Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A413 rebuild kit?

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: A413 rebuild kit?

Forgot about the side gears, heh, when I had an open diff, I did shim them tighter and used Dodge's diff pin ears incase the pin lets go.

I prefer to keep the shaft from spinning as I would rather replace the shaft and gears, then those and the carrier from the added wear.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor JDIZZ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Forgot about the side gears, heh, when I had an open diff, I did shim them tighter and used Dodge's diff pin ears incase the pin lets go.

I prefer to keep the shaft from spinning as I would rather replace the shaft and gears, then those and the carrier from the added wear.
    I found under heavy load (read one wheel burn outs), the ATF lubrication is inadequate. The side gears starts to gall the side gear shaft. The side gear shaft is soft and is only chrome plated. The galling causes much added friction and soon the role pin that holds the side gear shaft from spinning breaks, allowing the side gear shaft to rotate anyway. I think the differential will last longer if the side gear shaft is allowed to rotate in it's housing and is some how retained. Yes, it will eventually wear out the case/carrier. Cast iron is a good bearing material.

If the side gear shaft is held well enough, like two larger than stock solid hardened steel pins installed on each side of the side gear shaft. Under a heavy load, the hardened side gear will cut through and break the soft side gear shaft. "Dodge's diff pin ears" may not help in this case as the side gear(s) may be pushed out of the carrier through the hole(s) they were installed. I would venture to say, this scenario may also be catastrophic.

So, I let the shaft spin.
    Joe Dzwil
    88 Daytona
    87 SC

I am sure, all valid points, I personally never had big wear issues with the stock diff but everyone is different, and I did run some synthetic engine oil in my trans. Now the big thing is TDH tractor fluid, which should really help guard against metal wear,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

I am sure, all valid points, I personally never had big wear issues with the stock diff but everyone is different, and I did run some synthetic engine oil in my trans. Now the big thing is TDH tractor fluid, which should really help guard against metal wear,
    Do you run Transmission-Differential-Hydraulic Fluid in your A413?
    Joe Dzwil
    88 Daytona
    87 SC

Quote Originally Posted by JDIZZ View Post
    Do you run Transmission-Differential-Hydraulic Fluid in your A413?
    I do now, I always ran dexron with synthetic engine oil, 0w20, but after a few guys, IE Stramer posted up about it, I switched to it recently, so far, love it. Noticed it shifted better and the TC seemed to be a bit tighter. Fluid doesn't seem to get burned as fast.

I do now, I always ran dexron with synthetic engine oil, 0w20, but after a few guys, IE Stramer posted up about it, I switched to it recently, so far, love it. Noticed it shifted better and the TC seemed to be a bit tighter. Fluid doesn't seem to get burned as fast.
    If I ever get back into my TD cars, I will try it. There is a few highly stressed areas in the A413 that could use the extra lubrication.
    Joe Dzwil
    88 Daytona
    87 SC

If I ever get back into my TD cars, I will try it. There is a few highly stressed areas in the A413 that could use the extra lubrication.
    I agree, Dexron isn't exactly great metal on metal oil.

turbo addict

ok, I have the transmission disassembled and most of the parts in hand to rebuild it. I have a question about the low overrun clutch and cam assembly. The part of the cam assembly that houses the rollers and springs has wear on it where the flat part of the roller sits down on it. The wear is not even between the 8 rollers, about half have very little wear and others have .015-.020" worn. Is this a cause for concern? I am not able to find that part on any of the online supply sites. It looks like that part is pressed into the outer cam housing, it has what looks like alignment dowels that go through the cam. Any info appreciated. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by wallace View Post
    ok, I have the transmission disassembled and most of the parts in hand to rebuild it. I have a question about the low overrun clutch and cam assembly. The part of the cam assembly that houses the rollers and springs has wear on it where the flat part of the roller sits down on it. The wear is not even between the 8 rollers, about half have very little wear and others have .015-.020" worn. Is this a cause for concern? I am not able to find that part on any of the online supply sites. It looks like that part is pressed into the outer cam housing, it has what looks like alignment dowels that go through the cam. Any info appreciated. Thanks.
    That drum is part of the case and not replaceable except with another case, maybe snap some pics, it should be smooth or the rollers can catch and bind.

turbo addict

Yep I went ahead and ordered one from local dealer should be here by Friday. It's the part that the rollers and springs sit in and not part of the case. ATSG manual calls it the low overrunning clutch cam. I suspect the wear occurred because the car sat for a year or more before I bought it and rollers were dry on the top side of the transmission and galled when I started driving it. Do you use the tool to install this back in the case? It looks like a real bugger to get it in there without the rollers and springs falling out. I was thinking I might be able to invert the case so the rollers would be sitting on the clutch and not trying to fall off. What do you think?

Yep I went ahead and ordered one from local dealer should be here by Friday. It's the part that the rollers and springs sit in and not part of the case. ATSG manual calls it the low overrunning clutch cam. I suspect the wear occurred because the car sat for a year or more before I bought it and rollers were dry on the top side of the transmission and galled when I started driving it. Do you use the tool to install this back in the case? It looks like a real bugger to get it in there without the rollers and springs falling out. I was thinking I might be able to invert the case so the rollers would be sitting on the clutch and not trying to fall off. What do you think?
    You ordered a new case?

Go here for advice on the install-

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...-problem-found

turbo addict

no not the case the overrun clutch? pretty sure that is what it is called.

no not the case the overrun clutch? pretty sure that is what it is called.
    You said the drum part in the case was worn, so now you've got me confused, lol, so you mean the removable piece, ok, yeah, that is the over running clutch. What did they charge you?

turbo addict

It was right at $60 for the part. Sorry if the description was off and thanks for the help.

It was right at $60 for the part. Sorry if the description was off and thanks for the help.
    Not bad at all, but I guess it should be reasonable, that trans is in millions of cars and vans,

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

You know Joe, I always enjoy chatting with you & Bro at SDAC,(maybe drinking too) even with you driving there in the Caddy But heck, if you showed up in a TD/TM and I *wasn't* in a rental, that would be a real favorable precedent

Not sure why I stumbled onto the 413 threads, I don't have any auto TM's. I gotta give props to the respectful exchange of information in this thread (and the other) between Joe D. & Simon. Nicely done guys, I feel smarter now 135SOHC you had some good points too... Good threads guys.

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Cut and past, so I don't have to type it again. Maybe the following will help you.

And....Don't forget to check the inner race.

Originally Posted by fastasleep
    -Les
    BTW, how the hell do I put the overrun springs and rollers back in?
    The easy way:
    If you have an old/no good case, beat the overrunning clutch inner race out of it and assemble the overrunning clutch on it upside down. Then, while holding the overrunning clutch assembly up to the inner race in the trans. Slide the overrunning clutch while rotating it onto the inner race in the trans.

Again, you are assembling the overrunning clutch upside down on the inner race removed from another trans. Lining the newly assembled overrunning clutch inner race to inner race on your new trans. Then sliding while rotating the overrunning clutch assembly onto the new trans inner race.

The roller and spring kit is very cheap in price. Don't forget to replace it with new.
    Check the inner race inside the trans. If it is a little banged up from the rollers, dress it up with 400 wet and dry paper.

Joe Dzwil
    88 Daytona
    87 SC
    Joe Dzwil
    88 Daytona
    87 SC

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

miller makes a tool for that L-4440. currently a few listed on ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post
    miller makes a tool for that L-4440. currently a few listed on ebay.
    Bah, $40 we can keep for other things,

Another example, taking apart the forward clutch, you could buy the special gizmo but a vice and some cut up 3" pipe works,

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    You know Joe, I always enjoy chatting with you & Bro at SDAC,(maybe drinking too) even with you driving there in the Caddy But heck, if you showed up in a TD/TM and I *wasn't* in a rental, that would be a real favorable precedent

Not sure why I stumbled onto the 413 threads, I don't have any auto TM's. I gotta give props to the respectful exchange of information in this thread (and the other) between Joe D. & Simon. Nicely done guys, I feel smarter now 135SOHC you had some good points too... Good threads guys.
    Thank you Alan.

I enjoy you each year also. I think of you as the SDAC mayor. You always have something working.

Over the years I acquired a little knowledge on the TD automatic transaxle. Spending way to much time and money along with thinking way to hard. So, like the late Gus M. who I miss and had also inspired me, I try to give it back to the TD community.

The Caddy is tired. I don't think it will make another SDAC, but I think we all enjoy your rental car "show". I will do my best to be there to see all my friends. And I am still looking forward to driving one of your cars!
    Joe Dzwil
    88 Daytona
    87 SC

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast