Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to build an intercooler

turbo addict

Re: How to build an intercooler

When you run a "more tubes, less length" intercooler and rely on air slowing down as it goes through the greater number of tubes, it works great at a lower HP number. At a high HP number you don't have a restriction but now the air is moving quite fast and while its making more power then a long intercooler with half the flowpath, its not going to cool well. It works well as long as you are nowhere near the limit of the flowpath. I guess you need both the flowpath AND the cooling capacity required for your turbo outlet temps. If you run that super huge intercooler at half capacity, then you will not be as happy as the version with less cooling capacity or just an overall smaller intercooler. Low boost setups don't put as much heat into the charge so they can get away with a different intercooler style too. Then I have heard E85 guys sometimes ditching their cooler.
    Last edited by Ondonti; 11-22-2011 at 03:57 AM.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

I have only backpurged on aluminum in rare cases on old used parts to try to help. Other than that with aluminum it shouldn't be necessary. Also on my intercoolers i weld the inside ofnthe seams and the outisde, where possible. You could also call it GTAW welding. But TIG is easier.

Cordes, simply for packaging and appeaeance. I like the added symmetry with the mirrored tanks. And no, ive never done routing baffles inside a core.

Its tough to describe about the idea behind the core. I tjink Ondonti is getting what im trying to say. You need to find a compromise between flow and restriction. I like to use Garrett cores because i have had great luck with them doing the hard work of the design process on the core, then i just have to make a nice directional end tank.

---------- Post added at 07:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:59 AM ----------

As promised IC is mounted and charge and intake plumbing tacked up. Should be finish welded and up and running later tonight if things go well.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Wow, very nice!

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

So essentially choosing a cooler is simply finding the right compromise between flow and cooling, correct? I think that is easy enough for us all to grasp. What isn't easy for most, is how do you tell how much compromise there is? Tube size, tube spacing, length, etc, we know they are factors, but how do you tell how much of a factor each one is?

Maybe we need a new thread to discuss Started one here:

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...747#post869747
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

So between your header and this intercooler im figuring the guy is going for a larger than stock turbo as well. What turbo is on this van? I assume it's something relatively mild since it still has a 1pc on it.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    So between your header and this intercooler im figuring the guy is going for a larger than stock turbo as well. What turbo is on this van? I assume it's something relatively mild since it still has a 1pc on it.
    Yup, pretty mild combo to just be fun and useable. It has the header and turbo (Mopar + unit) from the Daytona.

It was on a Mitsu and +40's with a RRR and AFPR, and a G valve boost control, and a cut out raiser bleeder. I got rid of all that and did a 3bar calibration and boost control, the header/turbo, the IC, and a downpipe without a section of 2 1/4" in it like the old one had. And a fuel pump/filter, etc.

It made 176whp/261 WTQ at 18 psi when it came in. Dyno to follow on how the changes helped out. I'm hoping for 260WHP/330 TQ. It's a factory 5 speed van too, and minty clean.

I think the next round of mods will be a modified intake manifold and a 3" swingvalve. And a clutch, lol. After that maybe spray it and outrun Simon's mega-fancy race van, haha!

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 8valves View Post
    Yup, pretty mild combo to just be fun and useable. It has the header and turbo (Mopar + unit) from the Daytona.

It was on a Mitsu and +40's with a RRR and AFPR, and a G valve boost control, and a cut out raiser bleeder. I got rid of all that and did a 3bar calibration and boost control, the header/turbo, the IC, and a downpipe without a section of 2 1/4" in it like the old one had. And a fuel pump/filter, etc.

It made 176whp/261 WTQ at 18 psi when it came in. Dyno to follow on how the changes helped out. I'm hoping for 260WHP/330 TQ. It's a factory 5 speed van too, and minty clean.

I think the next round of mods will be a modified intake manifold and a 3" swingvalve. And a clutch, lol. After that maybe spray it and outrun Simon's mega-fancy race van, haha!
    Very cool, does the A/C work? I liked where you put the IC, barring of course the A/C is still functional,

Why does everyone pick on my van,

I wouldn't call it a mega-fancy race van but a mega-heavy daily driver, kid/dog/wife/crap hauler and sometimes race van,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Compared to this thing your cammed, GT35R, built auto, built motor, custom intake, Lotus headed van is indeed mega fancy compared to this thing, haha!

And yes, the AC is fully functional, hence the purpose of this particular IC setup.

Quote Originally Posted by 8valves View Post
    Compared to this thing your cammed, GT35R, built auto, built motor, custom intake, Lotus headed van is indeed mega fancy compared to this thing, haha!

And yes, the AC is fully functional, hence the purpose of this particular IC setup.
    Not cammed anymore,

Cool, literally. Wasn't sure it was still functional, everyone removes it. Got a pic of the A/C side?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

boostaholic

Great post, how long have you been welding? the welds look amazing.

Invisible Turbo Mopar Contributor mcsvt's Avatar

Looks great Aaron, that would be really nice to have in my van. Maybe when I get the motor refreshed after winter I can figure out a similar setup.
    -Gary Mazzone-
    1986 GLHS #168

Thanks, about 4 years or so daily, with a year of learning/basics prior to that.

Van is done and ready to dyno, but the tuned ECU has a bad internal voltage regulator so it will have to wait a bit. I will put up the finished pictures after i shower and theyve uploaded.

I think it turned out very nicely. It appears small through the grill, but should support more power than it will ever need to.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Thanks for the update Aaron. I appreciate your responses on here. It's a real learning experience.

And here are some other SS welding pieces ive fabbed and done recently that tend to be a little more complex.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

I would so paint that intercooler black
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

It was on a Mitsu and +40's with a RRR and AFPR, and a G valve boost control, and a cut out raiser bleeder.
    It made 176whp/261 WTQ at 18 psi when it came in
    Wow. Having you lend some guidance and mechanical skill to that van build is probably the best thing that could have happened!

Im interested to see what it does on the dyno. I think you'll be pretty close considering this is overall a better setup (sounds like) than the daytona and that thing was pretty much there, aside from the 2.2/2.5 torque difference. Although, did your daytona have a stock 1pc? If not i could see that having some effect.

I agree.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Mad skillz Aaron, wish I could weld like that.

Looks really good, Pretty funny, mine looks the same thru the grill but mines on the other side,

Quote Originally Posted by Force Fed Mopar View Post
    I would so not, lol.

turbo addict

F you on that twins setup Aaron, that just looks like too much fun. Is it running yet?
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Quote Originally Posted by Force Fed Mopar View Post
    The customer requested that it stay visible.

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    Wow. Having you lend some guidance and mechanical skill to that van build is probably the best thing that could have happened!

Im interested to see what it does on the dyno. I think you'll be pretty close considering this is overall a better setup (sounds like) than the daytona and that thing was pretty much there, aside from the 2.2/2.5 torque difference. Although, did your daytona have a stock 1pc? If not i could see that having some effect.

I agree.
    That's actually the intake off of the daytona, and yes it is stock. I couldn't do all of this work and put the nasty dirty silver one piece back on.

Quote Originally Posted by Ondonti View Post
    F you on that twins setup Aaron, that just looks like too much fun. Is it running yet?
    Sure is. Wait, the van or that system i put a pic of up? Either way yes, they both are running, haha. That system was a bit stressful actually. Got a little over zealous with the visual idea that ended up being very difficult to execute, but in the end it was a challenging experience... Which i guess ultimately makes it fun AFTER it's done.

turbo addict

What are those mini cylinders after the turbine outlet?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast