost to the MBC. I just removed the lines and spin the connector to go back to the solenoid. This makes driving to the track on a stock wastegate and PCM boost more comfortable. As anybody knows with a srt, the AGP gate, and a stock turbo is very boost happy.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0510.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	512.5 KB 
ID:	36110Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0511.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	506.9 KB 
ID:	36111

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Any Really high quality Metering (accurate) valve like this is $'s. I use to use brass ones from a local supplier that were 75.00. Very accurate, very stable boost and lb/lb control. You still had to figure how to mount it and make up the rest of the kit though.......
    You can get this same controller without the c0ckpit control and the ceramic ball for $70. Spring and ball boost controllers are def not created equal. I had an nxs boost controller that was $19. It worked pretty well for what it was but there is no comparison to this hallman deal. Once I got on the highway with the old boost controller it seemed like the setting went out the window. I had it set at around 20 (I have to say around because it was different all the time). When I would nail it in 5th on the highway it would go way up to 24-25.

The Hallman is set to 19. It hits 19 psi and holds it exactly. On the highway when I was driving the omni up to store it I did some 4th and 5th gear pulls. on one pull in 5th it hit like 19.5 which actually surprised me because I had gotten so used to it being dead on at 19.

I love the fact that these cars are so cheap to make fast but I have to say the hallman is defenitely worth the bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mopar318 View Post
    Here is how I mounted/routed mine. I routed the lines so that I could easily switch from PCM controlled boost to the MBC. I just removed the lines and spin the connector to go back to the solenoid. This makes driving to the track on a stock wastegate and PCM boost more comfortable. As anybody knows with a srt, the AGP gate, and a stock turbo is very boost happy
    Nice mount spot there. Almost can't even see it. Looks like it's easy to get to the adjuster too but once you've dialed the boost in from turning the cig lighter knob it's hard to go back to the pull over and pop the hood method.....Name:  tongue.gif
Views: 280
Size:  1.0 KB

Hybrid booster

Finally found one of these for a "too good to be true" price. Wife got it for me on Ebay for my birthday for 45 plus shipping new in box with cable kit!!

Pics when I get it installed.

Hybrid booster

Nice score! Happy birthday.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast