Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pinion shaft vs bearing. 555-520

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Pinion shaft vs bearing. 555-520

Does the shaft fail from abuse and take the bearing with it or does the bearing go to crap and take the shaft with it ? I picked up a 520 today and got it broken down to the bare case. Front pinion shaft/intermediate shaft bearing and the surface of the shaft looked great vs all the horror and carnage pictures posted by many here. Not new by any means but nowhere near nasty.

Transmission came from a 2.2 T1 Daytona. Overall decent condition (good rebuildable core) but it was evident its been given some hard usage in its past (3-4 & 5th fork pads were torn up, synchronizer teeth were slightly rounded on 3 & 4 ect)
    1994 Shadow Sedan. 2.2 N/A, A568 400,000 miles. "the science experiment"
    1987 Shelby CSX #418. Long term rebuild and restore ?

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: Pinion shaft vs bearing. 555-520

Probably both, one starts to pit and the rest is history. When I used to rebuild T5's, they did exactly the same thing, the input shaft rode on the output shaft with loose rollers, they'd wear, we figured due to dexron, and all surface's and rollers were buggered.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

I forgot the best part and your posting reminded me.. This thing had ATF in it !!! looked and smelled like old a** dirty as hell dexron.

turbo addict

Lucky. Mine smells like gear oil...

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post
    I forgot the best part and your posting reminded me.. This thing had ATF in it !!! looked and smelled like old a** dirty as hell dexron.
    better than old --- 7176 type...lol.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

Me and another member have been doing some digging and so far havnt come up with a decent solution to replacing the OEM koyo 12 roller bearing with the noticeably inferior Timken/Torrington 5707 which has an extra roller, not as wide and does not have anywhere near the HD'ness of the koyo bearing. Looking at doing a shim setup to position the bearing further out in the case so its riding closer to the center of the shaft roller surface. But will have to see how that will affect the oil feeder setup and its proper operation.

It's the shaft that fails, I'm pretty sure. I had at least one A525 with a good bearing and cracks on the shaft surface. The hardening is not deep enough to be a bearing surface like that. Surface fatigue sets in, cracks form, and the surface falls apart. That's why they added the inner race in the A523 and later trannys. High-boost abuse probably accelerates the process. But...there's not much that can be done about it. I've tried to find a bearing with an inner race that has similar ratings, can fit the case, and can fit on the shaft without serious modification. No luck. It's kind of a weird size, I think.

Maybe someday, someone with the right resources at their fingertips can find something.

turbo addict

The thing is that even with the pressed on race of the 3-plane trannies, they still have issues. Manly the race coming off the shaft.

I don't know anybody who's pushed a repaired shaft hard and long enough to see if those hold up. (by "repaired" I mean the way Simon's guy does it by machining down the shaft and pressing on a hardened steel race, NOT welding).

I haven't had that happen to me, but I know it does. The only thing I can think of to explain that is the shaft not being parallel with the bearing. The rollers would be at a slight angle to the race and could slowly pull it off. When I replaced the race on mind, it required a a lot of force to press it on. Way more than any other race in the trans. I was afraid it might crack.

Quote Originally Posted by MiniMopar View Post
    I haven't had that happen to me, but I know it does. The only thing I can think of to explain that is the shaft not being parallel with the bearing. The rollers would be at a slight angle to the race and could slowly pull it off. When I replaced the race on mind, it required a a lot of force to press it on. Way more than any other race in the trans. I was afraid it might crack.
    I don't think that's what causes it. I've had it happen a few times and I think it's the hard launches at the track that do it. The helix angle on the ring and pinion create side thrust that will push the race off. Luckily (if you want to call it that) it will rub through the case and start leaking oil before it comes completely off and causes major carnage. The resulting hole can at least be plugged. A stiffer end plate for the 523/568 trannies could be the remedy (or a straight cut ring and pinion).

Yes I started an interest thread on possibly getting a stronger/slightly thicker bearing plate for the 523/568 and got crickets for the responce...

Quote Originally Posted by mock_glh View Post
    I don't think that's what causes it. I've had it happen a few times and I think it's the hard launches at the track that do it. The helix angle on the ring and pinion create side thrust that will push the race off. Luckily (if you want to call it that) it will rub through the case and start leaking oil before it comes completely off and causes major carnage. The resulting hole can at least be plugged. A stiffer end plate for the 523/568 trannies could be the remedy (or a straight cut ring and pinion).
    I can't quite visualize how that would happen, since the race floats freely side-to-side the bearing. The rollers can't really create any side force on the race. Also the thrust from the helical pinion gear is somewhat cancelled by the opposite thrust from helix of whatever gear you are in. The rest is handled by the ball bearing at the small end of the shaft (that's why it has a snap ring around the outside). The input shaft is what creates all that thrust on the end plate, because it only has the main shaft to mesh against.

Check this out... http://www.applied.com/apps/commerce...=a&mp=NKI42/20#

Local napa referred them to me. http://web.applied.com/

Hybrid booster

that looks friggin awesome. just gotta see how we go about getting them after measuring up intermediate shaft diameter.

What are the dimensions of the 5707 bearing? I have a Koyo RNU070618 bearing and want to compare.
    Bryan

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

I missed roller bearings 101. What am I looking for here that's better than what's out there now?

That is just an idea. I dont know if that bearing is anywhere near heavy enough to withstand the impact/shock loading from the ring/pinion wanting to push in opposite directions from eachother.
    It is the correct OD and Width to fit into the case but the shaft would need modified to let that work at the very least. It is the same idea of the bearing and race setup on the 523/568 so the rollers arnt riding directly on the shaft chewing it up and your not having to cut more metal off the shaft and install the fixing collar idea.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

That is just an idea. I dont know if that bearing is anywhere near heavy enough to withstand the impact/shock loading from the ring/pinion wanting to push in opposite directions from eachother.
    It is the correct OD and Width to fit into the case but the shaft would need modified to let that work at the very least. It is the same idea of the bearing and race setup on the 523/568 so the rollers arnt riding directly on the shaft chewing it up and your not having to cut more metal off the shaft and install the fixing collar idea.
    Thanks. I see what you're getting at with that now.

I have something on order, but won't be processed until next week. It may not even be the correct part. However, I felt it was worth it to see if it the part I was looking for. When it shows up and if it is the correct part, I post up what I came across.
    Bryan

...on your color TV screen... Turbo Mopar Contributor Reeves's Avatar

Anyone try it?

James Reeves - Reeves Racing
    World's Fastest 8 Valve - 146.88 mph
    86 GLH-T 9.99 at 143.78 mph
    86 GLHS #169 Mom's - complete Super 60 car
    87 Shelby Z 14.16 Dad's - mostly stock, no sh*t!
    88 Shelby Z 13.5 - been in storage for 15 years
    03 SRT-4 12.24 Mom's
    07 Charger 5.7L 12.48 Dad's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast