Page 51 of 52 FirstFirst ... 41474849505152 LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 1030

Thread: lengel's TIII Omni GLH progress (used to be spirit r/t)

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor Turbo Joe's Avatar

Re: lengel's TIII Omni GLH progress (used to be spirit r/t)

Adam, just as long as you get it to cecil for the invasion, I would be totally stoked if Carroll gets his omni there too with me and my car!
    Turbo Joe
    ----------------------- 87 CSX #175 TIII powered, MegaSquirt3 Pro Ultimate, GTX3076R, Turbo Joe header, Lengel intake, Menegon ported head, the list goes on

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor rx2mazda's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo Joe View Post
    Adam, just as long as you get it to cecil for the invasion, I would be totally stoked if Carroll gets his omni there too with me and my car!
    I plan to be at Cecil...my car will be racing.

Congrats on the Baby Lengel. Go Auto and run 9's.

Quote Originally Posted by rx2mazda View Post
    Go Auto and run 9's.
    Hmm, Auto trans. is not the performance panacea most believe it to be. I ran a manual for eight years before I switched, and in many ways regretted the change. I found the auto was harder to consistently stage than the manual, gave up MPH, and is just not as much fun to drive. Automatic trans. net ET is very dependent on torque converter characteristics and to get a really good one is not cheap, and is trial and error till you get that right, unless you are real lucky.
    I still believe some or maybe most of the breakage you manual trans guys are having could be lessoned to a large degree by changing your launch technique. I always ran through the clutch for the first ten feet or so, and I never broke anything, not even axles; maybe just lucky, I only wore out syncros. the available clutches have come a long way in the last ten years so I know they hold a lot of power.
    I have been contemplating switching back to manual, just for the fun of it. I think my car would be just as fast.............I think
    best 1/8 ET-6.16 sec. best 1/8 speed-119.70 Best 1/4 MPH 145.5, Best 1/4 ET 9.65 sec. 8 valve NO NITROUS!!

turbo addict

Carbon/Carbon (gets grabbier with heat/slipping), staging brake, clutch damper (screen door etc), very light flywheel (which I hate Fidanza wise), or just a careful foot with no care given to clutch wear (which a lot of us don't have). Seems like you were almost trying to break the next component to prove your axles would survive. Guess you won!
    Watch every shop built DSM/Evo vs their customers. Even easing into the clutch they still pull very good 60's and don't break like their customers.

BTW, with the terrible engagement of the Fidaza clutch (that seems to promote clutch slip too) I don't think my clutch ever grabbed as hard as on an OEM plate. OEM plate my car wouldn't even move.

I really don't think the big damage was done on 3rd gear, but that did it in.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Quote Originally Posted by Ondonti View Post
    .......Seems like you were almost trying to break the next component to prove your axles would survive. Guess you won! .......

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

I'm with Warren and Brent on launch technique or a mechanical way to assist a softer launch. I started pulling my knee to my chest b/c that takes longer than just using your ankle or side stepping. On the next build I'll be working with a hydraulic clutch so I'll have some options to fool with. Short of that your only choice really is to convert to a T850 and look at some of the stronger input shafts b/c we all no auto is never an option.

turbo addict

I saw a conversation on the Megasquirt facebook page about using the magnus launch control throwout solenoid along with Megasquirt, had to be MS3 to use the speed sensor to avoid activating after the launch. A positive stop would also help delete some of the dead space. Pretty sure I have seen people converting things to hydraulic without throwing in the whole transmission.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turboshad View Post
    I'm with Warren and Brent on launch technique or a mechanical way to assist a softer launch. I started pulling my knee to my chest b/c that takes longer than just using your ankle or side stepping. On the next build I'll be working with a hydraulic clutch so I'll have some options to fool with. Short of that your only choice really is to convert to a T850 and look at some of the stronger input shafts b/c we all no auto is never an option.
    Driver Mod!!!

Do you guys really find it that hard to just come up off of the clutch less aggressively? (to go to all the trouble, when you can just Adjust your driving)

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Seems like converting to a hydraulic TOB would be a option. Tune engagement with orifices to slow clutch engagement.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Driver Mod!!!

Do you guys really find it that hard to just come up off of the clutch less aggressively? (to go to all the trouble, when you can just Adjust your driving)
    I started pulling my knee to my chest b/c that takes longer than just using your ankle or side stepping.

You of all people I expect to be better at reading the whole post. Now as far as adding mechanical control, I'm an engineer so I like doing those things and tinkering with them. I also don't get to the track enough to become consistent so I am looking at ways to make my car quicker and more consistent at the track on any day in any weather with any track prep. Don't forget I'm one of the ones that got into the 10s on stock axles only breaking one along the way and it wasn't even at the splines.

turbo addict

You don't need to go to a full hydraulic TOB to control the release. Just use a master and slave cylinder hooked to the arm. I know I've seen that done before.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

You of all people I expect to be better at reading the whole post. Now as far as adding mechanical control, I'm an engineer so I like doing those things and tinkering with them. I also don't get to the track enough to become consistent so I am looking at ways to make my car quicker and more consistent at the track on any day in any weather with any track prep. Don't forget I'm one of the ones that got into the 10s on stock axles only breaking one along the way and it wasn't even at the splines.
    Yeah yeah, I guess I wasn't getting why You of all people (Knowing the good success you've had) would go to all that trouble when you are Already a Good driver and can only improve with more seat time and understanding of what's needed.

Plus I don't like to over-complicate things, and I see people run into more trouble doing that, then just keeping it simple.

But hey, as long as you're having fun doing it................

Carry on!

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

turbo addict

Simple, simply changing axles. Lengel is in the upper tier change input shafts crowd now though Not really worth it over a mistake that could happen every time.

boostaholic

Just got my solid aluminum engine mount finished. Just have to drill the two holes that mount it to the frame rail. Next I'll be doing the trany mount.

This car is work of art! Nice work Adam.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by lengel View Post
    Just got my solid aluminum engine mount finished. Just have to drill the two holes that mount it to the frame rail. Next I'll be doing the trany mount.

It's a thing of beauty Adam.
    Just incredible. Simple, yet profoundly ingenious.

turbo addict

hope you don't have any fillings, cause they'll rattle out now.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    hope you don't have any fillings, cause they'll rattle out now.
    Solid mounts aren't that bad... even towing a trailer... on 40-series rubber... with stiff springs... for over 1000 miles in 5 days

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lengel View Post

What's the end game here? Less weight? Less movement? Both?

I would assume less movement to help resolve the axle issues.