Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: high horsepower handling setup, alignment, etc... (T3 L-body)

Garrett booster

high horsepower handling setup, alignment, etc... (T3 L-body)

hi all,
    has anyone with a fairly high horsepower setup on a street car encountered squirrely handling as the power rolls in?
    this is on a Omni GLHS with a T3 and coil over suspension, when the power comes on in 3rd and 4th around 5000-5500 the car really is tough to keep in a lane. the power curve is really extremely peaky right now which I think is contributing to the problem, and I did remove the equal length half shafts but it didn't seem to make the problem any worse.

has anyone had luck with any particular alignment settings to keep the car a little more stable when the power kicks in? this isn't nearly as bad at 15psi but at 18+ on the street it is really wicked. right now I have 1 degree of negative camber front with .05 degrees positive toe. the tires are brand new as are all suspension bushings and springs and shocks, spring rate is 450/350 on the car currently but really it does it regardless of how the shocks are set up.

estimated wheel hp at 18-20psi is about 375,... dyno'd power at 16psi was 332 but like I said it is peaky which I'm sure is a big part of the problem. this isn't really noticable on the drag strip with slicks but with the street tires its a bear.

any ideas?

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: high horsepower handling setup, alignment, etc... (T3 L-body)

I have the smae problem with my Glh and even tried the alignment with the front end lifted 2 inches and set toe to .6 and still have same results. I will be keeping an eye on this Thread, sorry i cant help ya out.

turbo addict

What are you running for a diff and what type of bushings ???

Quote Originally Posted by omnigoestohell View Post
    hi all,
    has anyone with a fairly high horsepower setup on a street car encountered squirrely handling as the power rolls in?
    this is on a Omni GLHS with a T3 and coil over suspension, when the power comes on in 3rd and 4th around 5000-5500 the car really is tough to keep in a lane. the power curve is really extremely peaky right now which I think is contributing to the problem, and I did remove the equal length half shafts but it didn't seem to make the problem any worse.

has anyone had luck with any particular alignment settings to keep the car a little more stable when the power kicks in? this isn't nearly as bad at 15psi but at 18+ on the street it is really wicked. right now I have 1 degree of negative camber front with .05 degrees positive toe. the tires are brand new as are all suspension bushings and springs and shocks, spring rate is 450/350 on the car currently but really it does it regardless of how the shocks are set up.

estimated wheel hp at 18-20psi is about 375,... dyno'd power at 16psi was 332 but like I said it is peaky which I'm sure is a big part of the problem. this isn't really noticable on the drag strip with slicks but with the street tires its a bear.

any ideas?
    It's the toe. Toe out really does make the car squirrely under power. In tinkering with my car, I've found that zero toe or even a hint of toe in really does make a difference in settling the car under high power. It's definiltey a more conservative setting and will make it a bit slower to respond at turn in, but for a car that will see all 350 hp running through the front wheels drag racing, road coursing or street driving, I think it's worth it.

Autox guys love some toe out for the turn in, but it seems that most of them that love it are also working with 150 hp. :-)

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor rx2mazda's Avatar

hi all,

any ideas?
    Yes, turn the boost down to where the tires keep traction. This isn't an alignment issue, its a traction/differential issue. You should have seen me trying to keep Jacksons Iroc RT in one lane @ 35psi at SDAC.....DJ and Slowe got a good laugh.
    Carroll

SILVER, 85 GLH-R/T, TIII powered, Fueltech, ID1300's. PTE5857
    RED, 91 Spirit R/T - Holset HE351 - 12.6 @ 107...R.I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by rx2mazda View Post
    You should have seen me trying to keep Jacksons Iroc RT in one lane @ 35psi at SDAC.....DJ and Slowe got a good laugh.
    Rookie....

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    Rookie....
    LOL shut up Pat! We tried 0 toe with Jacksons car, no difference. On slicks it was fine, on street tires it was a nightmare.
    Carroll

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

As said, what bushings or engine mounts? An LSD helps big time. What tires, and agreed with Pat, try to keep it a 0 toe or a bit negative.

Rookie....
    LMAO.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Garrett booster

Carroll, I did see you trying to keep it in a lane, I was behind you in Jackson's black Iroc. Also got some spray from the coolant in his Spirit hehe.

So tires are 140 treadwear Hankook RS-3's, the diff is a Quaiffe, tranny is a 568 w/ 3.50fd and the bushings are all poly... engine mounts are a mix of home brew and spiva's stuff but all good and solid.

Pat, I'm glad to hear you say something although Gus had always explained kind of the opposite, I seem to recall he liked some toe out and the power pulls the wheels together/straight but I'm not sure what he actually was using to measure this or if it was based in any scientific fact. Do you suspect that Gus may have been wrong in this conclusion?

I'm probably going to get some alignment tools myself and play with that to see if it makes a differnece. What do you recommend for starters?

The tires want to push out from the front when driving down the road, this makes it more squirelly, RWD are much worse as they can move the toe alot more. If you set a bit of neg toe, they will straighten out hence making it less twitchy. FWD's don't have much toe change except if the front end moves up and down alot.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

The Quaiffe and Quaiffe style OBX diffs make the car edgy... will allow you to change lanes by throttle alone. This is more on an uneven street surface than a smooth track, but still can happen. Even my slow T2 Shadow does on street tires. Good idea on toe in.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Garrett booster

Yes, JT I should have stated it is WAY worse on old pavement than on the sections that have been recently repaved. I will try some toe in. I know if I do it myself with the tape measure it gets measured in fractions of an inches, if I have an alignment shop do it what should I try one degree neg to start?

No, not that far... I would start with 0°

Yeah, being used to it in my Shadow, had a blast driving Craig's GLHS (more power, twice the squirley) at the Shelby Bash a couple years ago. Anyone else that drove it thought we were crazy tho LOL

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!

Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    An LSD helps big time.
    This is not true. An LSD actually makes torque steer worse!

This is due to the way a ATB differential operates. You ever heard of guys complaining about torque steer with an open diff on street tires? No. When that one tire looses traction under power, all the power is sent there and you have a nice peg leg burnout. Your not fighting the steering wheel. In an ATB LSD when that one tire starts to loose traction it gets less power, the one that has traction gets more - then that tire starts to loose traction so back to the other tire the power goes. This transfer of power/wheelspeed is not seamless and thats why you are fighting the steering wheel left and right. On slicks and a flat surface(the track)you don't get these problems but, on street tires and a crowned/uneven road its a problem.

You have a torque steer issue, not an alignment issue. Can you make you torque steer issue better with an alignment tweak? Maybe.....a little IMO. Be sure to keep us posted on what you find out!

EDIT: JT posted up a shorter version of this post while I was typing! lol
    Carroll

Ca
    Pat, I'm glad to hear you say something although Gus had always explained kind of the opposite, I seem to recall he liked some toe out and the power pulls the wheels together/straight but I'm not sure what he actually was using to measure this or if it was based in any scientific fact. Do you suspect that Gus may have been wrong in this conclusion?
    Gus may have been right if he had crappy old rubber bushings in the control arms, which knowing Gus was likely the case! God knows how much his control arms were moving in those bushings!

Front end up and down movement will definitely alter the toe. Look at the tie rods, if they are roughly parallel to the ground at rest, any suspension movement up or down will pull the toe out a bit.

I did have an issue with my quaiffe a few years ago, but the symptoms were a bit different. If I was on the gas, it pulled one way, off the gas, it pulled the other way. It sounds like your issue is more alignment based to me.

---------- Post added at 01:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:54 PM ----------

This is not true.[B]
    You have a torque steer issue, not an alignment issue. Can you make you torque steer issue better with an alignment tweak? Maybe.....a little IMO. Be sure to keep us posted on what you find out!
    I'm not suggesting that an alignment will make it straight as an arrow under hard acceleration, but some toe out is making it way worse.

This is not true. An LSD actually makes torque steer worse!

This is due to the way a ATB differential operates. You ever heard of guys complaining about torque steer with an open diff on street tires? No. When that one tire looses traction under power, all the power is sent there and you have a nice peg leg burnout. Your not fighting the steering wheel. In an ATB LSD when that one tire starts to loose traction it gets less power, the one that has traction gets more - then that tire starts to loose traction so back to the other tire the power goes. This transfer of power is not seamless and thats why you are fighting the steering wheel left and right. On slicks and a flat surface(the track)you don't get these problems but, on street tires and a crowned/uneven road its a problem.

I don't have that issue, except when the control arm bushing's wear, it was worse with an open diff, for me, anyhow.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Engine side-to-side positioning plays a big part too. Take the wheels off and remove the axle nuts. Now use a screwdriver/extension/whatever to push each axle inwards as far as you can and measure how much it moves. Should be the same on both side. Not sure why it makes a difference, but it does. Have done this on both mine and DodgeZ's cars, along w/ a tape-meaure alignment and camber setting, and have very little torque steer, if any. And his Omni was making 315/370 at the wheels w/ a OBX diff.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

turbo addict

It's the toe. Toe out really does make the car squirrely under power. In tinkering with my car, I've found that zero toe or even a hint of toe in really does make a difference in settling the car under high power. It's definiltey a more conservative setting and will make it a bit slower to respond at turn in, but for a car that will see all 350 hp running through the front wheels drag racing, road coursing or street driving, I think it's worth it.

Autox guys love some toe out for the turn in, but it seems that most of them that love it are also working with 150 hp. :-)

I agree it's toe that makes it twitchy, but I found it's negative toe or toe out that makes it better.

I found when the front raises, the camber moves toward negative and the toe moves toward positive. I set my shadow at .5degrees negative camber and .2 degrees negative toe. Although most friends who drive my car find it unbearable, it's an improvement.

Other fixes are better tires, but you seem to have that covered with your 170 treadwear rating. Sometimes it's just the road.

Good point Jamie...

Not for cornering, but for drag racing, jack up the front to about as much as it lifts during launch (will vary from car to car) and then put camber and toe at 0°

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

turbo addict

Gus may have been right if he had crappy old rubber bushings in the control arms, which knowing Gus was likely the case! God knows how much his control arms were moving in those bushings!

Front end up and down movement will definitely alter the toe. Look at the tie rods, if they are roughly parallel to the ground at rest, any suspension movement up or down will pull the toe out a bit.

I did have an issue with my quaiffe a few years ago, but the symptoms were a bit different. If I was on the gas, it pulled one way, off the gas, it pulled the other way. It sounds like your issue is more alignment based to me.

---------- Post added at 01:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:54 PM ----------

I'm not suggesting that an alignment will make it straight as an arrow under hard acceleration, but some toe out is making it way worse.
    +1 on the toe. Set toe at zero. Also what is your sway bar setup like? The stock style bushings all the the sway bar to bind up, and keep the control arms from moving when they need to. Heim joint the ends like this. http://www.pnw-sdac.org/gallery/v/Me...Bar+End+Links/ Allowing the control arms to move will help to keep the traction more even. The sway bar still functions and functions like it should have.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast