Thread: If you have a 95 -97 Jeep GC pay attention.

Hybrid booster

Lightbulb If you have a 95 -97 Jeep GC pay attention.

Complaint: Engine quits while driving/idling regardless of temperature and/or miles driven.

After the customer replaced the fuel pump, coil, dist cap and rotor and crank sensor the vehicle was brought to my shop. I duplicated the problem by wiggling the PCM connectors, it had injection pulse but no spark.
    Chrysler had a kit to replace the PCM connector but now they are discontinued.

After checking all the wires and they checked OK the PCM was the only part left. Took the cover off and the it wouldn't cut off even when I wiggle the connectors. Installed the torx screws back and it shut off, removed them again and it fired back up with no issues.
    Left the screws out and it runs very good! The torx somehow are too long and grounds a circuit on the board cousing it to shut off.

Rei Moloon

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Re: If you have a 95 -97 Jeep GC pay attention.

Hah, cool find!

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rattlesnake View Post
    Complaint: Engine quits while driving/idling regardless of temperature and/or miles driven.

After the customer replaced the fuel pump, coil, dist cap and rotor and crank sensor the vehicle was brought to my shop. I duplicated the problem by wiggling the PCM connectors, it had injection pulse but no spark.
    Chrysler had a kit to replace the PCM connector but now they are discontinued.

After checking all the wires and they checked OK the PCM was the only part left. Took the cover off and the it wouldn't cut off even when I wiggle the connectors. Installed the torx screws back and it shut off, removed them again and it fired back up with no issues.
    Left the screws out and it runs very good! The torx somehow are too long and grounds a circuit on the board cousing it to shut off.

Rei Moloon
    This issue is out there, but not so well known. It's not on the '95's. Only on the '96-98 (OBDII). It was the first year of the JTEC. '95 has the SBECII - there are no screws. If you look, there's a guy on eBay that will 'fix' your '96-98 PCM for like $100. All he does is put shorter screws in or something like that.
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Haha. Interesting. Thought I had something to look forward to, but looks like my '95 was spared this little gift from the engineers!
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Awesome, I am having issues with a customers 97 Jeep, all kinds of weird things, woot,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

I was not aware that this was a common problem, But the customer was happy that I only charged him $70 for the diag and found the problem without throwing parts like the previous 3 shops (one of them a local dealer Dodge dealer)

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rattlesnake View Post
    I was not aware that this was a common problem, But the customer was happy that I only charged him $70 for the diag and found the problem without throwing parts like the previous 3 shops (one of them a local dealer Dodge dealer)
    I put a couple parts on for testing as I have spares but now I can get her back and fix it. Thanks for posting up, I too was unaware of this.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

I found it scouring the Jeep forums when I had a similar problem. Mine turned out to be the crank position sensor, though. There was actually a pic of the computer and screw at fault in one of the threads. That how I realized it was a JTEC problem and not SBECII. I had even been looking for a spare computer when I first read about it. Like I said, it wasn't a commonly known issue, but it was known.
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Garrett booster

As long as were on the GC thing, my display in the center stack commonly loses the time, it keeps the mileage till next oil change though. I can reset time and it will keep it for a week or two tops till the same thing. What controls that display? Is this a common problem and if so is it a cheap fix? Thanks, Jon.