Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: First TD to leave me Stranded!

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor Lee'sdaytona's Avatar

Re: First TD to leave me Stranded!

Ok, good tip. I do have a replacement line. Don't know if its the high pressure one or not, but my plan was to swap the line during the trans swap, as it is very difficult/impossible to unhook the line from the steering rack with the trans in place. If I could only find the leak, I found this tape stuff that works to seal leaks and holds up to 9,000 lbs of pressure, so I'm told. A buddy fixed a PS leak this way. I will definitely replace the line ultimately.
    -Lee

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

It's actually pretty easy to get to from the top side with the air box etc. removed.

I'll have to try that angle. Thanks. I suppose the only way to see exactly where it is leaking from is to get under there while the engine is running. Could a weak coil or this new FPR cause this no power condition? I know cam timing could do this, but the car was fine before and its just sat all this time. I'll check the timing anyway next time I get to work on it.
    -Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Lee'sdaytona View Post
    I'll have to try that angle. Thanks. I suppose the only way to see exactly where it is leaking from is to get under there while the engine is running. Could a weak coil or this new FPR cause this no power condition? I know cam timing could do this, but the car was fine before and its just sat all this time. I'll check the timing anyway next time I get to work on it.
    -Lee
    I would check the FP to make sure it's correct. That will eliminate that as a possibility. The coil being weak could cause issues, but it's never number one on my list of things to check.

Ok well, since I didn't have a fuel gage handy, I swapped a used FPR I had laying around and no change. So, still could be weak fuel pump, timing off by a tooth, or weak coil. I'll check the cam timing next, and move on from there.
    Could bad gas cause this? I understand the "new" gas goes bad in less than a month and absorbs a lot of water. I did stabilize it, but who knows? This gas is at least 3 months old.
    -Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Lee'sdaytona View Post
    Ok well, since I didn't have a fuel gage handy, I swapped a used FPR I had laying around and no change. So, still could be weak fuel pump, timing off by a tooth, or weak coil. I'll check the cam timing next, and move on from there.
    Could bad gas cause this? I understand the "new" gas goes bad in less than a month and absorbs a lot of water. I did stabilize it, but who knows? This gas is at least 3 months old.
    -Lee
    I highly doubt it's the gas.

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    I highly doubt it's the gas.
    Yeah, I mean I know these engines run really well with old gas, but then again, this new ethanol treated gas I know has caused problems in general. Hopefully this weekend I'll get the chance to check cam timing, and then of course re-set ignition timing as needed.
    -Lee

UPDATE!
    I **Think** I found my problem. I checked cam timing, and while I can't be certain, I think it might have been a tooth off. But I did reset the cam timing anyway just in case. As I went to remove the distributer cap to be sure it was pointing at the 1st wire, I noticed that the cap screws did not make it through the HEP holes. That night I got stranded and tried to swap the HEP in the parking lot, I must have missed the HEP holes, and therefore, the HEP was offset in relation the the distributer cap.
    Meanwhile one of my new (since the spring) CHampion spark plugs on the #4 cyl broke the upper ceramic as I was removing it!! GRRR. So I'm gonna grab a new plug and see how it runs now (of course after resetting the ignition timing as well). Will report back....
    -Lee

turbo addict

Did you change your fuel filter very recently or is it old?
    -Nate- ''Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it.'' —Mark Twain

All fixed!! I had a lot of trouble getting the cam timing right, even though I am not new to doing this in the least bit. Anyway, got it set, and man does this thing have balls now! I've got to re-set the g-valve, because it boosted in the 10 PSI range, and I have since removed the intercooler that was on there. I am running a Mopar Performance LM, but I am not sure what boost setting it is meant for. Anway, now I can drive it to my buddy's house where a new tranny is waiting to go in that has a working 5th gear

Fuel filter was replaced a few years ago when I bought the car, but has maybe 200 miles on it.

boostaholic

good job man!!! that sense of "yeah buddy" will never go away no matter how long you deal with an issue, always a sense of accomplishment when she fires up right

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123