Page 17 of 52 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: lengel's TIII Omni GLH progress (used to be spirit r/t)

turbo addict

Re: lengel's TIII Omni GLH progress (used to be spirit r/t)

Quote Originally Posted by lengel View Post
    Mr Slowe will be doing the cage. The 2660 weight was with the snowflake wheels so there will be some weight loss there too.
    Nice. Slowe Speed cages go the fastest ! Yea I'm guessing 40 ish lbs saving just from the wheels swap.

boostaholic

lengel's TIII Omni GLH progress (used to be spirit r/t)

Bought a set of kirkey pro street seats today. Bare seats weigh 12.5 lbs I'm hoping they will be no more then 20 lbs once the covers are on and mounting brackets are made. This should cut at least 16lbs off each seat . Took the heater box, and everything that goes with heating system. That got me about 20lbs. Also took the fog lights off and that was about 8lbs.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

is this car going to be full race duty? you may want to retain a makeshift heater core/5" computer fan setup strictly for defrost. when the sun goes down at the track ive had the windows fog up some if its cool.

knowing you, some aluminum brackets to hold it would be cake to make.

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

I've made 2 6000+ mile round trips to SDAC with no HVAC. The first half to Maryland I had absolutely nothing. While there I was gifted a 12V oscillating dash fan from the Chicago crew and it has been a very welcome addition. I would re commend something like that at a minimum.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    is this car going to be full race duty? you may want to retain a makeshift heater core/5" computer fan setup strictly for defrost. when the sun goes down at the track ive had the windows fog up some if its cool.

knowing you, some aluminum brackets to hold it would be cake to make.
    We'll it seem it's quickly turning into one. Lol They make some anti fog products that I will try first, and if the doesn't work I will look into something like you or DJ said.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by turboshad View Post
    I've made 2 6000+ mile round trips to SDAC with no HVAC. The first half to Maryland I had absolutely nothing. While there I was gifted a 12V oscillating dash fan from the Chicago crew and it has been a very welcome addition. I would re commend something like that at a minimum.
    Great to hear DJ! Did you use any anti fog products? Where did you mount the fan? How much did the fan weigh?

turbo addict

How much did the fan weigh?
    Haha. Serious about weight savings eh?

Time to get a trailer and a tow rig.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor rx2mazda's Avatar

I used anti-fog, never had an issue.
    Carroll

SILVER, 85 GLH-R/T, TIII powered, Fueltech, ID1300's. PTE5857
    RED, 91 Spirit R/T - Holset HE351 - 12.6 @ 107...R.I.P.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rx2mazda View Post

Well yeah, of course not, if you never *drive* it

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

turbo addict

I never had much of a problem in Utah (dry) unless I leaned forward in my seat and was breathing directly into the windshield. I really have not driven much in Seattle but knowing how my other cars are I spent forever researching online to find the electric heater that would suit my needs for defogging/defrosting. Been sitting on a shelf. Safety wise I think its important. One of those nasty humid rainy days can be a nightmare. Dry towel :P
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor rx2mazda's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    Well yeah, of course not, if you never *drive* it
    LOL, your such a comedian...It will make its' return this Spring!
    Carroll

SILVER, 85 GLH-R/T, TIII powered, Fueltech, ID1300's. PTE5857
    RED, 91 Spirit R/T - Holset HE351 - 12.6 @ 107...R.I.P.

turbo addict

Anti-fog stuff works pretty well, you just have to make sure that you keep applying it in intervals. I used to use it on the inside of my motorcycle helmet. It worked great for about a week...then I had to reapply it. In a car it might not be as bad...I dunno, I haven't tried it yet! LOL

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    Anti-fog stuff works pretty well, you just have to make sure that you keep applying it in intervals. I used to use it on the inside of my motorcycle helmet. It worked great for about a week...then I had to reapply it. In a car it might not be as bad.. I haven't tried it yet! LOL
    They make an anti fog liquid for dive helmets available at most dive shops in 50 ml bottles. It is by far the best anti-fog for glass ever made.

turbo addict

I will have to look that up! Thanks for the info!

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

Wow, someones gettin real serious, real Fast! lol Ive always chickened out when it comes to the HVAC, just because of how driver friendly I need the Charger to be and because up here in the Great White North its a safety requirement.

Good to know its worth 20lbs all the same, I looked at it years ago and was thinking 10-15 tops!

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

I suppose one could replace the heater core and associated plumbing with an electric unit, as I believe someone here did, some kind of heat exchangers /element was retrofitted to the core box, or just plumb the defroster ...

Mike

- - - Updated - - -

I suppose one could replace the heater core and associated plumbing with an electric unit, as I believe someone here did, some kind of heat exchangers /element was retrofitted to the core box, or just plumb the defroster ...

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

turbo addict

Just a note to some as in some classes of racing you required to have one for widow foging and as a fire break . IF removed the inlet hole for the havc needs to be plated off .

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by 168glhs1986 View Post
    Haha. Serious about weight savings eh?

Time to get a trailer and a tow rig.
    Haha! May be one day, but for now I like the idea of having a car I can drive to the strip, bolt slicks on, rip out some 10sec passes, bolt street tires back on, and drive home.

Quote Originally Posted by rx2mazda View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    Anti-fog stuff works pretty well, you just have to make sure that you keep applying it in intervals. I used to use it on the inside of my motorcycle helmet. It worked great for about a week...then I had to reapply it. In a car it might not be as bad...I dunno, I haven't tried it yet! LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by 86TSiGuy View Post
    They make an anti fog liquid for dive helmets available at most dive shops in 50 ml bottles. It is by far the best anti-fog for glass ever made.
    Great to hear this guys! makes me feel alittle better about getting rid of hvac stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Wow, someones gettin real serious, real Fast! lol Ive always chickened out when it comes to the HVAC, just because of how driver friendly I need the Charger to be and because up here in the Great White North its a safety requirement.

Good to know its worth 20lbs all the same, I looked at it years ago and was thinking 10-15 tops!
    HAHA yeah It seem that way! I never thought I would turn into a pound counter, but as you know every little bit adds up, and when you want to cut 350lbs out of a car every little bit helps.

Been thinking of going manual brakes. Did you use a stock master cylinder off 78-82 omni or did you go with something aftermarket?

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

HAHA yeah It seem that way! I never thought I would turn into a pound counter, but as you know every little bit adds up, and when you want to cut 350lbs out of a car every little bit helps.

Been thinking of going manual brakes. Did you use a stock master cylinder off 78-82 omni or did you go with something aftermarket?
    Every bit surely counts when trying to drop weight! I think the fact that I knew I was keeping the HVAC box made me More desperate to count lbs and oz in the other areas I went after.

I used the manual brake set-up from an Omni (pedals and master) I believe it was the 7/8 bore. I wanted to find a 21mm which I believe is the smallest one out there, but the 7/8 worked out so well I completely forgot about it.

So, Omni factory pedal and master into adjustable Wilwood prop valve then my own modded front and rear Wilwood/87-88 rear disc set-ups. Would have to look back on my notes, but I'm pretty sure I shed 50-60lbs off the whole set-up and came away with Much Better brakes than I ever had before

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Great to hear DJ! Did you use any anti fog products? Where did you mount the fan? How much did the fan weigh?
    I didn't use any fog products but I also haven't experience a bad hot and humid rain storm in it. That being said, if you're anything like me you won't be driving it if the forecast says hot humid rain. And I don't want to trick you into thinking it makes the car comfortable on a hot day, more just bearable. The trip back from Detroit with the sun beating on me for 12 hrs on a 90-100F day is what made me say enough is enough and I bought a truck that summer. Short trips wouldn't be near as bad though.

This is the fan that they got for me and right now I have an aluminum dash in so it is just screwed on in the center. Once I get the CF dash complete I will be looking for something more discrete that I can mount underneath and maybe cut a couple small vents in the dash. The fan itself probably weighs 1-2lbs.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0002666614713_500X500.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	48160