Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Governor info for the 3 speeds.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: Governor info for the 3 speeds.

Governor pressures seem low, 1st-15 mph-3 psi, 2nd-25 mph-14 psi, 3rd gear-30 mph-30 psi. Book says line pressure should be close to road speed.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor JDIZZ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Governor pressures seem low, 1st-15 mph-3 psi, 2nd-25 mph-14 psi, 3rd gear-30 mph-30 psi. Book says line pressure should be close to road speed.
    That's what I thought. In third gear, the pressure in PSI should be close to the MPH. 30 PSI to 30 MPH sounds right.
    Joe Dzwil
    88 Daytona
    87 SC

Line pressure is 140+ psi and I get a 60 psi rise moving the kickdown cable. So WTF is going on?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor JDIZZ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Line pressure is 140+ psi and I get a 60 psi rise moving the kickdown cable. So WTF is going on?
    Sounds like no or little governor pressure is making it to the 1-2 and 2-3 shift valve.
    Joe Dzwil
    88 Daytona
    87 SC

Quote Originally Posted by JDIZZ View Post
    Sounds like no or little governor pressure is making it to the 1-2 and 2-3 shift valve.
    Sigh, well guess I gotta pull the pan off again and see wtf is up,

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

Simon, did you do the valve body bleed mod? Your transmission sounds like it's doing what mine is doing, as soon as it shifts to second, third is right behind it. I drilled a .054" hole in my valve body. I have my line pressure adjusted as low as it can go and I think it's at 95 psi.

I just got my "miss drilled" valve body back from my welder. I'm going to try a .020" hole in my next one. Hopefully I can get to this next week.

A.J.

Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
    Simon, did you do the valve body bleed mod? Your transmission sounds like it's doing what mine is doing, as soon as it shifts to second, third is right behind it. I drilled a .054" hole in my valve body. I have my line pressure adjusted as low as it can go and I think it's at 95 psi.

I just got my "miss drilled" valve body back from my welder. I'm going to try a .020" hole in my next one. Hopefully I can get to this next week.

A.J.
    I do, but until I took the Sonnax kit out, my only issue was the crappy 2-3 shift.

Fixed!

FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not sure what fixed it but I took the seperator plate assembly off, took the plate off and it seemed like the cast piece wasn't sealing in a few spots, so dusted off a spare. Checked the valves moved freely, check. Looked at the governor mount, again, looked like the housing wasn't sealing so I changed that, put the hollow 100 oz large weight in with the Neon spring, put my custom lightened 55 oz small spring and hoped for the best, well finally, I can drive it without having to manually hold 2nd gear like I've done for 8 years, the shift timing is PERFECT. 1-2 is around 35 km/h at mild throttle and 2-3 is much later than before, I couldn't stop grinning. So to guess what fixed it, probably a bit of both housings per say.

I couldn't try WOT so I don't know what rpm it will upshift, I am hoping for 6500 rpm.

I must have done the 1/16 bleed hole mod based on my line pressure and have no complaints. I gave the stocker pressure adjuster aprox 2 turns from minimum.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

That bleed hole mod, seems like it would benefit from a changeable orifice... If it could be drilled for 1/4" x 28tpi, we could install a jet fitting from one of our fogger nozzles, then install a jet, from .014" to .125"... I'd even put a kit together for it with 4-5 different jets for about $15.00... If you think it would be worth doing...

Mike

PS I'm not really clear on what this mod is supposed to affect/improve, but is does seem to benefit from changeable orifices...
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by zin View Post
    That bleed hole mod, seems like it would benefit from a changeable orifice... If it could be drilled for 1/4" x 28tpi, we could install a jet fitting from one of our fogger nozzles, then install a jet, from .014" to .125"... I'd even put a kit together for it with 4-5 different jets for about $15.00... If you think it would be worth doing...

Mike

PS I'm not really clear on what this mod is supposed to affect/improve, but is does seem to benefit from changeable orifices...
    In laymans terms, its a bleed that that jacks up the line pressure without affecting shift timing and reverse. Its works great but if you drill the right size hole, you don't need to mess with it. I used the larger hole and it works great for me, not harsh at all,

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

really, it doesnt affect the shift points???

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post

Brian
    Ya, now I it the rev limiter with a .054" hole and 95 psi line pressure. The 1/16" hole that Simon drilled measures at .062".

A.J.

This is why I thought a kit to make the orifice changeable would be helpful. That way you can "go big", but still go back if it was too much as well as fine tune it rather than leaving it "close enough" for fear of overdoing it...

If anyone wants to do it, the parts you'd need are: 27944 (fogger jet fitting), 23750-XX (replace the xx with the orifice size you want), 27600 & 27550 (B-nut & sleeve) which retains the jet in the fitting. These parts normally sell for more than what I quoted above, so pm,email or call me in particular so I can give you the discount.

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

- Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post

Brian
    A little bit, that's why you drill and tap the case to use the factory line pressure to tailor the shift points OR do what I did, modify the governor weights to suit your engine.

This is why I thought a kit to make the orifice changeable would be helpful. That way you can "go big", but still go back if it was too much as well as fine tune it rather than leaving it "close enough" for fear of overdoing it...

If anyone wants to do it, the parts you'd need are: 27944 (fogger jet fitting), 23750-XX (replace the xx with the orifice size you want), 27600 & 27550 (B-nut & sleeve) which retains the jet in the fitting. These parts normally sell for more than what I quoted above, so pm,email or call me in particular so I can give you the discount.

Mike
    A great idea but really, if you do the above, there is no need, more line pressure equals longer life. My last trans lasted 4 years and when I took it apart to fix the blown pinion, the clutch's looked pretty good, but I did replace the 1-2 clutch pack discs as they showed some wear, which is acceptable considering how small they are and how much punishment they take.

Mike
    It would be cool if you could make it so you wouldn't have to remove the valve body to replace the orifices.

A.J.

Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
    It would be cool if you could make it so you wouldn't have to remove the valve body to replace the orifices.

A.J.
    If we could do that, that would make it worthwhile.

I'm not familiar with where the hole is normally located, but I can't see a reason why it couldn't be done... but then again, I'm the guy that just said he doesn't know where it normally goes!

If someone would post a picture of the mod, I think I could say for sure...

Mike

- Edmund Burke

I'm not familiar with where the hole is normally located, but I can't see a reason why it couldn't be done... but then again, I'm the guy that just said he doesn't know where it normally goes!

If someone would post a picture of the mod, I think I could say for sure...

Mike
    I have a slow day tomorrow so I'll take a few pictures and post them so you have a better idea of what we're talking about.

A.J.

So here's what I'm getting from this. When raising the line pressure via the drilled pressure bleed I want the heavier TBI small weight and the lighter Turbo large weight. The Large weight can be lightened additionally a few ounces or a heavier spring installed to lower WOT shifts. When I did the valve body mods on the spirit one thing I noticed was the low throttle pressure shift points were low. This makes me want to think I need to get a lighter small weight to get the shifts to happen later.

Quote Originally Posted by bfarroo View Post
    So here's what I'm getting from this. When raising the line pressure via the drilled pressure bleed I want the heavier TBI small weight and the lighter Turbo large weight. The Large weight can be lightened additionally a few ounces or a heavier spring installed to lower WOT shifts. When I did the valve body mods on the spirit one thing I noticed was the low throttle pressure shift points were low. This makes me want to think I need to get a lighter small weight to get the shifts to happen later.
    No, the smaller little weight RAISES the shift points as you lighten it, the heavier weight lowers shift points, ditto for the big valve, if your hitting the rev limiter, you need to lighten it.

This is what I did years ago with the Sonnax kit, and JDIZZ explains how it works-

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    Well, after playing with my A413 governor, here is some shift info. First time, used the TBI weights-both solid, and the blue spring with 7 turns of line pressure. Also using the Sonnax governor kit with the turbo heavier spring. It would upshift at 6200 rpm or not at all unless I floated the gas. 2-3 upshift was nice, not too early, sorry, can't remember MPH. So last night, changed the setup, I used the TBI small weight-solid, turbo large weight-hollow, orange turbo spring and the Sonnax turbo spring. Now it shifts at 5000 rpm and the 2-3 upshift is low. If I get motivation, will take it out again tonight and change some stuff, I want it to shift around 5800 rpm! Wish they were easier to remove!

Heres what I did and now shifts at 5800 rpm, woo frickin hoo. Went back in and changed the orange spring to the blue one. Changed the Sonnax spring with the lighter 4 cyl one. Now shifts at 5800 rpm at full throttle. Line pressure still at 7 turns. 2-3 is great. I made the tv cable one click higher as light throttle shifts were ugg. Now great. Hope this helps everyone and doesn't have to go what I went through.

Governor kit-Sonnax part number 32204-03K

http://www.transmissionspecialty.com...p?id=3833&pl=3

Disclaimer, may or may not work on your application. Proceed at own risk. Also trans was modified per Carls site.

Quote Originally Posted by JDIZZ
    Some more governor 101

Here is some info. so you don't wast any time on the things I have. The little valve (primary) controls the shift points, so the heavier the valve the lower the speed the shift points will happen, across the board. The big valve (secondary) controls the higher (road speed) shift points. It does this by feeding some fluid pressure to the back side of the little valve at higher road speeds that counter act the centrifugal force (hold back) on the little valve. So making the big valve lighter or the spring for it heavier, will lower the WOT shift points.

Get the shift points down, then raise the line pressure to get your shift points where you want them. Drill a hole in the case inline with the line pressure screw and tap the hole for a small pipe plug. You now can adjust the shift points from outside of the trans with the line pressure.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast