Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: DoubleD's IROC R/T Build Log

boostaholic

Wink DoubleD's IROC R/T Build Log

So I've been driving my IROC for a year and a half now and the car is mechanically sound now, (minus the neccessity of a new ceramic clutch and an OBX posi while the transmission is out) I am looking for opinions and ideas as to what to do with the exterior of the car now. Heres the current game plan:

The theme is Black and Blue (Engine bay and interior is already complete with theme)

Complete Paint Job: Brilliant Black Pearl
    Replace the Pentastar on the front and the "Dodge" and "IROC" decals on the side going with a Mopar blue color.
    Tint the front fog lights with a clear and black mix, then replace fog lights with HID bulbs.
    Replace side badges and change red parts to blue.
    Build bracket to hold license plate under drivers fog light and not obstruct front air inlets.
    Wet sand headlights and fog lights to make clear again.
    GTO tinted headlight covers for daytime usage and shows.
    Silverstar Halogen highs and lows or HID's??
    Replace or fix cracked taillight lens.

2-3" lowering springs and high performance shocks (unknown source for springs and shocks)
    Front strut brace (Purchase or fabricate)

Wheels
    I am either going to powder coat my current wheels black, graphite, silver or polish them and clear them.. Still up in the air on the wheel color.

Finish swapping all the interior indicator lights to Blue LED's

Car currently makes good TIII power with a 50 trim, but a HE341 is being installed this winter.

My goal is to have a summer driver that I can take to shows with a detail and be different and unique, but still be good for a thrashing on an autocross track or drag strip.

Looking for input and ideas!!!

Current Pics to follow...

Last edited by DoubleD; 10-27-2014 at 11:00 AM.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Turbo224's Avatar

Re: 92 IROC R/T Build Plans.

Sounds like a good build plan, but I dont think your wheels would look good in anything other than silver. I say polish them.

~Tyler Larsen~Salt Lake City~
    -92 Daytona R/T (T3/T4 Hybrid, Quaife, etc...)
    -86 Jeep Grand Wagoneer Woody (winter beast)
    -01 Audi TT Quattro (daily driver)
    -71 Plymouth Cuda 440-6pk tribute

Check out my Homepage

boostaholic

After taking another look at the car in the sun I think polished is definitely the way to go with a coat of clear to hold the look.

Also, anyone good with photo shop and could give me a look of how the car would look with a 2-3" drop to tuck the 17's nicely? Also if you could get rid of that nasty silver pinstripe that would be awesome..
    Thanks

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Polish for sure. Not sure about a 3" drop, will put the wheels under the fender lip and you'll bottom everything out,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

boostaholic

I don't want a drastic drop, I want something that will bring the CG down but still be able to take a stupid pot hole here and there. I live in MN and they are inevitable. I've heard its very popular to take the Eibach lowering springs and cut a coil off. Per Jackson, I just think the Daytona sits too high it feels like its up in the air for a performance car.

boostaholic

Playing with some photo editing software I found... Here's the general idea

Side View So far..

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

^ to me, that stance is perfect. That's what mine will look like in spring, and I'm going to do the eibach spring cut like you mentioned.

I have them on my spririt r/t un-cut and it sits a bit high imo.

boostaholic

Drop springs sit too high? Sounds like an oxymoron at the min...

boostaholic

Holset is on the way!!!

Was also given HID Projectors and ballasts from my roommate out of a Chrysler 300c, So those will replace the stock fog lights, when I build custom housings for these.

boostaholic

Couldn't resist taking a comparison photo.

Hybrid booster

Sounds like a pretty cool build. You were pretty specific about everything in your build but the motor. What are your plans, just slap a holset on with required modifications and call it a day? Or do you plan on putting some more work into while you have the top end apart? power goals?

I vote polish the rims. I'm a big of polished rims, just my opinion. I polished my pizza wheels and they came out real nice.

and the lowered pic you got looks great.

It will be interesting to see the difference between the HE341 and the 50 trim, they are virtually the same turbo.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Hybrid booster

^+1 I agree!! The HE 351 spools faster than a 50 trim so I think its safe to say HE341 will spool a even faster while making more power at the same boost level. Should make a very mean street machine!!

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by moe44688 View Post
    Sounds like a pretty cool build. You were pretty specific about everything in your build but the motor. What are your plans, just slap a holset on with required modifications and call it a day? Or do you plan on putting some more work into while you have the top end apart? power goals?

I vote polish the rims. I'm a big of polished rims, just my opinion. I polished my pizza wheels and they came out real nice.

and the lowered pic you got looks great.
    I went through the motor last spring and had the head done, Checked all the bearings, (previous owner replaced) honed the cylinders and replaced all the rings, (some genius had all three rings gaps lined up in cylinder 4) completed Jackson timing Idler Mod... I could go into more details, but I cant recall right now. The car has been torn into quite a few times. Previous owner did some work including porting the intake, head, and exhaust manifold.

I am hoping to make 425+ whp. I have already have plenty of fuel mods and extensive engine tuning experience. So I'm going to tune it myself with my buddies help. I've been busy doing calculations and deciding if I'm going to switch to E85... Decisions, decisions...

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    It will be interesting to see the difference between the HE341 and the 50 trim, they are virtually the same turbo.
    My roommate has a Spirit R/T with the Holset HE341 on it and with very similar modifications at the same boost his car will wreck me. I have a few more things done to my car that should help it flow better and make a few more ponies... Only time will tell

Also my 50 trim was old, I had a stage 0 or stage 1 exhaust wheel, real small. I had nothing but issues with the turbo and I am happy to move to something that is designed to handle higher Pressure Ratios, from all that I can tell it should be a smart change, Got the turbo for a smoking good deal, so that doesn't hurt either...
    Last edited by DoubleD; 11-30-2011 at 10:54 AM.

boostaholic

So I bought a house and I am finally getting the car back on the road as my house took up a bunch of time. The plan now is just get the car back on the road soon and enjoy it, but I need a clutch, so with my current set-up and my future plans to put the HE341 on the car, What clutch do you guys recommend? I am debating between the FWD and TU, but I don't know which to go with. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Purple plate with whatever disc Chris recommends.

boostaholic

Called Chris today and ordered up the Purple Plate with the 6 puck. I got the last one in stock till August.. Whew. Time to get the car back on the road.

Its an awesome clutch. I've never tried Cindy's but driven a few with Purple plates, almost like a stock clutch but it holds power,

boostaholic

My old roommate has a Spirit R/T with Cindy's clutch, he has the HE 341 and her's holds no issues but after talking to Chris, he told me this one has been tested to 485 HP and being on stock rods, I don't want to push my car past 475 whp. So I figure having a clutch slip where I want to max out my power and save the rods make sense. I would much rather slip the clutch then destroy the rods and the motor at the same time. I still don't think I can get those numbers on +40 injectors, So I should be all fine and dandy even if I go to meth or E85.

Hybrid booster

Didn't jackson reach the upper 400HP range with +40's?? And he used meth BTW.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast