Thread: DSM turbo issue

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff dodgeshadowchik's Avatar

DSM turbo issue

Ok, all jokes aside, as I've heard them all...

I have a pretty random breaking up issue. It happens around 4000rpm up... Somedays its ok, somedays its absolutely horrible. Sometimes its fine and then bad in the same day. Other than this, the car runs great. It idles great; it cruises great... coolant temp stays perfect.. all fluids look good, ect.

Did change out the plugs today. Haven't driven the car yet, though.

What was odd is that when the car was given timing and fuel, it had a pretty nice, clean pull... but it was registering knock. So then we took fuel back out to lean it out, but it then broke up in all gears... I couldn't even get it to rev out to 5000rpm because it was breaking up so bad. This doesn't make sense to me at all! You'd think running rich would cause problems like this. Well, it's still running rich... but you know.

As for what's done to the car:
    - Forced Performance 2 272/272 cams with upgraded springs/retainers
    - Cleaned up Cly head with mild port/polish job; it was cut down due to being warped
    -Cometic MLS HG (thicker than stock to make up for the undercut head)
    -Evo3 16g turbo
    -ETS street FMIC/Tial BOV/3"GM MAF (blow-through)
    -650cc injectors
    -Walboro 255 rewire pump and Aeromotive FPR set to 43psi base
    -3" turbo-back thermal RD exhaust
    -Megan 02 housing
    -EVO3 exhaust manifold
    -DSMlink V3 with the GM MAF cable
    -AEM WB
    -ARP head studs and ARP rod bolts
    -JE Forged pistons 8.5:1
    -currently running 25psi boost

I think that's most of it off hand...
    Attached is a pic of the plugs...

Thank you for any advise... I'm confused. :/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3000mile_sparkplugs_3_numberdsm.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	320.8 KB 
ID:	34750  

"I'll give you anything you'll ever need and I'll find a way to turn you into a monster."

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Re: DSM turbo issue

Sell it? LOL, sorry, had to.

Switch it to speed density, get rid of the MAF garbage? LOL... yep, had to say it again

Does it break up on any boost? I thought it was OK at 10psi?

What does the timing do at 10, 15, 20 and 25 psi at 4k RPM?

Hard to say on the plugs as it runs 15:1 w/o boost then 10:1 with boost, unless your a/f reading is wrong?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

It breaks up under any boost setting.... I thought it was ok, and it was at times. That's what messing with my head.. how it's like intermittent.

Yeah, it runs 14.7 -15.3:1 at idle. Then under load it'll drop to 10:1 or as low as 9:1 (according to the ECMlink software; since the gauge only goes to 10)
    The only other odd thing going on here is that it seems to me ignoring the fuel map changes. It is leaned out some under load to a target of 10:8 :1; yet it want to run a 9:1. Now, 9:1 is a setting on the fail-safe maps... so maybe its defaulting to those? But I'm not sure how to see if that if, in fact, what its doing.

Yes, I'd like SD... but for now it would be nice to figure it out on the MAF.

I did find out that it calculates a load factor, and that's how it make adjustments. So instead of logging and using boost pressure it has a load factor in the software. I need to read some more on what inputs it actually uses to get that load factor.

---------- Post added at 06:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:13 PM ----------

oh.. at 4000rpm on the log where I did get to 25psi, it was running 5.4 deg of timing. Now this log it ran clean. *shrug*

"I'll give you anything you'll ever need and I'll find a way to turn you into a monster."

if it is intermittent then maybe it is a "rate of change" adjustment?

For example if the TPS rate of change is fast, or the load rate of increase is fast, does it add fuel faster or pull timing faster? Are there "rate fo change" settings you can check on?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!

Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

That's interesting.. I am not sure.

I am trying to think of things that could cause it to be intermitent...

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

Well, it's starting to sound like the wires are the problem. I've run into several people now who have had the exact same complaint... using the Magancore wires. So going to see if I can test the resistance on them.. but looks like I'll be changing out wires.

Changed out the wires to MSD.... smoother idle; but still had the breaking up. I went into DSMlink, and messed with the injector deadtime a bit.... it seemed to help it out somewhat.. but it's still got some issues. However, it's now running more A/F's like it should. No more 9:1. Now it's seeing 10:1 to 10:3 at WOT.

It's pretty annoying....

turbo addict
    What parameters put it into the failsafe map
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

That's what I'm not sure about either.... trying to dig up some more information about what would trigger it to run off those maps.