Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to build an intercooler

Re: How to build an intercooler

Mufflers.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Stellar work as always Aaron. Sheesh, I still remember when you were that semi-talented 17 year old kid in trade school making 407HP in a Charger Always a treat when you show your current projects That twin set up for an R8 or a Prancing Bull or?

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    Stellar work as always Aaron. Sheesh, I still remember when you were that semi-talented 17 year old kid in trade school making 407HP in a Charger Always a treat when you show your current projects That twin set up for an R8 or a Prancing Bull or?
    Ha! I figured that car dissapeared from most people's memories! Thanks much Alan, i always keep trying to progress.

Thats actually for a prancing horse. ;-) 458 Italia TT.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 8valves View Post
    Ha! I figured that car dissapeared from most people's memories! Thanks much Alan, i always keep trying to progress.

Thats actually for a prancing horse. ;-) 458 Italia TT.
    No, we never forget.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

...on your color TV screen... Turbo Mopar Contributor Reeves's Avatar

Wow!! Cool stuff! Makes me want to go work on my van.....hurt piston Miss it...

James Reeves - Reeves Racing
    World's Fastest 8 Valve - 146.88 mph
    86 GLH-T 9.99 at 143.78 mph
    86 GLHS #169 Mom's - complete Super 60 car
    87 Shelby Z 14.16 Dad's - mostly stock, no sh*t!
    88 Shelby Z 13.5 - been in storage for 15 years
    03 SRT-4 12.24 Mom's
    07 Charger 5.7L 12.48 Dad's

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

If it hadnt been on 93 i would have forgotten.. honestly. lol

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

turbo addict

photo bucket pics aren't showing up

Ah ----, I think I moved the links. I will have to redo it, damn. Sorry.

Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

Trying to revive this thread and hope this doesn't qualify for hijacking.

Aaron, I currently have the Spearco same-side unit TU/FWD has been selling for some time. (1060 cfm?) I have a 2.2 T-III with a 6262 that will run about 20-22psi max on the street, and wish to push it to 30-34 on a few occasions if I get all my eggs in that one basket. I have been looking at the Treadstone coolers and really like their -vertical- designs similar to the Spearco I have. The Spearco's core is 6"x18" and Treadstone offers a core of 6"x25" *or* 9"x25". I'd really like to have a Garrett core, but the Treadstone is half the price. Does the Treadstone core quality really reflect their prices, or are they really that good? (or Garrett you pay for the name?)

Thanx for your input!
    Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar
    have a look at my feedback on the forum. all positive.

Steve

'90 VNT competition package Shadow - T-III SC6262 conversion/restoration
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red
    '67 Barracuda 273 now, 440/727 awaits....

Quote Originally Posted by Directconnection View Post
    Trying to revive this thread and hope this doesn't qualify for hijacking.

Aaron, I currently have the Spearco same-side unit TU/FWD has been selling for some time. (1060 cfm?) I have a 2.2 T-III with a 6262 that will run about 20-22psi max on the street, and wish to push it to 30-34 on a few occasions if I get all my eggs in that one basket. I have been looking at the Treadstone coolers and really like their -vertical- designs similar to the Spearco I have. The Spearco's core is 6"x18" and Treadstone offers a core of 6"x25" *or* 9"x25". I'd really like to have a Garrett core, but the Treadstone is half the price. Does the Treadstone core quality really reflect their prices, or are they really that good? (or Garrett you pay for the name?)

Thanx for your input!
    I personally think that Garrett cores are really that good, but then again I'm someone who doesn't complain about saving up to buy a GT series DBB turbo either. I just value good quality parts like that.

I have no experience with the Treadstone products, so I can't really say if the unit would or wouldn't hamper you from a technical standpoint.

The only real advice, and take it for what it's worth, is can you use the money you saved on the IC and put it towards something else on the car equally important? The money spent to me is sometimes peace of mind that you won't run into an issue with it. I guess that's why I'm not the best gambling kind of guy.

I moved my links so here are the pictures again, with final dyno results.

The van came in with a mitsu and a stock intercooler setup with raised boost.

I changed it to my EQ header from my Daytona, a .63 turbine housing Mopar + turbo with a 2.25" SV, and this custom intercooler setup, with a new calibration to get rid of the RRR, map bleeder, and G valve setup. The results were between 50-60 WHP and TQ across the board at the same target 20 psi.

Granted the Mitsu setup wouldn't hold boost up high like this will now, but the results are pretty good. It's fun to drive!

Power Gain

Torque Gain

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

That's a pretty big gain for sure. How much of it do you think came from the tuning vs. the hardware? Any way to guesstimate that?

Hard to say. I'm not thinking a great deal, simply because the van was pretty strong as it was. Funny though, as the cam was off a tooth retarded! I don't think it would've picked up a lick of power straight up, but it surely would've died a lot sooner. For a mitsu 2.5 it revved waaay too easily, which made sense once the new stuff went on and the power was down.

It took some investigating but got it figured out. To be honest, it made the mitsu combo much better than they usually are, as the peaks were settled down and it carried power much farther than most.

The AFR on the old setup, while not my preferred method of fuel mods, was pretty close to where they were left on the calibration. There's a bit more timing in it now up top to help carry the powerband with the cam straight up.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Wow, thanks for the info.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123