Thread: Pin-sized CV boot hole

Garrett booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Pin-sized CV boot hole

Hey all,

I've read through a bunch of threads on this site and others about what to do when a CV boot goes bad. I won't ask for a recap here - I'm just interested in knowing people's preferences as to either installing a new boot, or just popping in a new axle. More specifically, what is appropriate for my skill level (pretty damn low, though not clueless)?

It's for a Spirit R/T. I had some trouble getting the old struts out when installing new struts and springs, so after PB Blaster and a breaker bar failed, I broke out the blowtorch. I tried to be very careful, but melted just a bit (really, a TINY bit) of the outmost rib of the CV boot. I think that's where the leak is. The hole is not visible to the naked eye, at least not MY naked eye. But what is visible is the nice coating of grease on the inside of the wheel rim, on the ball joint, etc. My reason for mentioning this is that I think that there is little likelihood that the CV joint has gotten contaminated. There's certainly none of that death-knell ticking.

I've heard that the stock axles are pretty beefy, so I'd like to save this one if I can. However, if it's going to be a huge pain in the rear to install a new boot, maybe I'll just replace the whole axle. Does anyone have any experience with the Dorman axles mentioned in the alternate parts sticky in the TIII section?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: Pin-sized CV boot hole

I would just put a new boot on. I've also done this before, wipe the area really good, with a rag soaked with brake cleaner and let it dry, put RTV on and let it dry. I holed one of my boots and being lazy sometimes, did that, still holding, probably have 5-6 years on it.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Garrett booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    I would just put a new boot on. I've also done this before, wipe the area really good, with a rag soaked with brake cleaner and let it dry, put RTV on and let it dry. I holed one of my boots and being lazy sometimes, did that, still holding, probably have 5-6 years on it.
    I like the sound of that second option. I've also heard good things about Shoe Goo. Any concerns about the grease that's already come out? I wonder if there's a good way of injecting some into the joint...

turbo addict

Buy a autozone cv shaft. Life time warranty, even if the boot is torn.

Quote Originally Posted by BaxterStockman View Post
    I like the sound of that second option. I've also heard good things about Shoe Goo. Any concerns about the grease that's already come out? I wonder if there's a good way of injecting some into the joint...
    There is tons in there, so if a bit leaked out, no biggie. Never used Shoe Goo but that should work.

---------- Post added at 10:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:00 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    Buy a autozone cv shaft. Life time warranty, even if the boot is torn.
    Never been a fan of store rebuilt axles, more times than I can count, I've had to replace them numerous times, so a lifetime warranty means squat if your changing it every week,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor JDIZZ's Avatar

Like turbovanman, I have repaired a few boots that had a tiny hole in them. I used ultra black RTV and also used windshield urethane. Clean well with brake cleaner, let dry. I try to get a little sealer in the hole while putting a dab on the outside. Let the sealer dry well.
    Joe Dzwil
    88 Daytona
    87 SC

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Yeah silicone/rtv works good for pin holes.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Damn, I thought I was going to get slammed for doing that, lol, seems everyone does it,

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor JDIZZ's Avatar

Damn, I thought I was going to get slammed for doing that, lol, seems everyone does it,
    It was a good idea you shared, I had to give you a pat on the back. It has worked well for me also.
    Joe Dzwil
    88 Daytona
    87 SC