Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: 3.0 Build Project: "Green Machine"

Hybrid booster

Re: 3.0 Build Project: "Green Machine"

Damn I wish I could afford stainless! Nope its gonna be all 16ga. Mild steel. I've crunched the numbers and I'm lookin at about $400 in materials. This ---- adds up real quick. That's with me doing 99% of the work myself. Our shop has a damn nice millermatic MIG setup I'll be using. TIG is unheard of around this po'dunk little town. I considered stainless until I looked at the prices, about 3x per foot + I'd need stainless wire and different shielding gas.

Any thoughts on necking down the tailpipe at the back of the car and reusing the factory muffler? (yes I know Im cheap!) I want this to be a drivable sleeper and I think that will give it to me. V6's sound like --- most of the time anyway to me.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Sundance 6g72 View Post
    is it all stainless steel? nothing like the sexi look of tig weld on SS headers.

exactly. thats all my magnaflow is anyways and i have it sitting in place of the cat. thinking of a second one in the muffler location. hard to shell out $100 for a second straight muffler. the new dyno max ones look nice though (stay closed and then wide open when you go.. well wide open)
    I love the look of custom built headers that have been cleaned and chromed. Also - the chrome does a very good job of showing the heat dispersion very well.

As for the open/close mufflers, I think I would prefer to have a dump solenoid. Run your exhaust normally, and get one of those 3" exhaust dump valves, get an old electric door lock solenoid on, and wire a microswitch triggered at WOT off the throttlebody or an output trigger from MS. Maybe wire in a toggle switch override so you can select Forced Open / System Controlled / Forced Closed.

Hybrid booster

I like the idea of an exhaust cutout alot but this car has to be PA inspectable and they aren't allowed here . I also decided to put a cat shell in there as well. Doesn't need to function but it has to be there for visual emissions check. Im actually making my own cat shell right now.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MC#4 View Post
    I ordered almost everything I'll need for my headers and exhaust today. 1.5" primaries, Then 2 1/8" into a 3" collector and then 3" all the way back. Materials cost more than I thought but I guess I don't have much of a choice since we have no aftermarket support. Oh well at least Ill have what I want.
    Did you check out Ed for headers? He makes them but they might not be what you want or too much money.

Quote Originally Posted by MC#4 View Post
    I like the idea of an exhaust cutout alot but this car has to be PA inspectable and they aren't allowed here . I also decided to put a cat shell in there as well. Doesn't need to function but it has to be there for visual emissions check. Im actually making my own cat shell right now.
    I see no issues with a stock muffler, thinking the same thing, lol, but what about a test pipe you can take out after inspections, and the new test pipe has the cut out?

---------- Post added at 01:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:40 PM ----------

like ed said, we are talking over 300tq at less than 2000rpms.

i guess my main reason for bringing that up was to show that he only spun a bearing due to ill choices for this turbo and that the 3.0 dosnt normal spin a bearing just because its boosted.
    I don't believe it, many engines out there build stupid torque above idle with no issues, I think he had bad luck.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Did you check out Ed for headers? He makes them but they might not be what you want or too much money.

I see no issues with a stock muffler, thinking the same thing, lol, but what about a test pipe you can take out after inspections, and the new test pipe has the cut out?

---------- Post added at 01:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:40 PM ----------

I've been using ed's site as a reference. When It comes right down to it, I actually want to build these myself, I just like the sense of accomplishment sometimes.

I really like your idea about the "test pipe"! That is definately under serious consideration. Thanks.

Gotcha, sometimes you gotta make it yourself,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

turbo addict

good idea on the test pipe with the cutout

make an exuast where the cat is easily bolted on and off and swappable for a pipe with the cutout. Maybe run a 3inch downpipe to the cat and the have the test pipe made out of 3inch

only issue on the cutout is that i hear they take a few seconds to open up.. so if its wired to the throttle it might lag a little

dynomax has a new line of mufflers that are supposed to be realllllly quiete until you go wide open. they have a valve in them or something

good idea on the test pipe with the cutout

make an exuast where the cat is easily bolted on and off and swappable for a pipe with the cutout. Maybe run a 3inch downpipe to the cat and the have the test pipe made out of 3inch

only issue on the cutout is that i hear they take a few seconds to open up.. so if its wired to the throttle it might lag a little

dynomax has a new line of mufflers that are supposed to be realllllly quiete until you go wide open. they have a valve in them or something
    If your racing, then it taking a few secs doesn't matter and if your street racing, it will draw attention. I manually open and close mine, its fun, lol.

I tried their new muffler, it worked but still droned for me, so for you guys, it might be ok. Worth a try, they had a money back guarantee on it.

turbo addict

money guarantee after i weld it to my exhaust? Naw I like mine but just too loud for some people.. a second magnaflow should do it.

i love the idea of a cutout though

money guarantee after i weld it to my exhaust? Naw I like mine but just too loud for some people.. a second magnaflow should do it.

i love the idea of a cutout though
    Yep, even if you weld it. I run 2 mufflers, still drones right at 60-70 mph, sigh. I now run a Flowmaster 70 series big block and another Magnaflow, flows nicely and isn't too loud, going to put a bullet cat in and that should be enough. Now I have a cutout, I don't care about plugging up my exhaust. Still considering a stock muffler, lol.

Garrett booster

That's why I would build in an override. The WOT trigger is nice for those quick highway blasts, and light to light racing.

But honestly - if you're worried about it taking a few seconds, get a manual / cable operated cutout and rig up your own solenoid to it. The reasons I say to use an old power door lock solenoid are:
    1. They're very simple and easy to wire up.
    2. They're usually pretty weather resistant, as they're inside a door which gets wet, cold and dampness.
    3. You can find them in a million junk yards everywhere for dirty cheap.
    4. They move seriously fast in comparison to a stepper motor system which is what it seems the cutout kits use.

Hybrid booster

Got about everything I need for my exhaust today! Machine shop has a headgasket for a template and is making me up a torque plate and shel-game has my ecu and is removing my rev and speed limiters. This project is slowly coming together.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0124.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	488.1 KB 
ID:	35644  

Very cool.

turbo addict

while he has your ecu, you might consider having him fix the timing. last i checked, he said the stock ecu has a timing "dip" or something like that. if your naturally aspirated, it dosnt hurt to run 2-3 more degrees on the stock ecu. its proven to make power.

those steel pipes look nice too

turbo addict

columbia river flanges?
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Ondonti View Post
    columbia river flanges?
    Yep,everything in that pic is from columbia river. There's another company in canadia makin em for like $36pair. When I went to buy them their site was actin up + I'm sure shipping would have been pretty high. Columbia river gets $30ea. 3/8" thick.

As far as moving timing goes. I can't advance it since I'll be running about a 100hp shot of nitrous. I've always read that you should retard stock timing 2-3degrees on nos, so I figure I'll just leave it stock and let the nitrous make up the difference.

turbo addict

oo yep i remember now..

Hybrid booster

Just a quick update. I haven't done much of anything to my shadow lately. I'm too busy dumping bucket loads of money into my stealth. I'm still not sure exactly what I want to do with the shadow and now it looks like I won't be tearing it down until the new year. I just have other stuff that needs done first + I'm damn near broke .

Anyway, I did get my torque plate from the machine shop today. It looks like it will work, I just need to make up some 3/4" spacers for under all the bolts so they tighten down properly. The motor in the pic is just a mock up motor out of a 99 caravan.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	485.0 KB 
ID:	36114

turbo addict

wow, looks really nice!

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

I'm damn near broke .
    That's what TT 3si are for.