Thread: what the hell?

Hybrid booster

what the hell?

Bought this 94 Shadow last week. I love the car but am freaked out over something strange in the cabin. The left side restraint is the standard manual style, but the pass restraint is auto (slider upper) and does not work. What the heck? Did someone splice this car together, or am i smoking something and not enjoying it?

Help

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Re: what the hell?

It was cheaper than installing an airbag... 94 AA body cars have them as well.

Best fix for it is to get rid of it. I've got the regular seatbelt, all the plastic trim from a 93 that I pulled a few years ago in preparation for the autobelt track to malfunction and it hasnt yet...
    1994 Shadow Sedan. 2.2 N/A, A568 400,000 miles. "the science experiment"
    1987 Shelby CSX #418. Long term rebuild and restore ?

How hard is it to swap over? is there already a bolthole in the B pillar?
    95 spirit 3.0/543 15.0@91 N/A, 14.5@96 on a 50 shot RIP 87 shelby Z - project car, maybe I can drive it this year 91 spirit - roll it, chop the top, do some burnouts! RIP

That area is 'hollow' to accomodate the motor drive. chrysler used a bolt in nut plate on the export cars to allow for a regular seatbelt.

turbo addict

This is news to me. Was the auto belt on all P and A bodies for 1994? I had one that wasn't, in fact, I've never seen one in person. Maybe Canada is "export"?

Hybrid booster

my 94's auto seatbelt works just fine, haven't lubed the track since i got it, 200,000 miles on her. I think imma keep it, I like to see the girl's hair get caught in the hook when they open the door, it's fun to see their face pushed up against the dash and hear them squealing. (wait a second... that mighta been a different story)

Quote Originally Posted by shadow88 View Post
    This is news to me. Was the auto belt on all P and A bodies for 1994? I had one that wasn't, in fact, I've never seen one in person. Maybe Canada is "export"?
    Canada isnt the US market so yes up north is considered export.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowv4l View Post
    my 94's auto seatbelt works just fine, haven't lubed the track since i got it, 200,000 miles on her. I think imma keep it, I like to see the girl's hair get caught in the hook when they open the door, it's fun to see their face pushed up against the dash and hear them squealing. (wait a second... that mighta been a different story)
    ROFL

135sohc, you answered my question so now i can calm down, lol! Fascinating how they opted for auto track vs pass bag..

I'm sure it was a lot cheaper to do the seat belt than redesign the dash board that they were only going to be making got another year or so. They did that with the omni in its last few years so they could put a drivers side bag in it. I guess they found it wasn't worth the time/money.
    95 spirit 3.0/543 15.0@91 N/A, 14.5@96 on a 50 shot RIP 87 shelby Z - project car, maybe I can drive it this year 91 spirit - roll it, chop the top, do some burnouts! RIP

turbo addict

Got a pic of this belt set up? The shadows up here never got a passenger bag. At least none I've ever seen, and I was at the dealership during those glory days.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by shadow88 View Post
    Got a pic of this belt set up? The shadows up here never got a passenger bag. At least none I've ever seen, and I was at the dealership during those glory days.
    None did that i know of. You want a pic of the pass side belt channel? I can have that posted in a day or so..

turbo addict

I've never seen one. It would be nice to have a look at and see how it works.

Hybrid booster

Okay update... IT WORKS WOOOT! Be easy on me, this is the first time owning a car with the automatic pass belt, lol.. Okay so i found the belt and for giggles plugged it into the slider hook (this took couple tries to get right). I was opening door to show the car to a friend and BAM, it zipped quietly forward then back again when door closed. I am so happy, now i can take my gal out! So my guess is- it has to ground out (clipped in) to be active? Pretty neat system..

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post
    It was cheaper than installing an airbag... 94 AA body cars have them as well.

Best fix for it is to get rid of it. I've got the regular seatbelt, all the plastic trim from a 93 that I pulled a few years ago in preparation for the autobelt track to malfunction and it hasnt yet...
    So this was on 94 acclaims and spirits as well? How have I never seen one......

Garrett booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

I never knew this either, thank goodness I live north of the 49th. I really don't care for auto belts.

Quote Originally Posted by bobconan View Post
    So this was on 94 acclaims and spirits as well? How have I never seen one......
    Yup...

Three things come to mind as to maybe why you havnt seen one.
    • Its been coverted to a regular seatbelt in the past.
    • If its not a 94/95 car then it wont have one.
    • You have only seen export cars.
    I dont know where your making the comparison saying you have never seen one if just based upon cars at the yard or driving down the road/parked somewhere. But they do very much exist.

Hybrid booster

i have one and they suck i hate that auto belt i havent looked at it but if i can pull it out its getting yanked for a regular belt my son pulled the lap belt out all the way snapped back and never came back out ,just cause he decided to play cause my other shadows never had one