Page 39 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2935363738394041424349 ... LastLast

Thread: lengel's TIII Omni GLH progress (used to be spirit r/t)

boostaholic

Re: lengel's TIII Omni GLH progress (used to be spirit r/t)

So here's the low down on what i did to get to this point.

First was to find a bearing with a smaller cup/outer race diameter then the srt4 cup, but still used a 1.625 diameter on the bearing/ inner race. Luckily I found one that works and can be bought at autozone.

Next I bored both bearing retainers for the new cup/outer race. Both had to be bored to the existing bore depth, and a .100 shim was made and used between the driver side cup and retainer.

I used the a568 ring gear, and machined the center out, and finish bored it to 4.475". The 4.475" bore has to be on the absolute center of the gear, since this bore will center the gear on the diff. I also machined .050" step at 6.45 diameter into the face of the gear.

This is a pic of the locating hub machined into the srt4 diff. This also needs the be on the absolute center of the diff, since the ring gear locates on this hub.

This pic show the machining needed to the opposite side of the ring gear flange. First there was .100" machined off the thickness of the ring gear flange. The ring gear bolt circle on the Srt4 is 137.5mm and uses a 10mm bolts. The a568 ring gear uses a 139.5mm and a 12mm bolt. So since the a568 use a 2mm bigger bolt and a 2mm bigger bolt circle you can re drill the srt4 diff to the 139.5mm bolt circle (a568), and since it use a bigger bolt hole all the old hole are cut away. Now you need to counterbore the hole .250 deep for use with a set of arp bolts.

Last a little clearancing is needed on the case to clear the ring gear flange.

Couple more pics

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

That's freakin awesome.
    The beauty of this is that you can find SRT-4 diff's fairly cheap.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

How hard was that gear to machine?

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by 168glhs1986 View Post
    This is getting good. Im glad Adam isnt into Hondas.
    Haha! Well Hondas have the R&D done. Well it's never done done, but they are light year ahead of us. So that makes it a lot easier to have a fast honda then a fast TM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiritman View Post
    Just something to consider. I'm not sure if it is affordable or not. My friends big dollar mustang uses a "slippery" clutch, much like a sled. So the car doesn't see full power till the rpm's get up. Might be something valuable for the big hp guys.
    Sounds pricey! I would love to see a link to the clutch you are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    That's freakin awesome.
    The beauty of this is that you can find SRT-4 diff's fairly cheap.
    Just got my srt4 quaife for $316 shipped off ebay few weeks ago.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    How hard was that gear to machine?
    Both the ring gear and the diff were case hardened. So good carbide tools are needed to cut it.

boostaholic

Got the srt4 axles today. Looks like the sealing diameters line up just fine on both axles, and the speedo gear even lines up. So it looks like 2015 I will be running stock srt4 axles, so we will see how they hold up.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lengel View Post
    So it looks like 2015 I will be running stock srt4 axles, so we will see how they hold up.[/IMG]
    So the lengths are right for the Omni?...

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

That is Samokin Great news!!!! SRT-4 axles are TOUGH! (the 2004.5/ 2005 ones anyway)

+ by the looks of it you also get to use the Solid Factory half shaft! That's a Huge added bonus!!!!!!!

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Hope you don't join the input shaft club! I think the reliability of their axles is overblown due to the input shaft weakness. Obviously if its the same material its size is an advantage for us.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by zin View Post
    So the lengths are right for the Omni?...

Not sure about this yet. The passenger side I'm not worried about. I will shorten the half shaft if I need to take some length out. The driver side may need to be shortened but I won't know that for sure till I get the trans with the srt4 diff in the car.

Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    That is Samokin Great news!!!! SRT-4 axles are TOUGH! (the 2004.5/ 2005 ones anyway)

+ by the looks of it you also get to use the Solid Factory half shaft! That's a Huge added bonus!!!!!!!
    Yeah I read the same thing. The 2004 and 05s are better. These I got from LKQ and are from a 2005. They also said I get a 6 month warranty on them still a lot to do, and figure out but it is looking very promising.

Quote Originally Posted by Ondonti View Post
    Hope you don't join the input shaft club! I think the reliability of their axles is overblown due to the input shaft weakness. Obviously if its the same material its size is an advantage for us.
    Haha yeah I hope I don't either! I did a image search for broken srt4 axles and I didn't see any break where are axles do. It seems most that break them are do to wheel hop form stock rubber mounts and bushings. A lot of guys are running 10s on stock axles,and these guys are heavier then my car. So we will see.

Yeah I read the same thing. The 2004 and 05s are better. These I got from LKQ and are from a 2005. They also said I get a 6 month warranty on them still a lot to do, and figure out but it is looking very promising.
    I wasn't talking about anything I read. I was talking about Personal experience with a Full bodied SRT-4 running 26" slicks with Zero issues. That same SRT-4 originally had the 03 axles and broke both before switching.

Robert Mclellan
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    I wasn't talking about anything I read. I was talking about Personal experience with a Full bodied SRT-4 running 26" slicks with Zero issues. That same SRT-4 originally had the 03 axles and broke both before switching.
    That's great to hear! How / where did the 03 axles break? Have you seen or heard of any srt4 axles twist off the spines in the diff like we do?

turbo addict

A buddy broke his at the outer joint last time to the track. Passenger side shaft. (04 srt4) But I imagine it was due to wheel hop.

Amazing work as usual!

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    Man and I thought I got a good deal. Wish I had face book. I would buy both.

That's great to hear! How / where did the 03 axles break? Have you seen or heard of any srt4 axles twist off the spines in the diff like we do?
    I may still have them somewhere, but I think they sheared After he splines, more in the shaft area. They worked fine with 24" slicks for several years, but as soon as the 26's went on they didn't last long, breaking one after the other on the same day. Full bodied SRT-4 + driver must be in the 3200lb range. After the 26's went on and with 9psi in them, the car was cutting consistent Low 1.7 60's. (1.72-1.73) Haven't seen any twist that spline area.

Robert Mclellan
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!

turbo addict

There's a speedo gear on the SRT-4 passenger axle? I thought Neons had the speedo gear on the diff?

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    There's a speedo gear on the SRT-4 passenger axle? I thought Neons had the speedo gear on the diff?
    Not only is the speed gear on the axle, but line up perfect with the sensor port, and it's the same pitch and diameter! So we will be able to run the 568 sensor as is. Here are the two side by side. The srt4 axle is the one on the right.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    The T850 uses the same external VSS and drive gear setup as our old stuff. The T350 has the plastic gear on the differential.

turbo addict

Welp...I just learned something new! Thanks for the education guys!