Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weber Sidedraft DCOE 40's, NOS Intakes, & Brand New Air Cleaners.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: Weber Sidedraft DCOE 40's, NOS Intakes, & Brand New Air Cleaners.

Jeremy, spill, what are you doing with these?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Heheh well....I wasn't planning on a n/a build, but last year my brother was given an '84 Plymouth Reliant wagon and we were going to do turbo/EFI swap with some spare parts I have around here. But I have my hands full to say the least with other projects right now. I think instead of the turbo swap we are going to put these Webers on instead. The wagon was sitting in a field outside of town for the last 15 years. During that time some tweaker stole the Holley carb, but it is rust free and hail damage free too.

I'm also hoping to find out if these intake manifolds could be adapted to use the Hilborn mechanical fuel injection setup I have. It is also ITB like these Webers are.

Here are a couple pics of the Hilborn setup. It is actually for the Chrysler 2.2. The ports are the right size/spacing/shape but it needs an adapter flange to mate to the 8v head. That is the only part I'm missing. You should see the fuel pump setup for this thing. Belt driven and lots of specialized relief valves. I've heard they are not very streetable (at all?) So I doubt I'll get serious about using it. Sure would be neat to convert to EFI though, with a modern high pressure return fuel system.

Attachment 35008 Attachment 35009 Attachment 35010 Attachment 35011 Attachment 35012 Attachment 35013 Attachment 35014

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

ooh an 84 wagon. I like those. Post pics.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Unfortunately the car is tucked away in one of our maintenance garages so I can't access it to take good pics. So far I have upgraded the car with the (refreshed) knuckles/hubs/brakes from my '87 CSX including the rear disc brakes. Also have put a set of 16" GTC lace wheels on the car since they happen to be lying around (looks good) and put a new set of Monroe shocks from Rock Auto on the rear.

My brother pulled the drivetrain out while I was on vacation and had a little accident with the cherry picker. Apparently the engine swung forward and smashed the grille so I'm looking for a nice grille too. He really wants to convert the car to manual trans like his old '83 Aries wagon used to have (A465 4-speed), but that is going to wait too since it would just take too long right now so the original automatic will probably go back in.

As far as the Weber setup though, I still need to get the linkage setup and do some research on the fuel system requirements. Sounds like people are running them with a Carter or other aftermarket electric fuel pump at real low pressure....like 2.5-3 psi. I wanted to eliminate the in-block fuel pump and lines anyway.

Awesome, can't wait for sound clips. Need a cam?

FWIW, I ran the stock 78 Civic fuel pump on my single sidedraft. It had a ported head by me, performance cam, header and I'd spin it to 7500, no issues with fuel starvation.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Garrett booster

Iv heard 3 or 4 psi is good. Your Hilborn setup looks really interesting, where'd you find a setup meant for our cars? Turbomini, I won some nos mopar parts on ebay, comes with a cam. Any way I can find out which cam it is? Would there be part numbers on it or?? These Webers are going to look so good in the wagon, you just wait!!

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    Here are a couple pics of the Hilborn setup. It is actually for the Chrysler 2.2. The ports are the right size/spacing/shape but it needs an adapter flange to mate to the 8v head. That is the only part I'm missing. You should see the fuel pump setup for this thing. Belt driven and lots of specialized relief valves. I've heard they are not very streetable (at all?) So I doubt I'll get serious about using it. Sure would be neat to convert to EFI though, with a modern high pressure return fuel system.

Attachment 35008 Attachment 35009 Attachment 35010 Attachment 35011 Attachment 35012 Attachment 35013 Attachment 35014
    ^^ Unicorn of a setup you have there

Garrett booster

Nicely put haha. Hope to see it setup one day if the manifold is found. While reading the speed secrets book I came across it saying that the psi for the dual weber setup needs to be at 3.5 psi. It says to use an adjustable regulator. Part number probably isnt good but its P4120228. If running an electric fuel pump it should be located near the gas tank, they should not have to pull gas up hill. As far as racing classes were back in the day, the IMSA RS class required a switch to dual side draft webers in 85' and 86'. Carbs go out tomorrow, Thanks again!
    Last edited by mopargriffin; 11-04-2011 at 05:47 AM.

You know I could have sworn it wasn't too long ago somebody else was selling a Hilborn 2.2L setup on this forum. I have no idea how rare they really are, but I've only seen a couple for sale over the years and I've been into the turbo dodge thing since the mid 90s. What can I say, I got really lucky checking my bookmarked search string over at allofcraigslist one day and hit the jackpot. Got them from an older racer guy in Boise ID. He was going to use them to go racing at Bonneville in a car he built called a streamliner. I got to tour his shop and talked to him for 3-4 hours about all things motorsports. Awesome stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by mopargriffin View Post
    Iv heard 3 or 4 psi is good. Your Hilborn setup looks really interesting, where'd you find a setup meant for our cars? Turbomini, I won some nos mopar parts on ebay, comes with a cam. Any way I can find out which cam it is? Would there be part numbers on it or?? These Webers are going to look so good in the wagon, you just wait!!
    Only way is to measure on the car or find a camshaft shop with a cam doctor-its a machine, lol.

I got the DCOE setup today....two days early according to the tracking number! Very nice packaging too, I think the mail truck would have had to run them over to cause any damage! Everything looks great, totally pegs the cool meter. Can't wait to try them out!!

Not only that, I found the original (chrome) valve cover from my old '85 GLH and even a set of Mopar Performance chrome valve cover attachment hardware w/chrome oil fill cap I bought back in the late 90s' when I was cleaning my garage so they will definitely complement the setup.

Garrett booster

iTurbo, thats awesome!! I hate the feeling of opening up a package to see that my parts are damaged, I made sure that didnt happen to you (hence the apx. 30ft of bubble wrap, haha). That VC will look great with those carbs, your going to have a killer setup. Totally Old School Chrysler, cant wait to see the finished product. When you say chrome valve cover attachment hardware, you mean chrome top bolts or? Anyhow, thanks again for your business, -G

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

You know I could have sworn it wasn't too long ago somebody else was selling a Hilborn 2.2L setup on this forum. I have no idea how rare they really are, but I've only seen a couple for sale over the years and I've been into the turbo dodge thing since the mid 90s. What can I say, I got really lucky checking my bookmarked search string over at allofcraigslist one day and hit the jackpot. Got them from an older racer guy in Boise ID. He was going to use them to go racing at Bonneville in a car he built called a streamliner. I got to tour his shop and talked to him for 3-4 hours about all things motorsports. Awesome stuff.
    Jeremy, there is a Boise guy that also has at least two 16V TC Masi's. Is this the same guy, works for an auto auction IIRC...

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Hi Alan, this guys name was Dan Wiseman. I don't think he had any TCs though. That is funny you mention that though because the primary reason I was there was to pick up a 16v TC motor. The Buick was dragging --- back to Wyoming but it was well worth it!

---------- Post added at 04:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:53 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by mopargriffin View Post
    iTurbo, thats awesome!! I hate the feeling of opening up a package to see that my parts are damaged, I made sure that didnt happen to you (hence the apx. 30ft of bubble wrap, haha). That VC will look great with those carbs, your going to have a killer setup. Totally Old School Chrysler, cant wait to see the finished product. When you say chrome valve cover attachment hardware, you mean chrome top bolts or? Anyhow, thanks again for your business, -G
    Yup, chrome plated bolts/studs/nuts and an oil fill cap. Probably NS1 long time ago. IIRC most of the bolts were too short for the cast turbo valve cover so they are only for the stamped steel valve covers.

turbo addict

Here are a couple pics of the Hilborn setup. It is actually for the Chrysler 2.2.

What do you mean it's actually for the chrysler 2.2? Isn't that what we have?. I'd like to just have the intake with the ITB's and build a plenum for it and boost the snot out of it. OMG what fun that would be. Nice big 655/neon DOHC size ports. mmmmmmmmm

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

^Score Jeremy! You're kinda getting a collection of those things eh?

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Yeah, I was seriously laughing driving back to Wyoming with what I bought that day. This guy was an older racer from the 60s that built a lot of cars in Southern California from what I gathered. He moved to Boise in the 80s and got into high speed racing at Bonneville. He was really into it and had a car called a streamliner built in his garage. Very long/narrow car with a rear engine that he built everything on. He also had a business making ignition coils called the "Astro Coil" www.astrocoil.com

Anyways I bought the motor he was putting together for the car. I knew I was in for something good on the way to pick it up, but I was shear disbelief when I saw the parts in person. It's a 2.0L 16v Maserati, common block with MP main caps, Mopar Performance crank shaft with full counterweights, knife edged etc, 6 Cunningham rods, 6 forged Arias pistons, new (?) 16v head casting with valve cover, Garrett T68 turbocharger, Hilborn mechanical fuel injection, a hand built Astro Coil, lots and lots of new bolts/hardware for fabrication, etc...I still can't believe it. So it less than a year, I scored three 16v motors; an ebay longblock thanks to Shelgame, Mark C's motor, and this one...

---------- Post added at 08:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:14 PM ----------

Jay, what I meant is that it is actually designed for our 8v SOHC 2.2 engines, not some other application that has been adapted. For some reason they made it so that you need an adapter plate to put it on the head though. The previous owner was somehow going to use it with the Masi 16v head though, and just hadn't gotten around to the fab work yet.

Oh, and that crank sprocket I got from you is for this motor. That is one of the little things he didn't have. No factory intake either.

turbo addict

I see. very cool. an adapter plate should be pretty cake walk.

Rick D might be able to help you get started on a custom intake.

From the sounds of your collection 1 more Masi setup and you'll be able to yank out those T3's and have your entire fleet Masi powered

To tell you the truth I would love to call up Rick D and order some parts......but the big TIII project has to get finished up first. Two 2.2s, Two 2.5s, all complete drivetrains built for my fleet. If I can get them finished up I'll allow myself to graduate to the Masi world. Very close now but local machine shop is taking forever.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12