Thread: SMEC in a SBEC car...

Garrett booster

SMEC in a SBEC car...

Has anyone successfully ran an 89 SMEC in a 92 sbec car? Can the 92 60 way connector be de-pinned or pins added to run the SMEC?

turbo addict

Re: SMEC in a SBEC car...

I am very curious to know the answerer to this too. I would love to swap my CSX to SMEC so it matches my other cars...

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Its more complicated than that, the SMEC has 2 connectors, the fuel rail connector is different too. IIRC, the SBEC piggy backs or controls the interior computer stuff too so the SMEC won't work.

I am sure Shelgame will pipe in soon.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

It think what you are thinking of with the SBEC controlling the Body Module is really just the CAN bus, which may or may not be present on the SMEC... If not, maybe it could be added to the cal?

BTW, wasn't 89 SBEC, not SMEC? My only reference is the 89 CSX I did a J/Y parting on, I could have sworn it had a single plug... Which would make it a SBEC car.

I'm curious as to why one would want to go backwards, especially since it would be a bit of a chore... The only reason I can think of would be due to the lack of cals for the SBECII, which the 92 would be. Now, going from a SBECII to a SBEC(I), I would expect to be a much easier swap, almost plug and play...

Mike

PS Rob can set this all straight I'm sure. Also, he is working on getting cals for the SBECII.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

turbo addict

89 CSX was sbec, but everything else in 89 was smec. Makes me wonder how hard/easy it would be to convert that specific car since more then likely I would think its a modified smec harness anyways. Probably the easiest way to convert the CSX would just be a 89 smec harness, since they do exist.

Garrett booster

That's exactly why I want to do that... No cal for the 92. I want to swap the new style interior into my DD. I know Russ Knize did it in his 86? Turbo Z? So, I know that has been done, just looking for a stop gap to keep all my goodies till the 92 cals are figured/sorted out...

turbo addict
    Should be easy, have to de-pin and re-arrange. The injectors would need paired up for batch fire and wires moved to the 16 pin. The other wires from the 16 pin are still there in the sbec just included in the 60 way. So its just sitting down with the diagrams and making up a chart.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFromHell View Post
    89 CSX was sbec, but everything else in 89 was smec. Makes me wonder how hard/easy it would be to convert that specific car since more then likely I would think its a modified smec harness anyways. Probably the easiest way to convert the CSX would just be a 89 smec harness, since they do exist.
    They needed the SBEC with the added drivers do drive the VNT solenoids, at bit ahead of its time,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

'89 CSX was the first SBEC car. All the other '89's were SMEC. Chrysler didn't use the CAN bus until '96 at the earliest. In our cars, they used a proprietray bus called CCD. The SMEC has it available, though it's an older generation than the SBECII. I don't know if the datastream is compatible or not. In '89 it was used for the TCM only - no body computer.
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Quote Originally Posted by 89scottytona View Post
    That's exactly why I want to do that... No cal for the 92. I want to swap the new style interior into my DD. I know Russ Knize did it in his 86? Turbo Z? So, I know that has been done, just looking for a stop gap to keep all my goodies till the 92 cals are figured/sorted out...
    OK, I get it, but I'd suggest going with a SBEC(1) till the SBECII cals are ready, the changes should be minimal (maybe moving a few wires) and everything else should still work, and if anything won't work with a SBEC is sure won't with a SMEC! Assuming he datastream is compatible, and I don't think the code changed much, if at all while it was used, so long at you can hook up the CCD wires from the SBEC(1) to your CCD wires you should be golden... and if it doesn't work, as far as I can tell no harm, no foul.

---------- Post added at 08:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:48 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ShelGame View Post
    '89 CSX was the first SBEC car. All the other '89's were SMEC. Chrysler didn't use the CAN bus until '96 at the earliest. In our cars, they used a proprietray bus called CCD. The SMEC has it available, though it's an older generation than the SBECII. I don't know if the datastream is compatible or not. In '89 it was used for the TCM only - no body computer.
    CCD, that's what I meant, but couldn't get off the "CAN".... I'd bet it would work, I can't imagine what would be left out of the datastream the trans would see that he internal stuff would need... But then again, I'm not even sure what "internal" stuff would need the CCD info, beyond the traveler that is...

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

- Edmund Burke

Garrett booster

So, judging by the replies, no one has done this? I knew about the injectors being batch fired. Just hoping for a more directed approach. It is what it is... Now to find wiring diagrams for both cars....

I bet I can get the SBECII code done before you can get the car's wiring converted and working
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Garrett booster

Sir.. I don't doubt you one bit... I'll Prolly be one of the first to try out the new calibration. I have one from you in My 89 right now And I love it! Hence why the computer swapping question...

Quote Originally Posted by ShelGame View Post
    I bet I can get the SBECII code done before you can get the car's wiring converted and working
    Do I hear a bet?

Garrett booster

With help... Maybe... By myself... Prolly not... But ill give it a go...

Sounds like a lot of work to be able to use an existing computer... and one that is a "step (or two) down" from what you have now... You are a motivated individual!

Mike

- Edmund Burke

Dis-assembly is now done. Just have to convert it to template format...
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Garrett booster

Ok.. I'm pretty sure you have won here... LOL. I still have interior pieces to buy, oh and see about finding an injector harness, not to mention that I have to strip my old (89) interior out, remove all wiring carefully and install all the 92 stuff... So, without a fight here I cave. How long you think a test cal will be ready?

Mike... If you have seen my car, you can see why I'm motivated...

Scotty
    Last edited by 89scottytona; 11-23-2011 at 07:00 PM.