Page 40 of 52 FirstFirst ... 3036373839404142434450 ... LastLast

Thread: lengel's TIII Omni GLH progress (used to be spirit r/t)

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: lengel's TIII Omni GLH progress (used to be spirit r/t)

Nice work Adam.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

...on your color TV screen... Turbo Mopar Contributor Reeves's Avatar

Once you are done with this are you going to start selling your machining services on the ring gear and diff? Maybe like a "kit" deal?

I'd be willing to fit it all in a A555

James Reeves - Reeves Racing
    World's Fastest 8 Valve - 146.88 mph
    86 GLH-T 9.99 at 143.78 mph
    86 GLHS #169 Mom's - complete Super 60 car
    87 Shelby Z 14.16 Dad's - mostly stock, no sh*t!
    88 Shelby Z 13.5 - been in storage for 15 years
    03 SRT-4 12.24 Mom's
    07 Charger 5.7L 12.48 Dad's

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Absolutely badass! So when is the group buy for the kit?!?!?

BTW... I can get SRT-4 DSS axles too

...and the next item on the list is a straight cut gearset

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanmanČ View Post
    Nice work Adam.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Reeves View Post
    Once you are done with this are you going to start selling your machining services on the ring gear and diff? Maybe like a "kit" deal?

I'd be willing to fit it all in a A555

I would like to offer this as a kit/service, but as of now I can't do any more side work, and that is kinda why I did a "how to" description of what needs to be done. This way you could have any machine shop do it. I may be able to do them in the future. Also I would want to test this out before I would feel comfortable selling any.

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    Absolutely badass! So when is the group buy for the kit?!?!?

BTW... I can get SRT-4 DSS axles too

...and the next item on the list is a straight cut gearset

Thanks JT! I would like test this out before selling anything. Also like I said above I can't do anymore side work as of now.

Yeah I talked to DSS shop about my broken axle and srt4 axles. What really turned me off to the L5 axles for are cars is they use stock inners. Since that's what we break on are axles, I don't see them being worth the cash. I did ask them about making custom inners, and they said that the market is not big enough. So this is really what sparked the idea of using the srt4 diff and axles. First I will be using stock srt4 axles since I have heard such good things about them. If the stockers break I will be going with DSS since they use custom inners on there srt4 axles.

I think I will go auto before I go down the straight cut gear road.

...on your color TV screen... Turbo Mopar Contributor Reeves's Avatar

How much beefier is the SRT4 axle inner? (od to od?)

James Reeves - Reeves Racing
    World's Fastest 8 Valve - 146.88 mph
    86 GLH-T 9.99 at 143.78 mph
    86 GLHS #169 Mom's - complete Super 60 car
    87 Shelby Z 14.16 Dad's - mostly stock, no sh*t!
    88 Shelby Z 13.5 - been in storage for 15 years
    03 SRT-4 12.24 Mom's
    07 Charger 5.7L 12.48 Dad's

Quote Originally Posted by lengel View Post
    Thanks JT! I would like test this out before selling anything. Also like I said above I can't do anymore side work as of now.

Yeah I talked to DSS shop about my broken axle and srt4 axles. What really turned me off to the L5 axles for are cars is they use stock inners. Since that's what we break on are axles, I don't see them being worth the cash. I did ask them about making custom inners, and they said that the market is not big enough. So this is really what sparked the idea of using the srt4 diff and axles. First I will be using stock srt4 axles since I have heard such good things about them. If the stockers break I will be going with DSS since they use custom inners on there srt4 axles.

I think I will go auto before I go down the straight cut gear road.
    Good idea to test but you know I'd offer to test it for you Bummer on no more side work!

I'm not sure who you talked to at DSS but I think we could talk them into a group buy of custom axles with larger inners, but this might not be needed if the SRT axles are a drop in once the diff is modded. I think they would be a little long for L-body, but OK for everything else?

Its a visible difference you can see in Adams pic below... When I broke the inner spline end off DSS asked if SRT4 axles fit. I forget do you run unequal length? Have you broken a pass side inner?

Not only is the speed gear on the axle, but line up perfect with the sensor port, and it's the same pitch and diameter! So we will be able to run the 568 sensor as is. Here are the two side by side. The srt4 axle is the one on the right.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!

Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

boostaholic

They are around .09" bigger in diameter. Not a lot but I like hearing that full weight srt4's are not breaking them at the end of the splines. I also like the idea of having a stronger part available (DSS custom inners) if we start breaking the stock srt4 axles. Oh and the splines on the end of the bars are bigger as well.

Good idea to test but you know I'd offer to test it for you Bummer on no more side work!

I'm not sure who you talked to at DSS but I think we could talk them into a group buy of custom axles with larger inners, but this might not be needed if the SRT axles are a drop in once the diff is modded. I think they would be a little long for L-body, but OK for everything else?

Its a visible difference you can see in Adams pic below... When I broke the inner spline end off DSS asked if SRT4 axles fit. I forget do you run unequal length? Have you broken a pass side inner?
    Length may be ok for non L body cars. For my car I plan on shortening the jack shaft to be able to use a stock srt4 axle on the passenger side. From my measurement the driver side axle is about 1" longer then the L body axle, so the drive side will need to be shortened some.

boostaholic

The start of another trans project .

turbo addict

The start of another trans project .
    Looks like what I was saying we needed to do when JT killed his last bearing plate.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Are you using your mill as a type or FARO arm to map out the holes? If so what a great idea!

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Ondonti View Post
    Looks like what I was saying we needed to do when JT killed his last bearing plate.
    Yeah when i took the trans apart this last time. I was looking over everything and was seeing some funny ware patterns on 1st and 2nd gear on the input. I think the stock plate is flexing ALOT more then we think! I think making a stiffer plate will make the trans a lot happier. I plan on integrating the steel bearing backing plate into the this custom steel end plate, but this will only be done on the input shaft. Im thinking this will keep the shafts from moving all over the place, and make the trans alot stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by turboshad View Post
    Are you using your mill as a type or FARO arm to map out the holes? If so what a great idea!
    You got it! I just use the spindle prob to get a X and Y dimension for each feature i was want. Then use those dimensions to draw it in mastercam, and transfer and rotate it to how i want to machine it.

Making that aluminum plate out of CM? I've seriously cracked 3 of them in the last A568 (the one that split in half)

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

boostaholic

Making that aluminum plate out of CM? I've seriously cracked 3 of them in the last A568 (the one that split in half)
    Yeah that's the plan, 4140 end plate.
    Wow I knew you cracked one, but I thought that was due to the threads pulling out of the aluminum? Did you rip the threads out on all the plates you cracked?

turbo addict

Wow I knew you cracked one, but I thought that was due to the threads pulling out of the aluminum? Did you rip the threads out on all the plates you cracked?
    Any way to integrate a different bearing setup when starting from scratch so we can kill two birds with one stone? This plate modification seems to be a requirement on almost all transverse transmissions out there that handle a lot of load. I do wonder if the bolt holes for the case can handle a stronger and tighter fastener.

Is this a one off with your new side job restrictions?

I think this is a LOT more important modification to do whem you have gone and upgraded the axles and decreased the chances of that being your fuse.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Ondonti View Post
    Any way to integrate a different bearing setup when starting from scratch so we can kill two birds with one stone? This plate modification seems to be a requirement on almost all transverse transmissions out there that handle a lot of load. I do wonder if the bolt holes for the case can handle a stronger and tighter fastener.

Is this a one off with your new side job restrictions?

I think this is a LOT more important modification to do whem you have gone and upgraded the axles and decreased the chances of that being your fuse.
    What were think as far as a different bearing setup?

As for now it will be a one off so I can test it out this season, and it also looks promising I will be able to do side job in the future.

One thing that concerns me is I don't know if the stock end plate was installed on the case when they machined the bearing bores at the factory. If thats the case depending on how close they held there tolerances this first end plate Im making may only work for the trans case that I took the dimension from. I'm going to measure a few stock end plates, to see how close they hold to each other. Hopefully they are spot on and this first end plate could be mated with any case.

Cool... Want to make more? They crack from the axial force of the shaft into the plate putting it in bending. They crack from the bearing hole to the bolt holes shortest path then the bolts get loose. This is why we need straight cut gears...

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

boostaholic

Cool... Want to make more? They crack from the axial force of the shaft into the plate putting it in bending. They crack from the bearing hole to the bolt holes shortest path then the bolts get loose. This is why we need straight cut gears...
    Yes this is why i want to incorporate the bearing backing plate into the bearing support plate over the input shaft. Doing this you will have to modify/cut the bearing backing plate, and only use the three bolt around the intermediate shaft. My thought is doing this will eliminate all the load from the input shaft going into those 4 bolts.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

The bearing bulkhead plate is listed in the parts manual as its own part number and the service manual says it can be changed independently of the case. The differential cover is what cannot be changed as those are machine matched to the case at the time of manufacture.
    1994 Shadow Sedan. 2.2 N/A, A568 400,000 miles. "the science experiment"
    1987 Shelby CSX #418. Long term rebuild and restore ?

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post
    The bearing bulkhead plate is listed in the parts manual as its own part number and the service manual says it can be changed independently of the case. The differential cover is what cannot be changed as those are machine matched to the case at the time of manufacture.
    Freakin awesome!!!! This saves me a lot of work. I still think I will check one more just for piece of mind. Thanks!!!

turbo addict

What were think as far as a different bearing setup?

As for now it will be a one off so I can test it out this season, and it also looks promising I will be able to do side job in the future.

One thing that concerns me is I don't know if the stock end plate was installed on the case when they machined the bearing bores at the factory. If thats the case depending on how close they held there tolerances this first end plate Im making may only work for the trans case that I took the dimension from. I'm going to measure a few stock end plates, to see how close they hold to each other. Hopefully they are spot on and this first end plate could be mated with any case.
    Well, bearings options are not great, try sourcing a proper one one these days for the driver side without getting one of the few remaining at dealerships. I wondered if a tapered bearing that requires shimming could be used when the plate is completely replaced. Bearings that wont also go defunct a few years from now would be awesome. I kinda figured you could easily create different sleeves for the intermediate shaft that allows fitment of various ID bearings and then the plate could be machined for that bearing. Same on the driver side except the case hole would be a seperate mod if not matched up.