Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What is the best buy wideband on the market right now?

turbo addict

What is the best buy wideband on the market right now?

Xmas is coming up and Ive got about $250 to play with to buy a wideband. Im looking at the PLX, innovate, and AEM. The AEM is the cheapest by far, and the other two are about the same price. I would like to datalog down the road, but that may be a while and isnt a deal breaker right now. I just dont want to lean out a motor and blow it up. What are you suggestions? BTW I searched this topic and all the thread were old, and the market seems to have changed since then.

Thanks!

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Re: What is the best buy wideband on the market right now?

Innovative just came out w/ a new digital wideband, controller is built into the gauge, like $180 shipped on ebay.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

turbo addict

This one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Innovate-MTX...sories&vxp=mtr

That does look very nice. Anyone have one?

turbo addict

My AEM has been good. Both my cars have the exact same one, they both datalog. Regardless of who makes it, expect to change the sensor every 3 years as they seem to weaken and produce faulty readings. Otherwise, enjoy!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shadow88 View Post
    My AEM has been good. Both my cars have the exact same one, they both datalog. Regardless of who makes it, expect to change the sensor every 3 years as they seem to weaken and produce faulty readings. Otherwise, enjoy!
    Do they actually data-log, or are you just referring to the different outputs? (ie the 0-5V out)...

I don't know if either one has on-board memory to independently data-log, but then I'm not familiar with all the features of the MTX

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

turbo addict
    The AEM is the worst one in my eyes, no datalogging, no PC interface (usable).

Innovate one is good, the lc-1 is crappy and doesn't hold up to underhood heat, the mtx is great.

I have a tech edge, its good and datalogs but with the drop in the US dollar worth, the conversion to Australian dollars screws you over. I bought mine for 150, but now its 200 or more.

This one has caught my interest, datalogs and all too.

http://14point7.com/SLC-Pure-Plus-2.php
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Force Fed Mopar View Post
    Innovative just came out w/ a new digital wideband, controller is built into the gauge, like $180 shipped on ebay.
    I have two mtxl's, just watch out for buying from a non-authorized distributors on ebay, i love mine they are great

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by shackwrrr View Post
    the lc-1 is crappy and doesn't hold up to underhood heat,
    Where'd you put it? right on the turbo? Mine both sit on the drivers side tranny mount and have been fine for years.

Garrett booster

Using the PLX here. Slightly more involved than my old AEM to install but it refreshes faster and has multiple outputs and support for datalogging. Good build quality too.

turbo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    Where'd you put it? right on the turbo? Mine both sit on the drivers side tranny mount and have been fine for years.
    On the firewall under the wire harness flap.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

I like that SLC one, since it will datalog other things too.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

I've only used the Innovate stuff and no complaints, they even warrantied 2 old LC1's I bought used and gave me them for free.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by zin View Post
    Do they actually data-log, or are you just referring to the different outputs? (ie the 0-5V out)...

I don't know if either one has on-board memory to independently data-log, but then I'm not familiar with all the features of the MTX

Mike
    Oh yeah, my mistake. I datalog through the megasquirt system, the wide band's only an input. Whoops!

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by shackwrrr View Post
    On the firewall under the wire harness flap.
    So just about the hottest place you could put it.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    So just about the hottest place you could put it.
    meh, an underhood device should still handle the heat.

I really like the LC-1. I like that you can get it without the gauge. I also like that you can datalog serially, and control the outputs. I use the narrow band gauge as a wide band in the power range 11-12AFR. If it is lit up in between I know I'm good and I don't have to process what the numbers mean or which color is lit up when I hit 25psi. If you have time to stare at your wideband you aren't going fast enough : ) Mine is always under the hood. I'm thinking about getting a 2nd one soon.

I had a JAW, I liked it, but it broke. AEM is non-programmable and it is common for them to give different readings from the 0-5 out vs. the gauge display. Friend had an old PLX, it was cool, he has a LC-1 now and he likes it better.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

My MTX-L slowly stopped turning on during a period of 2 weeks and then I went without for 6 weeks while they took their sweet time. I could have returned and received a base model zeitronix unit 6 times in that period.
    I would have paid more to avoid that situation. My Zeitronix only ever went in to get updated after I popped the old style fuse inside and they upgraded it to all the good stuff for 30 bucks. Never had a failure on its own but its not made in a sweat shop.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

turbo addict

Bring this old thread back since I am the OP lol. Currently torn between the MTX and the AEM. They are the same price one ebay, otherwise I would let that make the decision lol. Im leaning toward the MTX because of the good stuff I have read about on their customer service. On the other hand, a buddy of mine just put a AEM in his EVO and is really happy with it.

turbo addict
    If you just want to watch it, arm is fine. If you want to log, output to ecm, possibly expand your data log setup then mtx.

The problems people (including me) had with innovate were with the LC-1 mounted in the engine compartment. With the mtx inside the car you won't have the issues.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFromHell View Post
    Bring this old thread back since I am the OP lol. Currently torn between the MTX and the AEM.

Let me help.

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showth...t=innovate+aem

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast