Thread: 12 Button Navigator question

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor Lee'sdaytona's Avatar

12 Button Navigator question

Hey guys!
    So, I'd like to install a 12 button navigator in my 86 Daytona Turbo Z. I had asked about having the traveler in there, and I was told it is a direct swap. Well, I don't have a traveler, I have an elapsed time chronometer. When I removed it, the plug was different. Can I splice in the plug for the navigator, or are there signal wires that won't be there? Basically, I just want the time and date, but it would be nice if the other features worked as well.
    Thanks!
    -Lee

Re: 12 Button Navigator question

Yep! ya gotta wire in the extra circuits.Not too difficult if ya get a12 button get the plug and harness back as far as possible.I have a FSM with the diaghram. Lemme know if ya need it I'll hafta go to the library or Kinkos to scan it.

First check to see if its a"working" 12 button.The odds are 3to1 against.

Well, the display lights up nicely. I have the replacement buttons ready to go in for it. I have a pigtail harness for it, but thats about it. I too have the FSM for 1986, so I'm sure I could find it in there. I assume at least some of those existing wires for the elapsed time thing match up to the navigator wireing harness, no?
    -Lee

Can't remember all of it. I think ya hafta run 1 wire to the LM.
    How bout fixin 1 of my 12 buttons?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Woah woah woah. Before you go cutting anything, reach back in and look for the other pigtail. The cars came with both plugs, and the unused one should be taped up out of the way, just have to feel around a bit. This has been true on my '86 Turbo Z that I daily drove for nearly 13 years, an '85 Z that I parted out, and my '88 Shelby Z. The '88 came with just the cubby, and had both of the plugs taped to the inside top of the dash, beside the headlamp module.

Wow, how cool! I will definitely check that out. BigBrudda, I'd be happy to fix your navigator. I just would have to buy 12 more new buttons.
    Thanks,
    Lee

HEY wait a minute! didn't you buy a navigator from me a coupla yrs ago?

I don't think so....I always had an ample supply of navigators, when I had my first Daytona in high school, and this latest one I grabbed at a junkyard. I might have purchased some other item from you...maybe?
    -Lee

BigBrudda, I swapped in my navigator tonight! Sure enough the wires were tucked away behind the dash. Never would have known that.
    Now, I just need to figure out why whenever the door is open (dome lamp on) the radio and nav. shut off. The navigator re-sets itself, so I can't keep the date set.
    Could a bad ground from the fuel rail to the firewall cause something like this?
    -Lee

The dome light switch is connected to the chassis near where the instrument cluster is bolted down. Sounds like the dome light is making your cluster ground float. Check your ground strap between the intake and the chassis. Also check the instrument cluster bolt down by the e-brake pedal. Use a jumper cable from the instrument cluster framework to the *negative* battery terminal to see if that fixes it. If so, fix those grounds!

Its funny, the ground strap from the intake to the firewall is pretty dirty/crudely connected. I will clean that up and see if that fixes it. I sure hope so, because I'd like to keep the date set on the nav and the radio should work when the door opens!
    -Lee

Ok, I cleaned up both the ground above the e-brake pedal, and the one below the e-brake pedal both under the driver's side kick panel. Replaced the ground strap from the intake to the firewall. Then I got a jumper from the radio ground strap directly to the negative of the battery, and still the same issue. This leads me to think there is a problem in the positive side of the circuit? I've got two things working against me: There were mice living in the HVAC unit, and water has leaked from the t-tops into the dash area by the head lamp switch.
    I have not found any chewed wires, however. What should I do next? Could fuses be an issue? I would think if oversized, it just wouldn't protect anything, and if undersized, the fuse would blow automatically....
    Thanks!
    -Lee