Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: DoubleD's IROC R/T Build Log

boostaholic

Re: DoubleD's IROC R/T Build Log

Compete in an autocross even a couple of weeks back, somehow during my run the top polyurethane busing on the bobble strut popped off. A corner worked handed me the part and I know exactly where it came from. I thought I lost the nut and washer so when I got home, I pulled the turbo and found the nut and washer still there, somehow the top bushing just popped off. I reassembled the bobble strut and that clunk was gone.

Last week I was driving the car and I felt a weird vibration when I made turns. Got home and looked the car over, then I discovered the nut on the front motor mount bolt was missing off the long bolt. I also found that a couple of the transmission to motor bolts were loose and not even finger tight anymore. I slapped a new nut on the front motor mount and tightened up any loose bolts. From now on I will be using Loctite on all motor mount fasteners. After tightening, the car us driving good again.

Did some more fine tuning on the E85 tune and got drive ability dialed in. Car is running fantastic, drive ability is great, no more bucking, sputtering, or going super rich. Drives like it is almost stock now. Car starts up and idles smoothly at 900 RPM, transition off of idle to cruising is great. Been daily driving the car the past few days and it is really a joy to drive.
    Nice to have all the stock manners, but still be able to stomp on it, turbo comes to life, traction becomes a huge issue, and it just pulls like a freight train.

turbo addict

If using the PB engine mounts, do NOT preload the bobble strut like you normally would with a rubber or filled mount. I found this out the hard way. It induces a LOT of vibration into the car and does exactly ZERO for anything else besides loosening up other fasteners.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Also, Johnny has 2 different bushings for those, a blue and a black. I broke the blue ones once, told Johnny and he sent me the black ones, no more issue. Blue are slightly softer for stockish drivers, black is harder and for racing/higher power and spirited driving.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Force Fed Mopar View Post
    Also, Johnny has 2 different bushings for those, a blue and a black. I broke the blue ones once, told Johnny and he sent me the black ones, no more issue. Blue are slightly softer for stockish drivers, black is harder and for racing/higher power and spirited driving.
    My car originally had the black bushings from Johnny, I swapped to the blue ones a few years ago thinking it would help with cabin vibrations. I replaced all of the motor mounts a few years back and I think my bobble strut is too short now. I am thinking I will cut the threaded portion down shorter and then thread on a coupling nut and a chunk of threaded rod, then I can have an adjustable height mount and I can make sure there is no pre-load on the strut. I am pretty sure right now I have some pre-load cause the threaded portion is too short. My wife does tell me the floor boards vibrate and her feet are right by the mount. I also added some fatigue mat foam under the carpet on her side to try and dampen the vibrations as well.

The slightly larger turbo may require cutting down the transmission mount shorter as well.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleD View Post
    I am looking at the Synapse and the Tial Q. My buddy has the Tial Q on his Spirit R/T and it held over 50PSI before it blew the tester off of the coupler. I will also take a look at Agency, right now I am leaning towards the Tial.
    Anyone here have experience with Turbosmart BOV's? I am looking at the Race Port model as well.

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleD View Post
    Anyone here have experience with Turbosmart BOV's? I am looking at the Race Port model as well.
    If you're gonna run a He351, you won't need a BOV. My dad's setup sounds awesome internally gated

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MaineMopar View Post
    If you're gonna run a He351, you won't need a BOV. My dad's setup sounds awesome internally gated

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
    BOV does not = wastegate Unless you mean they have a built-in blow-off valve?
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112