Thread: Spirit R/T Fuel Pump Connector & Fuel Pump Rewiring

Garrett booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Spirit R/T Fuel Pump Connector & Fuel Pump Rewiring

Hey guys,

Dropped the tank the other day to replace the fuel filler neck gasket, and while I was under there I noticed that one of the wires leading to the fuel tank had some housing missing, and bare wire was exposed. Long story short, I ended up doing a pretty bodge job cutting the wire, putting on heat shrink, and reconnecting it. Now the engine cranks but doesn't run. So, I figure if I've got to fix things up down there anyway, I may as well run thicker wire (maybe 12ga?) to the pump. I think I'll do what was suggested in this thread by Ondonti as to rewiring the fuel pump with larger wire:

Quote Originally Posted by Ondonti View Post
    If you rewire, you should go the extra length and hotwire it to the battery with another relay.
    In that same thread, someone posted links to this connector and this relay. I'll probably purchase those and set them up somewhere in the trunk, as my battery was relocated there.

My question is, what to do about the factory connector to the fuel pump? As I mentioned, I botched the mending job, and now the factory connector has only really short lead coming from it. I guess there's probably enough to accommodate solder joints with larger wire, but if I could replace the connector and run larger wire all the way to the fuel pump, I'd do that.

I just don't know where to find a replacement connector - any ideas? Would it be possible to pull the pins (actually, I think they may be female leads) from the connector and crimp in larger wire?

Also, could someone double-check me on the wiring schematic (no diagram, but I'll describe it):
    - Old fuel pump hot wire and ground to connections on new relay that activate the relay circuit
    - Hot wire from positive side battery to fuse (15a? 20a? More?)
    - Wire from fuse to fuel pump power
    - Wire from relay to fuel pump connector
    - Wire from fuel pump connector ground side to chassis ground.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by BaxterStockman; 10-17-2011 at 09:56 PM.

Garrett booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: Spirit R/T Fuel Pump Connector & Fuel Pump Rewiring

Okay, got the new relay set up and working. I grounded the ASD relay and turned the key to "on," and, sure enough, I could hear the fuel pump chugging away!

But - the engine still doesn't start. It doesn't even want to turn over: I turn the key, there's a quick noise as if the engine is trying to turn over, then a rapid clicking noise (starter?). I'm at wit's end here, so I think I'll post in the "Help!" section.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.