Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern chassis to put my 3.0/A543 into?

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Re: Modern chassis to put my 3.0/A543 into?

wow... that side-by-side video at the end is a complete crock of ----. Maybe if the guy still thought the swap was a good idea after he finished, he would use video of his actual car.

The speedo isnt going crazy fast but it's still faster than a 2.5/604 with intake and exhaust would be. I really dont think that porting and polishing the heads on those things would do jack ---- if you ran a stock plenum and TB.. hes using the stock plenum off a cloud car 2.5 in one of the motor pics, but the finished install shows the stock avenger/sebring plenum installed. Even if you could move the limiter on those computers (how did he do it? B&G maybe.....) the thing wouldnt rev out on stock plenum and cams for crap. On a stock motor it's dying off at 5500 even though those heads on a 2.5 could go WAY higher.. it would not accelerate from 7-9k rpm like that. And his tach must be full of crap because a 2500 stall on a torqueless motor is not going to actually stall at ~4k like the video seems to suggest, and i dont think the stock 24v valvetrain could do 9k, and i dont know if you could spin a 604 to 9k without big converter problems. Also, i know of every possible 604 gear ratio mashup that doesnt involve custom gears, and there is no gearing you can stick in the 604 that gets you 9k rpm @37 mph in first gear. even with the lowest possible ~4.28:1 final drive, you would still be doing 59mph @9k rpm in 1st gear on a tire diameter like what he shows in his vid, and the tire you would need to make the math work would be 19 or 20" in diameter.. which only exists in racing tires for 13" wheels which wont fit over 2g dsm brakes.

So, theres a lot wrong with that clip at the end.

But yeah, it's easy to do a v6 swap into a 2g dsm. You would definitely have to run the mitsu-style intake manifold though, and probably dist cap and wires too.
    Last edited by Vigo; 11-07-2011 at 11:46 AM.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Hybrid booster

He must be using the 4 cylinder tach with the V6. Regardless, shows how to easily as 6G7x can be installed in place of a 420a.

I wonder when he says 3.0 internals if he means he did a 3.0 shortblock swap and used everything else from the 2.5 donor. I could see a 3.0 swap with some mods being that fast down a hill.

turbo addict

the 2.5 v6 is a 6g73 right? (no time to look it up, gotta run) but i thought you could just use a 3.0 24valve 3.0 crank and call it good?

i know ive heard of 3si guys finding that they have 2.5 blocks.... with sohc heads or something like that. i think i posted about it on TD with a link to some guy on 3si who found that he had infact a 2.5 block in his stealth or some bs.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

All that work for another 20hp lol.

Edit: I didn't watch all of it, but from the posts made, I gather it got some port work or something. Either way, IMO you would be much better off using a 3.0 bottom end. The 2.5 is pretty gutless, can't imagine they much more out of it w/ that little work than a stock 3.0 would make. I drove a Avenger w/ a 2.5 auto, it was a slow turd. Handled really good though
    Last edited by Force Fed Mopar; 11-07-2011 at 07:54 PM.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

the 2.5 v6 is a 6g73 right? (no time to look it up, gotta run) but i thought you could just use a 3.0 24valve 3.0 crank and call it good?
    Yes, the 2.5 v6 is called 6g73. The crank is the same as a 3.0. The 2.5 has a smaller bore. Changing a 2.5 car to 3.0 involves swapping the shortblock. It's a direct bolt-up swap. The 3.5 and 3.8 have taller deck heights which involves changing some brackets and the lower intake and modifying the exhaust piping, so those are not direct bolt-up swaps.

Garrett booster

I do like the looks of the factory 6g73 exhaust manifolds in comparison to our 3.0L exhaust. Ours are terrible, the 73 at least looks like a little bit of flowtesting was done on them. Wondering on how interchangeable they would be with our motors.

Also love the exhaust crossover pipe being UNDER the engine instead of across the tranny. Yes, more difficult for crossover mounted turbo, but much easier to get better exhaust flow.

Hybrid booster

I'm thinking 2G Eclipse / Talon with a 3.0 shortblock. I'm going to use the 2.5 24V heads on the 3.0 block with an A543. Seems very doable.

I'm having a bit of trouble finding a tested cam re-grind for the SOHC 24V motors that doesn't cost the same as the car.

The SOHC / 24V manifold will NOT fit the 12V heads. The 24V heads could be potentially mounted on the 12V block in in a TD if you use a 24V crank and find a away to make the front engine bracket fit with the much wider 24V timing belt setup. 12V block might be missing a timing belt idler boss. Engine control would be a can of worms you might not want to open.

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

I do like the looks of the factory 6g73 exhaust manifolds in comparison to our 3.0L exhaust. Ours are terrible, the 73 at least looks like a little bit of flowtesting was done on them. Wondering on how interchangeable they would be with our motors.

Also love the exhaust crossover pipe being UNDER the engine instead of across the tranny. Yes, more difficult for crossover mounted turbo, but much easier to get better exhaust flow.
    Too bad we have a k-frame ruining that whole idea... i have thought the same thing before. Unless you have a stock height car you probably wouldnt want to run a pipe beneath the k-frame. One guy did it using a mitsu 3.0 front manifold on a shadow, though.

with the much wider 24V timing belt setup
    Uhh... im pretty sure the sohc 24v setup is damn near identical. I think they use the SAME timing belt.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post

Uhh... im pretty sure the sohc 24v setup is damn near identical. I think they use the SAME timing belt.
    The 24V belt is much wider and the crank sprocket uses up nearly all the space on the crank snout. 24V uses an additional idler pulley for the timing belt. The 12V cam pulleys may fit on the 24V cams... I'd rather user the wider 24V belt though. Either way, 24V heads in a TD require custom exhaust manifolds.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 87turbodance View Post
    I'm thinking 2G Eclipse / Talon with a 3.0 shortblock. I'm going to use the 2.5 24V heads on the 3.0 block with an A543. Seems very doable.

I'm having a bit of trouble finding a tested cam re-grind for the SOHC 24V motors that doesn't cost the same as the car.

The SOHC / 24V manifold will NOT fit the 12V heads. The 24V heads could be potentially mounted on the 12V block in in a TD if you use a 24V crank and find a away to make the front engine bracket fit with the much wider 24V timing belt setup. 12V block might be missing a timing belt idler boss. Engine control would be a can of worms you might not want to open.
    why bother with a 12valve block then? iirc, the only diff is the 24valve block had weaker pistons.. and wouldnt we be able to just put 12valve pistons in the 24valve motor? or are they dished differently (now that i think of it, im sure they arE)

edit: i second the 3.0 in a neon. they have better suspension than us AND they are a little lighter than a pbody i believe.

oo and i have a pair of sexi headlights and smoked taillights for a 1g neon

The 24V belt is much wider and the crank sprocket uses up nearly all the space on the crank snout. 24V uses an additional idler pulley for the timing belt. The 12V cam pulleys may fit on the 24V cams... I'd rather user the wider 24V belt though. Either way, 24V heads in a TD require custom exhaust manifolds.
    Thanks for the info. I have done a few (even owned one for a few years) but my eyeball micrometer and my memory are not 100% accurate. lol.

they put that sohc 24v in longitudinal apps. Depending on what those manifolds look like and what they are made out of, it MAY be easy to adapt one to run crossover exhaust. As i said earlier too, i did know of one guy who used a down-pointing mitsu 12v front exhaust mani (same arrangement as 24v) on a k-car.. he simply ran that pipe under the k-frame instead of between the k-frame and the body. The two downpipes merged somewhere behind the k-frame.

I wonder what Shadow24's exhaust looks like. he has the 24v sohc 3.0 in a p-body, after all.

Why not just run a 3.0 24v? Should be the same heads or better than the 2.5, and it should be the same height.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Not a fan of the 24v sohc heads unless they are mivec. Have never seen performance numbers to back up the hype. Not comparable to the dohc in any way.

You could consider RWD since bill Hitchner (spelling?) has a bellhousing adapter in the works for the Ford c4 auto. I am kinda excited about that for my Starlet.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Hybrid booster

RWD would be nice but If I was to go down that route I'd just a BMW 3-series E36.

I've looked at a few 1G Sebring/Avenger cars and I think that is the route I will take. I like the 97-00 Sebring specifically. The car desperately needs an A543 swap though which is a can of worms.
    I'd like a sedan but I can't find a sedan I like that meets my requirements.

I also don't know what to do with the SOHC 24V heads. Cams are a must but I'm don't know what to do about regrinds or what kind of revs the stock rockers and springs cam take.

Garrett booster

If talking of motor swapping, why not look for a DOHC 3.0L from a scrapper / wrecker / parted Stealth/3K? Some good potential there..

Hybrid booster

I think the DOHC cams would be way too wide to fit the engine bay. Upper intake would have to be modified to face the right direction. DOHC heads on the 3.0 SOHC 24v short block might be a possibility.

You could just use the late-model Stratus R/T 5-spd, clutch components would probably match up easier. Unless you can find an early Galant or Eclipse w/ a cable clutch (not sure if they ever came with them or not, worth a check though).
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

Hybrid booster

To use the 543 I'd have to attach a clutch slave to the clutch arm. I've never seen a stratus R/T because they were never sold in Canada but from what I've read, that transmission won't fit in the 1G Avenger/Sebring, 1G/2G Eclipse/Talon. My understanding is that the 5 speed transmission found in the Stratus R/T is the same as the one found in the 3G Eclipse.

Food for thought: Avenger 4G63T AWD swap, Another Avenger 4G63T AWD swap

I wonder if the Caravan transfer case and rear end would fit?
    Last edited by 87turbodance; 11-09-2011 at 03:37 PM.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast