Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody else have their turbos unleased clutch disc come apart??

boostaholic

Anybody else have their turbos unleased clutch disc come apart??

As the title stated, has anybody had the rivets come out on their turbos unleashed clutch? I think i've read somewhere where others have had this issue. Mine did with less than 20k miles, i'll post up pics later.

Last edited by jl93sundance; 10-25-2011 at 04:54 PM.
    -Jim Too many cars, not enough time..

Re: Anybody else have their turbos unleased clutch disc come apart??

I had the springs come out. Kevlar stage 2 in a 543. Had in in the car for maybe 6 months, couple thousand miles.
    95 spirit 3.0/543 15.0@91 N/A, 14.5@96 on a 50 shot RIP 87 shelby Z - project car, maybe I can drive it this year 91 spirit - roll it, chop the top, do some burnouts! RIP

Jim,

I am curently waiting on a few pics of your disk so I can get a better idea of what may have caused the failure. As I mentioned in my email to you, this is a proven clutch combination that has endured continued abuse for many, many miles. Pat Culkin squeezed a 10 out of his Stage II after 4 long brutal racing seasons (http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...is!&highlight=) and I believe Scott Lasky managed to put higher mileage on his due to our thicker then stock pucks. As Murphy noted above we did have a few issues with our Kevlar disks many years ago but after a slight design change the disks were capable of handing higher torque applications.

Thanks!

Chris-TU
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

I haven't had anthing come apart and i've been running TU clutches for about 6 years now. The blue plate clutch I originally used I pounded the hell out of until finally I overpowered it. The purple plate clutch has about 20 passes (in the same day!) on it and has been into the mid 10's with a top trap speed of 137 mph in the same Shadow.

For the original poster, whatever happened, call Chris. I'm sure he'll get you sorted out.

Jim,

My clutch technician and I were reviewing the photos you emailed me directly this morning. We were trying to figure out what might have caused the scrape marks on the inner and some outer disc spring eye lids. You can see them better in the attached photo you sent us. Since this is on the pressure plate side we couldn't figure out what might have contacted the disk there and caused those marks.

Chris-TU
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clutch_2.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	359.1 KB 
ID:	34838  
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Chris W View Post
    Jim,

My clutch technician and I were reviewing the photos you emailed me directly this morning. We were trying to figure out what might have caused the scrape marks on the inner and some outer disc spring eye lids. You can see them better in the attached photo you sent us. Since this is on the pressure plate side we couldn't figure out what might have contacted the disk there and caused those marks.

Chris-TU
    Probably had scraped after the rivets came out, since I had to drive it to the dealer, that would be my best guess. I'll take pics of the pressure plate tomorrow.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Since this is on the pressure plate side we couldn't figure out what might have contacted the disk there and caused those marks.
    The pic looks like the flywheel side?

+1 to it scraping after the rivets came out... every clutch (any brand) I have had let go usually takes some stuff out.

20k miles? Not too bad, I think my record for destroying a clucth is 200 miles, but most were 1/4 mile at a time

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post

+1 to it scraping after the rivets came out... every clutch (any brand) I have had let go usually takes some stuff out.

20k miles? Not too bad, I think my record for destroying a clucth is 200 miles, but most were 1/4 mile at a time
    I think its more on the 10-15k mile range. And stock horsepower and not even taken to the track/launched, I would expect it to last longer than that lol. Theres still plenty of material left on the disk too so idk.

Ya know, it depends on a lot of stuff. My old CSX (stock) killed a stock T2 clutch in ~ 5k miles. Springs came right out, pad material looked brand new. On the flip side, I have had other old rusty clutches that I thought would fail quickly last forever.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!

Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

boostaholic

Ya know, it depends on a lot of stuff. My old CSX (stock) killed a stock T2 clutch in ~ 5k miles. Springs came right out, pad material looked brand new. On the flip side, I have had other old rusty clutches that I thought would fail quickly last forever.
    Yeah I guess it all depends on the quality of the clutch, which is why i'm really disappointed since I spent almost double what a stock t2 clutch costs and I get this result

turbo addict
    Don't blame the clutch. Sometimes crap like this just happens. Can't be 100% perfect 100% of yge time. I had an fwd performance clutch do the same thing but my trans came loose from the block and ruined the alignment. How is the input bearing, any weird vibrations or anything.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by shackwrrr View Post
    Don't blame the clutch. Sometimes crap like this just happens. Can't be 100% perfect 100% of yge time. I had an fwd performance clutch do the same thing but my trans came loose from the block and ruined the alignment. How is the input bearing, any weird vibrations or anything.
    Bearing is good, there's no play in the input shaft at all, and was silent till I started having the engaging issues, which was caused by it coming apart.

Jim's second picture in the first post is the flywheel side. The picture Jim sent me and I posted is the PP side. It is difficult to tell though due to the angle.

I did a little research and found out Jim purchased his clutch in October of '08 so it's exactly 3 years old. I directed our clutch technician to this thread and he should be chiming in shortly.

Thanks!

Chris-TU

My bad, I see the sprung hub now.. hard too see depth as it is a straight on shot

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

Mitsu booster

Having viewed the pictures of the disc failure the failure does not seem to be torque related. If it were the rivets would be sheered in line with engine rotation. The rivets in the picture seem to have pulled thru the holes in the front and back plates as a result of some form of misalignment. I am hoping to get the press plate and disc in hand so i can make a more acurate diagnosis.
    MARC CLUTCHMAN

Good observation. The rivots are not sheared off, but instead pulled out. Maybe pulled out from the springs pushing on the spring hub as they tried to exit?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

boostaholic

And like I said, there were no warning signs/noises up until out of nowhere one day I had issues with engaging/changing gears.

---------- Post added at 11:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 PM ----------

Jim's second picture in the first post is the flywheel side. The picture Jim sent me and I posted is the PP side. It is difficult to tell though due to the angle.

I did a little research and found out Jim purchased his clutch in October of '08 so it's exactly 3 years old. I directed our clutch technician to this thread and he should be chiming in shortly.

Thanks!

Chris-TU
    Ok so that means it was installed in december of 08' then, I should be able to narrow down the exact miles put on it.

Quote Originally Posted by clutchman View Post
    Having viewed the pictures of the disc failure the failure does not seem to be torque related. If it were the rivets would be sheered in line with engine rotation. The rivets in the picture seem to have pulled thru the holes in the front and back plates as a result of some form of misalignment. I am hoping to get the press plate and disc in hand so i can make a more acurate diagnosis.
    MARC CLUTCHMAN
    I would be more than happy to send it in if thats what you and Chris want me to do. Chris, shoot me an email on what you want to do, Thanks.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shackwrrr View Post
    Shitt happens, Chris will take care of you.

Looks like the rivets simply let go, IE they weren't properly spread and simply pulled thru.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

This is what happened to a Eurodrive Clutch in 2010 that was purchased and installed in 2002.

Please note that there are only 4 rivets so this design seems more apt to have this type of failure. All the rivets would eventually have pulled through. When the hub comes apart there is nothing to hold the springs. A spring failure would either be a broken spring or the spring exiting the hub by means of damaging the hub enough that it can exit.

This finally came apart on a power shift racing some DSM in my daily. He blew up and I didn't realize my clutch was fubar until it started getting a little worse. It started coming apart very quickly from initial failure. Harder and harder to shift as it started contacting the plate.

I blame the rivets being very small and only having 4 of them. They also seem to be hallow rivet head which seems stupid for a rivet meant to take serious loads. My solid discs all have beefy solid rivets and higher buck brands have some HUGE rivets.
    Not sure if there is a design reason to use that style rivet or if its just easier to install. Look at the crazy amount of rivets and how beefy they are on the outer plate, then a paltry comparison on the hub.

Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

turbo addict

Just a note i have see this falure also caused buy installers hanging the trans weight on the input shaft when installing the trans .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast