Thread: What should I replace while it's apart?

Garrett booster

What should I replace while it's apart?

The Vehicle:

'89 Caravan, "The Boost Box." 2.5l T1. Auto trans for now, 5spd will be going in probably within a couple of months. Over 175k on the body, but I know the engine and trans have both been replaced.

The Situation:

Well, the Garret's in the mail to replace the mitsu, should be here first of the week, so I've got to pull the head. I think the head gasket's gone anyway, oil on dipstick has looked milky since I got the van but the oil coming out of the pan looked fine. Dipstick starting to look milkier since it overheated (briefly) when the rear heater core blew up.

I know cylinder #2 has low compression. It read 100psi and the others have 125. Compression in #2 went up to 120 with a squirt of oil, so I figure it's rings.

The Goal:

I want a reliable van that's no slouch, but it doesn't have to be the fastest van on the road.

I'll probably leave this van with the Garret on it and a 2.5" exhaust system off my parts van. Yes, there's a parts van, and it's getting gutted and hopefully getting a beefy 2.4 in a year or so. That's why this van doesn't have to be so fast.

I want it to mainly be a reliable vehicle that I can pile a few of my friends in to and drive it anywhere.

Basically after it got totaled and I fixed it myself, the insurance check wiped the slate clean and I had 2 "free" vans, so I figured it was a sign and I should spend money fixing this one up, it's in pretty good shape already.

The Question:

Since I'm pulling the head and the pistons to change the turbo / rings / head gasket, I figured I'd replace the main bearings / rod bearings while I'm at it. The parts are cheap enough I really can't complain. I'll probably just get the upper / lower gasket kits from TU, haven't really decided yet.

Yes, it's getting a MOPAR HEAD GASKET, it has a blown FelPro.

I probably won't change the oil pump, it seems to put out pretty good pressure, it's always on the high side of the gauge. Think that's ok?

What else should I change / do while I'm in there?

Thanks in advance......

-Jordan

Garrett booster

Re: What should I replace while it's apart?

anybody? should I change the rod bolts or anything? If no responses I'm leaving everything else.... But I do NOT want to take it apart again in 6 months!

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by DeckSetter
    I want a reliable van that's no slouch, but it doesn't have to be the fastest van on the road.
    Then replace every engine fastener and gasket. Get the mains & rods aligned along with bore and hone. Mill the head and block

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

You have it covered. Replace the front crank and aux seals, timing belt, install a braided line kit for the turbo, use ARP head studs, get the head rebuilt and your off to the races.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Garrett booster

well, plans changed, looks like I'm just going with the headgasket and head bolts for the time being (it ran great, no knocks, even though cyl #2 had lower compression... it might be from the blown headgasket), then doing the 5spd swap, then HOPEFULLY putting a 2.4 in the parts van and swapping it in to the good van after the bugs are worked out.......

There were a few different factors in this decision, one of them being I've never pulled a head by myself before (assisted a couple of times) so I'm sure I'll screw SOMETHING up........

Garrett and RFL are in the garage..... headgasket, head bolts, intercooler piping, blowoff valve flange, bobble strut bracket (since it's getting either a 555 or 568 mutt transmission), and 2 holsets HY35W's have all been ordered and paid for, so they should be coming throughout the week......

I think you should rebuild the bottom end too; I've got some brand new pro series wave-loc rod bolts for sale.

Garrett booster

thanks Ground Rat, but it turns out the bottom end's good, so was the headgasket, but the pressure test says the head cracks are why #2 had low compression. CRAP!

Guess I'm looking for a new head now.......

thanks Ground Rat, but it turns out the bottom end's good, so was the headgasket, but the pressure test says the head cracks are why #2 had low compression. CRAP!

Guess I'm looking for a new head now.......
    I don't believe it, I have seen some nasty cracked heads and none caused a loss of compression. What cracks are they saying is causing the loss of compression? Your initial diag shows oil brought the readings back up, that indicates rings. If your head is truly junk, oil won't help your readings.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Garrett booster

Well, I only added oil to the cylinder that was only reading 100psi (cyl #2). Oil brought it up to 120. For all I know, oil may have brought the others up too.

The head's got a pretty nasty crack off the valve seat in #2, not just in between them. It probably goes half an inch or so off the valve seat. There's also a very visible crack off the #1 valve seat, but it's clearly not as bad as #2. Compression test showed #1 to have 120psi, 3 and 4 had 125.

I'm just looking for a head to run for a year or so (if even that). I'm planning on starting the mild 2.4 build in the spring for Box #2 (the stripped out parts van). As soon as the bugs are worked out of that, I'll put that 2.4 in Box #1 (the NICE LOADED van) and go hog wild with the parts van with a 2.4 and a Holset.

you should just pull the pistons.....your already half ways there if ya got the head off
    95 spirit 3.0/543 15.0@91 N/A, 14.5@96 on a 50 shot RIP 87 shelby Z - project car, maybe I can drive it this year 91 spirit - roll it, chop the top, do some burnouts! RIP

Well, I only added oil to the cylinder that was only reading 100psi (cyl #2). Oil brought it up to 120. For all I know, oil may have brought the others up too.

The head's got a pretty nasty crack off the valve seat in #2, not just in between them. It probably goes half an inch or so off the valve seat. There's also a very visible crack off the #1 valve seat, but it's clearly not as bad as #2. Compression test showed #1 to have 120psi, 3 and 4 had 125.

I'm just looking for a head to run for a year or so (if even that). I'm planning on starting the mild 2.4 build in the spring for Box #2 (the stripped out parts van). As soon as the bugs are worked out of that, I'll put that 2.4 in Box #1 (the NICE LOADED van) and go hog wild with the parts van with a 2.4 and a Holset.
    Well in that case, most likely but I would still pull the pistons and inspect for cracks. Throw a set of rings in and you'll have a solid DD with no oil burning or blowby.

Any pics?

Garrett booster

no pics of the head, I'll see if I can snap one tomorrow.

I had originally planned to ring it and put in new bearings, but I figured what's the point if I'm trying to go with a 2.4 in the next year or so anyway? It runs smooth now (except the A413 shifts at 4400rpms, but that's another story......), it just had a cracked head. I could probably run it with the cracked head, but it wouldn't be a good idea. I might end up going with a G head..... low end wouldn't be great, but I drive mostly highway anyway so I doubt it would be a problem (especially when the 568 goes in......)

Garrett booster

looks like I've located a head (from an '88 T2 Lancer, should be a swirl). I just have to buy a good 555 for $200 to get it. OH DARN!

Looks like my projects are shaping up nicely.

A year is a long time. I would just rering it and check the bearings. Its a piece of cake now, it would suck to put it back together and find out you have bad rings, oil burning, cracked piston etc.

Garrett booster

Still going to take my chances, but thanks for the warning. I already picked up with SRT-4 turbo/manifold from Ebay ($129.50 shipped!!). Hoping to be driving it as a 2.4 by June 1. If the van takes a dump, I still have my Jeep (even though it burns oil).