Thread: which engine to use.........

Garrett booster

which engine to use.........

i was originally gonna swap a 86 t1 from a glht in my 88 horizon but i just remembered i have a low mile 85 t1 laying around.the 86 ran great when i last drove it around cept for a little smoke(turbo?) but the 85 engine is VERY clean and complete. its not in a car but was told it had around 50000 miles on it before it was yanked out and put in his garage. any pros or cons from either choice? also the 85 distributer looks smaller and has other odds and ends that look different than the 86. would i just swap the sensors and distributer over?
    so yea... original question..... which should i use?

thanks
    kurt

Hybrid booster

Re: which engine to use.........

I would use the 85. It has the heavy duty rods. The 86 does not, it has the otherwise unfavorable lightweight rods. You could just swap the distributor and sensors and you shuld be good to go. the 85 also has a G head, which is the more popular head to run in performance, although i don't know if it is really better or not, it is supposed to flow 10% more than a swirl ? I don't know that for sure though.

Nate

Admin- "Alexandria" Ken... Comes W/4 Car Garage Turbo Mopar Staff GLHSKEN's Avatar

Go with the 85 (bigger rods). Swap the Distr and hep from the 86. No other sensors need to be changed. Your compression ratio will be lower due to the 85 piston dish allowing more boost safely with the swirl head.
    Ken Adler....
    Cars, A few (9)

Admin- "Alexandria" Ken... Comes W/4 Car Garage Turbo Mopar Staff GLHSKEN's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 1985ShlbyChrger
    the 85 also has a G head, which is the more popular head to run in performance, although i don't know if it is really better or not, it is supposed to flow 10% more than a swirl ? I don't know that for sure though.

Nate

Not with a 2.2L. go with the swirl.... Back-cut the swirl valves... 3-5 angle valve job and it will flow as much as a stock g
    Ken Adler....
    Cars, A few (9)

Garrett booster

thanks for the reply guys. ill dig out my 85 and try that one out. for now just getting it swapped and running reliably is my main concern than performance. after i run it for awhile hopefully ill have my built motor ready though im stil not sure which head ill use for that yet, swirl or g head.....i always get a 50/50 on which one i should use.

Garrett booster

BTW- how would i know exactly what year an engine is? just wanna make sure it is a 85 block or was 85 the only year with the smaller distributer?

Lightbulb Re: which engine to use.........

Quote Originally Posted by Boltthrower
    BTW- how would i know exactly what year an engine is? just wanna make sure it is a 85 block or was 85 the only year with the smaller distributer?
    '84 and '85 blocks have the small distributor and the pistons have a shallower dish and no valve notches.

Garrett booster

so the 84 and 85 is pretty much the same then. good ill probably use that engine then. thanks again guys!

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Mario's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Boltthrower
    so the 84 and 85 is pretty much the same then. good ill probably use that engine then. thanks again guys!
    Same....except for the rods as stated before.
    Mario Di Cesare [url]www.boostedmopar.com[/url] 1985 Dodge Omni GLH - The Original "BOOSTBOX" 1991 Spirit R/T - "Grandma Boost" [url]http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showpost.php?p=270429&postcount=1[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by mock_glh
    '84 and '85 blocks have the small distributor and the pistons have a shallower dish and no valve notches.
    OOPs... I had it backwards... higher compression with a swirl head and that block.
    Ken Adler....
    Cars, A few (9)

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

There is also a casting date on the back of the block, right above the oil pan flange towards the pulley end. Just remember, anything past roughly July will be next year's model.

Garrett booster

k just checked the back of the block. 12/17/84...... so i got an 85 turbo. thanks!

It'll have 10mm headbolts.. Might consider redrilling/tapping those up to 11mm if you blow the headgasket in the future.

Garrett booster

Keep the G-head, if you swap a swirl head on that engine it will bring up the CR.

Daniel Merrill