Thread: Which camshaft?

Hybrid booster

Which camshaft?

Our 84 Rampage awaits it's roller swap. Right now the only cam I am aware of that's decent, is the 88TBI. (have one on hand)
    Is there anything better?

Setup is stock longblock, high flow side exit exhaust, with no cat, and Weber carb.
    The Weber factory jets were very rich, until we freed-up the exhaust.
    Right now looking to use the BEST street roller cam, with the idea of room for growth down the road. (TBI exh mani, mild headwork and milling)
    I figure more lift and possibly more duration to help lean her out a tad?

Anyhow, what has worked for your carbed little Mopar?

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: Which camshaft?

You have the old performance slider cams, or an S60, lol.

Depends on what you want, lumpy or smooth idle, midrange, top end?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

Top end feels good, seems to lean it out nicely. I would say midrange is target, since neither of us drive the car at 4k+ (at least not for long, lol)

Hybrid booster

Okay so nobody has any cam exp? C'mon, someone drives a Carb'ed car..

turbo addict

What's your compression ratio?

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by john1320 View Post
    Setup is STOCK longblock, high flow side exit exhaust, with no cat, and Weber carb.
    The Weber factory jets were very rich, until we freed-up the exhaust.
    Right now looking to use the BEST street roller cam, with the idea of room for growth down the road. (TBI exh mani, mild headwork and milling)
    I figure more lift and possibly more duration to help lean her out a tad?
    ^^^^^^^^

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

I'll phone my grinder on Monday and see what he has to say.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

have you considered a slider cam?

posted these links to rampage thread, too. might as well reiterate here.

granted, by the time i had these vids, i had a bit more compression, comp says their cams actually arent designed for the compression im running. 9.0 was their target. (im closer to 12:1)

this is the 280H with 234 dur @ .050 and .460 lift all around. midrange is sweet, top end - with stock replacement weber, cam stops making power at about 6300ish. with a 38/38 itd pull to 6800 easy. was scared of old timing belt at that point.

WAYYY more aggressive than your 88tbi cam. and with fresh lifters it doesnt have a whole lot of lash clacking, either.

Ive had this car for 6 years, and have had 4 cams in it, and the comp definitely takes the cake!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXXE-qzGurQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q96UtGz2vZU

Hybrid booster

have you considered a slider cam?&nbsp;<br><br>posted these links to rampage thread, too. might as well reiterate here.<br><br>granted, by the time i had these vids, i had a bit more compression, comp says their cams actually arent designed for the compression im running. 9.0 was their target. (im closer to 12:1)<br><br>this is the 280H with 234 dur @ .050 and .460 lift all around. midrange is sweet, top end - with stock replacement weber, cam stops making power at about 6300ish. with a 38/38 itd pull to 6800 easy. was scared of old timing belt at that point.<br><br><br>WAYYY more aggressive than your 88tbi cam. and with fresh lifters it doesnt have a whole lot of lash clacking, either.&nbsp;<br><br>Ive had this car for 6 years, and have had 4 cams in it, and the comp definitely takes the cake!<br><br><br><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXXE-qzGurQ">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXXE-qzGurQ<br><br><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q96UtGz2vZU">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q96UtGz2vZU</a></a>

Hybrid booster

I'm not fully against slider, but as I posted, we're trying to get Away from that. A roller will help his overall MPG on top of possibly mild performance gains. Slider to roller friction difference at idle is what- 75%? At cruise-25%?
    Now if no roller exists that can fill the bill for light hauling/towing and a smig better MPG, I would def go for the comp slider. Great information btw! I don't get on the L-body thread much, since the rampage is not mine. I need to get on more often, but the car is not with me when I want to wrench on it and ask questions.
    I think we should have some pics for the L-body thread soon, so everyone can see the old fart.

---------- Post added at 05:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:28 PM ----------

OMG, just watched the second video- very strong exhaust pulses! High comp FTW! Stock head or worked-over? What size exhaust? We went with the reg ol' 2" for velocity/scavenging, and seems to have paid off in 30+ MPG on an auto.
    (still on the rich side, too)

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

Has anyone tried running a performance turbo roller cam in an NA application? Lots to choose from there

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Has anyone tried running a performance turbo roller cam in an NA application? Lots to choose from there
    not enough overlap for NA applications. overlap/duration makes heat which helps with timing in the NA screamers.

---------- Post added at 06:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:21 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by john1320 View Post
    I'm not fully against slider, but as I posted, we're trying to get Away from that. A roller will help his overall MPG on top of possibly mild performance gains. Slider to roller friction difference at idle is what- 75%? At cruise-25%?
    Now if no roller exists that can fill the bill for light hauling/towing and a smig better MPG, I would def go for the comp slider. Great information btw! I don't get on the L-body thread much, since the rampage is not mine. I need to get on more often, but the car is not with me when I want to wrench on it and ask questions.
    I think we should have some pics for the L-body thread soon, so everyone can see the old fart.

---------- Post added at 05:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:28 PM ----------

OMG, just watched the second video- very strong exhaust pulses! High comp FTW! Stock head or worked-over? What size exhaust? We went with the reg ol' 2" for velocity/scavenging, and seems to have paid off in 30+ MPG on an auto.
    (still on the rich side, too)

my SC was knocking back 30+ mpg with its STOCK setup in the mountains, of all places (32.3 hwy mpg), i get about 20 in town with my 280H with ported, big valve 782 @ approx 12:1 compression. besides long tube header, those vids are with a 2" pipe.

honestly, the friction coefficient appears to be minimal, as my rampage (carb shelby clone @ 9.6:1 compression) gets between 24/26mpg in town under... spirited conditions.

i just put a pipe and header on my rampage, and its 2.25" with resonator and turbo muffler. sounds pretty good, too.

rollers are ok, but if you want a quick NA, the stock roller cams/turbo rollers just dont have the duration to make them scream.
    comp is the way to go. i INTEND on buying a comp 268H, which is a little less aggressive, but mostly because i havent seen one in a car, yet. comp ALSO sells a High energy series, which are supposed to replicate stock performance, if you dont want that much thump.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by martabo View Post
    not enough overlap for NA applications. overlap/duration makes heat which helps with timing in the NA screamers.
    Interesting, I thought the 88 TBI roller and 88 Turbo roller were identicle spec, but degree'd differently? No?

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!