Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to build an intercooler

How to build an intercooler

ALL PICTURES HAVE BEEN MOVED TO LAST PAGE

I built a nicely packaged air to air intercooler to keep AC and all accessories on a customers Turbo Van. I took some quick pics through the process for those that haven't see it before.

Enjoy!

Garrett GT core, 10x12x4.5

End tank designed and cut out from a paper template on 5000 series .125" Aluminum. This IC will utilize mirrored end tanks, so that makes it easier and nice appearing.

Tacked end tanks for final fitment check before dissasembling and welding the inside of the seams first, then the outside when it's finish welded.

Then finish welded with machined 2.5" in/out connections from extruded AL tube, with a lathed lip on them.

Enjoy and go build something now!
    Last edited by 8valves; 12-22-2011 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Picture Links

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Re: How to build an intercooler

Nice work as always Aaron Got pics of the install?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Looks great!
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

turbo addict

I was expecting to see this when I saw the title. Very nice job on yours.

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showpo...4&postcount=76

Oh Lord... that's... interesting?

JT- It's not on yet. I left thursday afternoon for Brazil to tune a car down here and had just gotten it to that point. By tomorrow evening I'll be back and it should be installed by then, so I will make some updates. As well as the charge pipes and intake plumbing, etc. It should be a fun ride when it's all done![COLOR="Silver"]
    Last edited by 8valves; 11-20-2011 at 02:48 PM.

turbo addict

can't wait to see the install process pics

turbo addict

"Going to brazil to tune a car.....HAVE YOU HEARD ABOUT THE INTERCOOLER I AM BUILDING FOR A SOCCER VAN?!!!?!?!!!"

Priorities...

That is a lot of flowpath for the average turbo van...What brand of core do you use on the baller cars? I was tempted to make something with a Treadstone core but it ain't no Garrett. Garrett does seem hard to source big cores for an enthusiest, plus they are $$$
    Was tempted to build a 4.5" thick by 24" vertical cooler but it seems like I would create too much flowpath and maybe wish I had a little longer core since the flowpath might end up being excessive for a 67mm. I just know I have seen my friend find huge bottlenecks on his flowbench with those 3" mishumoto type intercoolers even though they have very few internal fins.
    I do know that with a tight finned core you need more flowpath. Seen guys running those huge 6" thick ETS intercoolers but those still don't have much more flowpath then this little intercooler you just built.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

turbo addict

Awsome work. Im thinking about building my own inter-cooler. I have the ability to draw end tanks in solid edge and convert it to a sheet metal layout. That makes the layout very easy without having making templates.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 8valves View Post

JT- It's not on yet. I left thursday afternoon for Brazil to tune a car down here [COLOR="Silver"]
    Aaron - can you tune Electromotive? If so how bout I fly you up here for a day of tuning with Brian and myself. You;ll get to see your block in action.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

Slick.
    You should sell those.

turbo addict

OH no if Simon see this he will have cubby and he will be trying to dry hump everyone dam you Aaron. LOL

Nice work thanks for sharing..

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Awesome work! Looking forward to install pics

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Why do you make it look so easy,

Nice work, I should get my triple core stocker made one day, ack.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

I'm impressed. Just gorgeous.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    I was expecting to see this when I saw the title. Very nice job on yours.

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showpo...4&postcount=76

Damn, I call BS that he actually ran it, he never did post up pics of it installed.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 168glhs1986 View Post
    Aaron - can you tune Electromotive? If so how bout I fly you up here for a day of tuning with Brian and myself. You;ll get to see your block in action.
    Someone else runs electromotive... was it Warren Stramer?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Thanks for the compliments guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Ondonti View Post
    "Going to brazil to tune a car.....HAVE YOU HEARD ABOUT THE INTERCOOLER I AM BUILDING FOR A SOCCER VAN?!!!?!?!!!"

Priorities...

That is a lot of flowpath for the average turbo van...What brand of core do you use on the baller cars? I was tempted to make something with a Treadstone core but it ain't no Garrett. Garrett does seem hard to source big cores for an enthusiest, plus they are $$$
    Was tempted to build a 4.5" thick by 24" vertical cooler but it seems like I would create too much flowpath and maybe wish I had a little longer core since the flowpath might end up being excessive for a 67mm. I just know I have seen my friend find huge bottlenecks on his flowbench with those 3" mishumoto type intercoolers even though they have very few internal fins.
    I do know that with a tight finned core you need more flowpath. Seen guys running those huge 6" thick ETS intercoolers but those still don't have much more flowpath then this little intercooler you just built.
    I don't do any intercoolers with anything other than Garrett cores, save for a select few, albeit rare, made with some older spearco a-w cores.

Most people dont pay attention to the amount of time the air spends in the core. If you make an intercooler that has "3000hp capabilities" sure it may flow well AND cool well... Until its on a 3000 hp car and it may not choke it, but the air may be passing through the core so fast at high rpm that it doesnt really get cooled off.

Quote Originally Posted by Mopar318 View Post
    Awsome work. Im thinking about building my own inter-cooler. I have the ability to draw end tanks in solid edge and convert it to a sheet metal layout. That makes the layout very easy without having making templates.
    That's some badass fancy stuff there! I just do the old paper templates. Works well enough, but it sure would be nice to have access to that kind of capabiltiy.

Quote Originally Posted by 168glhs1986 View Post
    That sounds like an enjoyable time, but I've never touched one of those units. I primarily stick to AEM or Motec units.

Quote Originally Posted by ajakeski View Post
    Slick.
    You should sell those.
    I don't think anyone will buy one when there are "bigger units on ebay for cheaper!" Maybe people have learned though.

Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

Aaron, when you tig (or is it properly called Heli-Arc?) aluminum such as this intercooler, do you back purge as you call it? I ask, because I found an aluminum radiator for my car, but I will have to shorten the filler tube/rad cap 1/2" I don't want nasties inside coming free over time... (I wouldn't be welding it... a former co-worker would)
    Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar
    have a look at my feedback on the forum. all positive.

Steve

'90 VNT competition package Shadow - T-III SC6262 conversion/restoration
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red
    '67 Barracuda 273 now, 440/727 awaits....

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Thanks for sharing Aaron.

Do you ever utilize baffles in the cores to direct the air flow to the later parts of the core? Was that one constructed with the in/out at about the same spot for packaging reasons, or have you not seen a difference in placing them at opposite ends of the cooler?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 8valves View Post
    Most people dont pay attention to the amount of time the air spends in the core. If you make an intercooler that has "3000hp capabilities" sure it may flow well AND cool well... Until its on a 3000 hp car and it may not choke it, but the air may be passing through the core so fast at high rpm that it doesnt really get cooled off.
    I'm trying to get my head around what you're saying here: Are you saying that a bigger core is the better to allow the air to slow down and cool off but still flow well enough to support your goals?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast