Thread: 95 Neon trans question

Garrett booster

95 Neon trans question

I have a 95 Neon with an auto I just bought that had thrown a rod. Replaced the engine, serviced the tranny with a filter and ATF+4(clean pan, nothing but a bit of metallic paste on the magnet). Driving it when it's cold it seem to flare the 2-3 shift a bit. The harder you accelerate the less noticable it is. Shifts fine a mile or 2 down the road.

Before I drove it I noticed the "kick down cable" linkage (which I believe is also raises governor pressure the more the accelerator is applied) on the tranny was siezed, so I freed it up.

Just wondering if the goofy shift is maybe caused by the cable having stretched or something since the linkage was siezed, and it just needs a bit more governor pressure to work better.

Or is the tranny on it's way out? Oh, and what model tranny is it? It doesn't seem to be an overdrive (unless it is and isn't shifting into OD). Hard to rebuild if required? Thanks

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: 95 Neon trans question

The 2-3 shift issue is common but it seems Dodge fixed it with the 31TH or Neon version of the A413. Try adjusting the band, the adjuster is under the kickdown cable, 18mm nut, 10mm adjuster. Back off the nut, tighten down the adjuster snug, very little torque, then back off 1.5 turns, hold and tighten lock nut. IF the problem remains, try tightening/loosing it a bit and if the issue remains, then the 3rd gear clutch pack has excessive play and on its way out.

How did you set the kickdown cable? It should be set at WOT with no freeplay.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Garrett booster

Ah. Thanks. I didn't think there was adjustment on the cable,I'll have to look again. Never thought of adjusting the band.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 83rampage View Post
    Ah. Thanks. I didn't think there was adjustment on the cable,I'll have to look again. Never thought of adjusting the band.
    Not sure on the Neon but for us, there is a clip you have to pull up where the bracket is, have someone WOT it, then you pull the cable back until it stops, then push the clip back down.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info