Thread: no start on my 87 daytona shelby z

Mitsu booster

Post no start on my 87 daytona shelby z

i bought the car not running because i was told how fast these cars can be but i expected this process to go faster. when i first got it i diagnosed it had no fuel and no spark.. relatively easy, i replaced the hall effect switch and power module simple enough and got me a good spark then no power at the fuel pump so i ran a hardline to it and toggle switch then i found another problem that has me stuck two injectors are not firing simple enough i thought so located the problem cyl 1 and 2 are run off the same ground so find the short and fix it. but there is only .3 resistance and when i connect a computer to it it wont read i assume because poor connection somewhere.
    dose anyone know anything that could help me out in this situation maby something that could cause the computer not to read and the asd relay for the fuel pump is in the computer on my car so my thought is the new power module might be junk. but any information will be much appreciated, thank you

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Re: no start on my 87 daytona shelby z

ASD relay is not in the power module, it is on the driver inner fender just behind it, near the shock tower. Has like 3 wires going in and one blue? wire coming out to the fuel pump. It is triggered by the LM I think? Relay could be bad, causing the pump not to run.

On the injectors, could be a bad connection in the injector harness plug. Also, make sure all the grounds are clean and hooked up. There should be one at the back of the intake, one bolted to the back of the head, (main battery ground), and a small ground wire from the battery to the frame. There are some other small ground wires on the inner fenders/frame too. The injector harness has a ground that goes to one of the injector rail hold-down bolts too, which I'm sure you already found.

Oh, and welcome to the site
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

when i connect a computer to it it wont read
    What do you mean by this? Are you trying to read the computer with a scanner?

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

I'm not following you, but the ADS relay powers the ignition coil, fuel pump, and the injectors. Is the car runing now but on 2 cylinders?

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Force Fed Mopar View Post
    ASD relay is not in the power module, it is on the driver inner fender just behind it, near the shock tower. Has like 3 wires going in and one blue? wire coming out to the fuel pump. It is triggered by the LM I think? Relay could be bad, causing the pump not to run.

On the injectors, could be a bad connection in the injector harness plug. Also, make sure all the grounds are clean and hooked up. There should be one at the back of the intake, one bolted to the back of the head, (main battery ground), and a small ground wire from the battery to the frame. There are some other small ground wires on the inner fenders/frame too. The injector harness has a ground that goes to one of the injector rail hold-down bolts too, which I'm sure you already found.

Oh, and welcome to the site
    I thought the ASD was in the PMs? Is it only in the PM of L body cars? This is a major misconception of mine otherwise.

ASD has never been in the PM of any of them. On an L-body it is on the pass side inner fender.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

I think the cars with the LM\PM combo have the ASD relay in the power module also.

Well the fuel pump relay is what is always considered the ASD relay in my experience. It is triggered by the computer, but I don't think there is an actual relay inside the PM. Could be wrong though. I may be thinking of the newer ones, which I know for sure have an external relay.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

There is a Bosch relay for the ADS circuit in the power module. I know this because when a ADS relay in the power module goes bad I would open up the power module and soldier wires to the circuit board a put a external Bosch on the outside. I've done this to a few cars back in the day.

Well I learned something new then. Thanks guys! I bet that's what was going wrong w/ my GLHS then, kept losing computer power.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

Mitsu booster

i was wondering if you had found the problem because you have the exact same problem as i am having right now.