Thread: Remanned rack is Leaking at power-steering pressure-line to rack fitting

Question Remanned rack is Leaking at power-steering pressure-line to rack fitting

Hey everyone,

I purchased a re-manufactured Power steering rack from Rock Auto and dropped it into my Le Baron (the old power steering rack was leaking out at the tie rod seals).

However, the pressure-line fitting coming from the pump does not go in all the way into the fitting on the new rack.
    I don't want to over-tighten it, and it doesn't want to sit as flush against the fitting on the rack as the old one did.

Long story short, the new rack is leaking at the fitting. Has anyone had this same experience before? Is it possible they didn't tap the threads on the rack-side fitting as deep as they should have?

Other than dropping the cross-member and swapping the rack out for a 3rd one, is there any other fix or troubleshooting that can be done?

Thanks!

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: Remanned rack is Leaking at power-steering pressure-line to rack fitting

Did you put a new seal on the hose? Maybe the rack has a seal stuck inside it. Are you sure its not cross threaded?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Yes, I put a new green-colored o-ring on the pressure-line fitting.

I removed the old o-ring (it was a black-colored one) but it's possible that an o-ring was stuck inside the fitting on the new rack.

I started the threading by hand, so it shouldn't be cross threaded, but I'll double-check.

boostaholic

Check to see if you can move the line (not fitting) with your hand, wiggling it back and forth. If you can, the nut simply isn't tight enough.
    Pete Faggella 03 PT Cruiser, 2.4L N/A 5 speed. Daily driver. All stock with baby moon wheels. 85 LeBaron 2.2TBI auto. Hoped I'd see a difference with bumped compression, but I didn't. Still slow. "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!'"

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Those thing are real easy to cross-thread if you aren't careful.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Big_P View Post
    Check to see if you can move the line (not fitting) with your hand, wiggling it back and forth. If you can, the nut simply isn't tight enough.
    +2....
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

With the original connection often rusty on the threads you dont realise just how tightly its threaded in there when you used a wrench and cheater pipe to break it loose for the first time in 20+ years. I kept tightening mine in small increments until it stopped leaking. Can be a bit unnerving cranking down on that nut as it is going into aluminum.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post
    tightening mine in small increments until it stopped leaking. Can be a bit unnerving cranking down on that nut as it is going into aluminum.
    Same here. I've developed the not-so-good habit of under-torqueing over the years. Gun shy from stripped and broken fasteners.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][FONT=Comic Sans MS]'91 Shadow convertible 2.5 auto, three core RP IC, S60/.48 stg 1, ported two-piece intake/52mm TB, Menegon +1 swirl, 88 turbo cam, Venolias, Crower rods, TU deep sump pan, ported exhaust, 3" from SV to TP, Hughes TC, Peloquin diff, DSS L5 driveshafts, Shelgame cal, Koni struts/shocks. [/FONT]