Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: alternative spark plugs

turbo addict

alternative spark plugs

anyone besides Ed trying out different spark plugs? Cant remember what plugs ed is using exactly, but i know he is/was using some that sat further in the combustion chamber.

anyone have any thoughts on this?

Re: alternative spark plugs

The plug was from a '02 Intrepid with a 3.5L. Extended nose and gapped to 0.050". I do not yet have any dyno numbers for them.

Ed Kelly - www.kmperformance.com

turbo addict

but they "seemed" to work, correct? Iirc, when we stiched back to normal plugs, the car ran the same and no issues went away... making it seem that the plugs in the end had nothing to do with it.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Mpgmike is adamant that Pulstar plugs make a big difference. I haven't tried a set yet.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Quote Originally Posted by Sundance 6g72 View Post
    but they "seemed" to work, correct? Iirc, when we stiched back to normal plugs, the car ran the same and no issues went away... making it seem that the plugs in the end had nothing to do with it.
    I don't think the plugs caused any problems. It was just one of those diagnostic steps we never undid...

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Why run extended nose plugs? They are more prone to detonation.

You could probably get away with a BR9ES or the IX version, like we do.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

How would they be more prone

How would they be more prone
    The more the plug sticks into the fire/chamber, the hotter they run, the more chance you have of detonation or the plug becoming a glow stick.

I added a bit more info in my previous post but some of us run recessed tip plugs ala the BR9ES and it really helps keep detonation at bay.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

So far the 3L does not seem to be prone to detonation... Moving the spark gap closer to the center of the chamber should reduce the engines need for spark advance.

Quote Originally Posted by c2xejk View Post
    So far the 3L does not seem to be prone to detonation... Moving the spark gap closer to the center of the chamber should reduce the engines need for spark advance.
    That is true, so if your not having detonation issues then leave well enough alonge,

turbo addict

Im curious about a boosted motor. What gap should be used?

Im curious about a boosted motor. What gap should be used?
    Large as possible without misfiring, start off at stock and gap down if needed.

turbo addict

I think what Ed is getting at is that even with cheap fuel, you can add timing until power stops gaining and it still doesn't knock. So you could therefore do mods that make the motor more prone to knock but still be able to run all the advance you need to max out power.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    That is true, so if your not having detonation issues then leave well enough alonge,
    Like many of the people this list, I have the wild idea of trying to get more hp out of my engine.

turbo addict

Simon, set your cams where they should be and leave well enough alone
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Quote Originally Posted by c2xejk View Post
    Like many of the people this list, I have the wild idea of trying to get more hp out of my engine.
    Hp, pftttttt, who needs it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ondonti View Post
    Simon, set your cams where they should be and leave well enough alone
    Never,

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Projected nose just gets the spark closer to the center of the chamber, slightly advances the timing because of that. Nothing about it inherently tends to detonation, if it does, just go to a cooler plug. I prefer them but for no good scientific reason, just the idea that a spark kernel out in the breeze lights it off a bit better.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Quote Originally Posted by johnl View Post
    Nothing about it inherently tends to detonation, if it does, just go to a cooler plug. I prefer them but for no good scientific reason, just the idea that a spark kernel out in the breeze lights it off a bit better.
    It can, I've done some reading, insert joke here, and I guess it shouldn't be a blanket statement. Quite a few tuners seem to agree that run a recessed tip plug for a safety factor as they are known to light up in long WOT runs or boosted and especially applications, chamber design plays a role too. If I run a regular stock plug but colder, it detonates more easily than if i run a cold recessed tip plug. I run a recessed in the summer, regular in the winter, but that's my observation, your results may vary,

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Simon, yeah, that sounds right, long WOT, nitrous, extremes.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

turbo addict

just to note.. ed and I did 75000rpm pulls over and over with way to much timing and it didnt show any signs of detonation.
    this was NA obviously

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast