Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 1987 Charger GLHS #151, "Sunshine"

Re: 1987 Charger GLHS #151, "Sunshine"

Thanks, I will definitely be going over the harness very thoroughly and continuity testing each wire.

If you need wire, this guy has lengths, colors and gauges to suit whatever you need.

http://eagleday.stores.yahoo.net/neauwi.html

I've gotten some of the wire and it's automotive grade, from what i can tell. The sheath is much better than what you can get in bulk single colors, that's for sure.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Great, thanks again! I have a lot of wiring supplies at home, including wire, but I will definitely look into that seller if I find I need some.

Garrett booster

Good to see another rare Turbo Dodge in New England getting fixed up!!!

I've always liked those Shelby Chargers and '87 GLHS's, yours is a nice example.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFleet View Post
    Good to see another rare Turbo Dodge in New England getting fixed up!!!

I've always liked those Shelby Chargers and '87 GLHS's, yours is a nice example.
    Thank you! =)
    As much as I complain about the car, it really is in pretty good shape. I just wasn't expecting to do as much to it as I am...I'm sure you all know how that goes. And honestly, I'd rather have to do a bunch of mechanical work to it than a bunch of bodywork, especially structural bodywork. And with the new motor, it will practically be a new 25 year-old car when I'm done.

Unfortunately, there won't be any progress on the car this week as I've come down with something nasty and have had to stay home from my job for most of this week. =(

Sorry guys, I haven't actually done anything new on the car last week or this week since I've been too busy with other things, and last week I was still recovering from the flu. However, I did discover a new piece of the puzzle when I went to register the car on teamshelby.com:

It obviously doesn't have the Lancer wheels on it now (I wish it did). It also doesn't have an A568 transmission; it has an A555. Also, there is no cold air intake. I know the motor isn't the original motor, but I have no idea if it's a Turbo II or not. Anyway, it's a moot point since I'm basically starting over from scratch, but interesting nonetheless.

I think you mean it's a moo point...it doesn't matter...like a cow's opinion.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

I'm back on the horse again. I believe I'm all set with the prep for pulling the motor out now. I just yanked the starter and drained the oil today, so all that's left is to unbolt it and pull. My dad is visiting this week, so he's going to help me pull it. Since that's all set, I decided to continue working on getting the harness out of the car. Well, it's turning into a bigger ordeal than I anticipated. Since the remnants of the AC system are still under the dash, I can't get the wiring harness out of the car without removing all of that. So, right now most of the HVAC system is out. While doing this, I discovered a couple more hacks on the car: the stereo was just plopped in the dash and the wires are cut. It's annoying, but I can fix it. And yes, it's a stock radio. I'm guessing an aftermarket radio was in there at one time and one of the POs decided to bring it back to stock...sort of. Also, on the driver's seat the left front bolt isn't bolted to anything, and that part of the seat bracket is held in with a sheet metal screw (!). Obviously, I will have to fix that as well. Also, the shifter is...um...interesting. I'll show you guys that later. Oh, the LM is out too. The blue connector has a lot of oxidation, but I opened up the box and the circuits and components all look clean and dry, so it should be fine with a cleanup of the connectors. But, I'm not sure it's a GLHS Stage II module or not. The label is worn off. If anyone knows how else I can ID it, I'm all ears. That's about it for the moment.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phoebegoesvroom View Post
    I'm back on the horse again. I believe I'm all set with the prep for pulling the motor out now. I just yanked the starter and drained the oil today, so all that's left is to unbolt it and pull. My dad is visiting this week, so he's going to help me pull it. Since that's all set, I decided to continue working on getting the harness out of the car. Well, it's turning into a bigger ordeal than I anticipated. Since the remnants of the AC system are still under the dash, I can't get the wiring harness out of the car without removing all of that. So, right now most of the HVAC system is out. While doing this, I discovered a couple more hacks on the car: the stereo was just plopped in the dash and the wires are cut. It's annoying, but I can fix it. And yes, it's a stock radio. I'm guessing an aftermarket radio was in there at one time and one of the POs decided to bring it back to stock...sort of. Also, on the driver's seat the left front bolt isn't bolted to anything, and that part of the seat bracket is held in with a sheet metal screw (!). Obviously, I will have to fix that as well. Also, the shifter is...um...interesting. I'll show you guys that later. Oh, the LM is out too. The blue connector has a lot of oxidation, but I opened up the box and the circuits and components all look clean and dry, so it should be fine with a cleanup of the connectors. But, I'm not sure it's a GLHS Stage II module or not. The label is worn off. If anyone knows how else I can ID it, I'm all ears. That's about it for the moment.
    What's the number on the piece of paper on the second chip up from the bottom on the left when holding the board so the red and blue connectors are at the top and the chips are facing you?

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    What's the number on the piece of paper on the second chip up from the bottom on the left when holding the board so the red and blue connectors are at the top and the chips are facing you?
    I knew I should have taken a picture of it. I'll pop it open again when I get home from work and let you know.

Well, I keep forgetting about the LM. I swear I will get to that soon.

Anyway, with the help of my dad, last night we got the motor out. It was a little tricky because I kept the water pump and the crank pulley on, but we managed. My dad has pulled a bunch of motors in his time, this is my...3rd, I think? First time pulling a motor from a fwd car too. We were able to get the motor out from the top, and I didn't even have to lower the car from its stands. The motor is just on a moving dolly for now:

Current priorities are: get the harness out, repair it, clean, repair and paint the engine compartment, reinstall the harness, get the new motor and the engine compartment ready for the install. I'll also send out the turbo for rebuilding and start acquiring parts during this time, since I haven't done that yet.

Gratuitous picture of yourself in an engine compartment. It's me, the woman behind the posts

Glad to see that you are making forward progress.

Thanks! Slowly...as usual. Unfortunately I won't be able to work on it this week either because I will be away =(

So what is going on with this? Taking a break? You coming to SDAC?

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    You coming to SDAC?
    +1, we need as many 87's as we can get for the 25th anniversary

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Jeez, no pressure or anything, right?

Well, the project is not on hold, even though it probably seems that way to you guys. I've just been busy lately. But, I did finally get the wiring harness out of the car last week...along with the entire heating system.

I know, I really need to knuckle down if I want this car on the road sometime this summer. So this is the focus right now: clean, repair and recover the harness; clean, make repairs and paint the engine compartment. In the meantime I should also send out the turbo for rebuilding since I haven't done that yet, and get the new motor and parts.

What's all that yellow stuff on the harness?

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    What's all that yellow stuff on the harness?
    It's just yellow electrical tape. I write on it with a marker to label connectors and stuff. Sometimes I use bread bag tags too, but those don't always stay on. They're best as a temporary labeling solution. Good for small hoses, too.

How are you going to find all of the left over wires you don't need if you label them all?

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast