Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best ATF+4, Least expensive ATF+4, "Import Fluid" = ATF +3, etc...

Hybrid booster

Best ATF+4, Least expensive ATF+4, "Import Fluid" = ATF +3, etc...

Did a search on "trans fluid" didn't see this specifically...

Has anybody used "Wallyworld" ATF+4? Would you use it in your car?

What kind of +4 do you use? Why?

Anybody have a source for +4 at a good price? I have several vehicles that are due for a change.

Since I've read that "Import fluid" is ATF+3 compatible (on the web and on the bottle), and the vehicles I'm about to service are older and originally called for +3, should I just use "Import fluid"?

Thanks in advance,

CG

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Re: Best ATF+4, Least expensive ATF+4, "Import Fluid" = ATF +3, etc...

Not sure how to confirm if "import fluid" is ATF+3... I did rememebr hearing (think it was Keith) say that the ATF+3 shifted firmer than the +4

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor j4278h's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chryguy View Post
    Did a search on "trans fluid" didn't see this specifically...

Since I've read that "Import fluid" is ATF+3 compatible (on the web and on the bottle), and the vehicles I'm about to service are older and originally called for +3, should I just use "Import fluid"?

Thanks in advance,

CG
    MItsucrappy ATF is just Chrysler ATF with a different label.

If all you need is ATF +3. I have tons of Amalie ATF +3 chrysler. $20 for a case of 12

Hybrid booster

If you look at the back label on the Import fluid, it says it is +3 compatible.

Also when I was doing research for +3/+4 compatibility after they stopped making +3, I found that Import fluid/+3 info in several places.

$20 bucks a case?

I'm SO down for some of that. If you seriously have "tons" of it, I'd grab at least a couple cases...maybe more. Do you ever come Chi-town direction? Any idea what shipping would be to Joliet?

CG

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Honestly, ATF is ATF, I don't go by brands names, you just simply pay more for a brand name.

We use Dexron and add a bottle of modifier, works awesome, got that tip from a tranny shop and they know as they have to warranty this stuff. I'll get the info if you want it?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor j4278h's Avatar

[QUOTE=chryguy;867882

I'm SO down for some of that. If you seriously have "tons" of it, I'd grab at least a couple cases...maybe more. Do you ever come Chi-town direction? Any idea what shipping would be to Joliet?

CG[/QUOTE]

Maybe not tons but at least one ton worth. 65-70 cases left. Yes I do make very frequent trips to chicago area. Shoot me a pm and next time I'm down there will bring some with me.

Hybrid booster

Hey Jason,

Sent you a PM. BTW, this Saturday is the SDAC Chicagoland meeting.

Thanks,
    CG

---------- Post added at 05:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:47 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Honestly, ATF is ATF, I don't go by brands names, you just simply pay more for a brand name.

We use Dexron and add a bottle of modifier, works awesome, got that tip from a tranny shop and they know as they have to warranty this stuff. I'll get the info if you want it?
    Hi Simon,

Yes I do thanks. Sounds interesting.

I'd guess that, like you say, it's just an additive package they use to make it +4. Probably friction modifiers and such...

Wonder if you can get it here in "the land down-under"?

CG

Authorized Vendor Turbo Mopar Vendor

Chrysler has licensed of 22 brands to use the ATF+4 name by insuring they meet the quality by testing them. I think even the Advance Auto which was cheap is around 6 bucks now.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Autozone has castrol branded +4 for around $4.50/quart last time I got a case.

And no its not Dexy + modifier... Dump that garbage in your 4/5 speed chrysler electronic transmission and see what happens...
    1994 Shadow Sedan. 2.2 N/A, A568 400,000 miles. "the science experiment"
    1987 Shelby CSX #418. Long term rebuild and restore ?

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor DOHCRT's Avatar

The newer you get the more important the fluid spec. For the older stuff, I currently run Dextron III without any kind of modifier in my 97 Diesel Ram (50k + miles) and in my old 92 V-8 Dakota 100K+. Change it regularly and ensure it stays cool and you shouldn't have any problems.

Vic in Phoenix
    dohcrt@cox.net

91 Spirit R/T x4
    92 Spirit R/T x2
    89 CSX
    88 CSX-TIII
    84 Rampage TII
    97 Ram (Buzzin Half Dozen)
    69 Dart GT 'Vert

Quote Originally Posted by chryguy View Post

Hi Simon,

Yes I do thanks. Sounds interesting.

I'd guess that, like you say, it's just an additive package they use to make it +4. Probably friction modifiers and such...

Wonder if you can get it here in "the land down-under"?

CG
    Yep, probably order it online, here's the product and info-

http://www.lubegard.com/~/C-113/LUBE...ATF+Protectant

Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post

And no its not Dexy + modifier... Dump that garbage in your 4/5 speed chrysler electronic transmission and see what happens...
    Your falling into the hype, don't always believe what the man tells you, OE's and oil manufacterers love making up ways for you to spend more money.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Simon go dump some dexron into a chrysler ultradrive or RFE series transmission and see what happens. Are you going to cover it

modifer this, magic bottle that the sh!t is NOT the same. People ALOT higher up than you and me who designed these units and have commented very specifically on the fluid properties of each and every single time... Dexron is not the same thing. These are the engineers, everyday people like you and me not the big evil corporate bean counters who keep preaching this.

Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post
    Simon go dump some dexron into a chrysler ultradrive or RFE series transmission and see what happens. Are you going to cover it

modifer this, magic bottle that the sh!t is NOT the same. People ALOT higher up than you and me who designed these units and have commented very specifically on the fluid properties of each and every single time... Dexron is not the same thing. These are the engineers, everyday people like you and me not the big evil corporate bean counters who keep preaching this.
    Blah blah blah, I guess the same engineers that put Dexron in manual tranny's right? and countless other boneheaded things they do. You use mega expensive ATF+4 and I'll use that stuff. I've NEVER had an issue and I guess the tranny shops must be stupid doing that in their $5000 tranny rebuilds and giving 5 year warranty's. Hmmmmmm, silly me,

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

I'm really curious to know what the various viscosities of the various AFT fluids are... If they are the same, I'd say it comes down to the additive package, maybe the base oil (synthetic vs dyno), BUT if the viscosities are different I'd say that's a deal breaker, especially on newer transmissions that calculate "fill times" and such to adapt; change the viscosity on them and all their calculations go out the window! Which is probably why so many people seem to have issues with the 4-speeds filled with non-spec fluids...

In the end, it really just hydraulic fluid with color and some additives!

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Also, lube shops use this too, they don't like to stock 500 different types of tranny oils,

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Also, lube shops use this too, they don't like to stock 500 different types of tranny oils,
    I can certainly understand not wanting to stock what would essentially be duplicate inventory... But, I have some reservations that an additive can be all things to all people, you know the old adage: "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is!".

Might work if the viscosity is proper, kind of like adding the friction modifier to gear lube, but until I know that the viscosity is the same, I wouldn't take the chance... Not that it can't work... I guess that's going to be the trick for the manufacture, so much snake oil has been sold to us that, even if it really is what it claims to be, it will take quite a bit of convincing to validate the "mechanic in a can"...

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Hybrid booster

Anybody remember what year Chrysler switched from +3 to +4?

CG

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

Maybe it can work with ATF+4, but I know Simon's example did not work in Mercon 5 spec trans. Our manager got the bright idea to go with this. After 5 4R70W rebuilds came in burnt up, we switched back to Mercon 5 and had no issues.
    Now that we are 8-9 yrs later, maybe they got it right.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

turbo addict

Biglots have Peak ATF Dexon III for $3 a qt. Best price in down.

Mitsu booster
    FWIW, when it was time for a fluid change in the 89 Dakota i had i used Dextron III.

One ride around the block and i was back draining that stuff out and putting in ATF +III.

The shuddering from the lock-up in the torque converter was enough to rattle my eye balls out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast