Thread: Centerline - Super 60 Cam?

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Centerline - Super 60 Cam?

I'm planning on installing a slightly used/new slider cam that is supposed to be a Super 60 in the GLHS; it came so labeled in a Mopar box but without a poop sheet.

So, what centerline should I set it at?

While I'm at it, what are the specs of a Super 60 cam, so I can confirm what it is that I'm working with.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Re: Centerline - Super 60 Cam?

Due to differences motor to motor, I would centerline it with an indicator...

S60 cams were advertized as .499 lift but I heard the ones that came from Comp Cams catalog were over .500

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Hybrid booster

I got mine from Comp Cams. Some specs as follows:
    Gross valve lift .499 for intake and exhaust
    Duration @ .050 218 for intake and exhaust
    They recommend a 112.0 installed intake centerline

Hope this helps!

turbo addict

John,
    The specs mentioned sound correct. 114 LSA if I remember correctly, 112 ICL. Hope you have the slider followers labled, and if not I wouldn't bother.
    Todd
    Quote Originally Posted by johnl View Post
    I'm planning on installing a slightly used/new slider cam that is supposed to be a Super 60 in the GLHS; it came so labeled in a Mopar box but without a poop sheet.

So, what centerline should I set it at?

While I'm at it, what are the specs of a Super 60 cam, so I can confirm what it is that I'm working with.

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    John,
    The specs mentioned sound correct. 114 LSA if I remember correctly, 112 ICL. Hope you have the slider followers labled, and if not I wouldn't bother.
    Todd
    Todd, can you elaborate on your comment? I don't run a slider cam, but I'm assuming by your statement that the slider cam followers are specific to each lobe? Is this true on a new install or for used cams? I'm interested.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Thanks all, for the info.

The cam did not come with followers. I have some new in the box sintered followers. The cam has been run before. I take it that that is a problem? Maybe a bath in ZDDP oil additive?

As for degreeing the cam to a LSA vs a CL, I take it that setting the cam to a Lobe Separation Angle, as opposed to setting it to an Intake lobe Centerline, irons out/averages production grinding variances? That is, in grinding the intake lobe and the exhaust lobes, their centerlines are probably consistent in relation to each other while the more likely production variance is in the set up of the cam in the cam grinding machine such that both intake and exhaust lobes together are either spot on, or slightly advanced or retarded.
    Last edited by johnl; 10-04-2011 at 05:15 PM.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    Todd, can you elaborate on your comment? I don't run a slider cam, but I'm assuming by your statement that the slider cam followers are specific to each lobe? Is this true on a new install or for used cams? I'm interested.
    They wear into each other so if you don't use the originals on the same lobe, it will accelerate wear, which doesn't really matter with an S60 slider as its a matter of time before it grinds itself into a metal pulp.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    They wear into each other so if you don't use the originals on the same lobe, it will accelerate wear, which doesn't really matter with an S60 slider as its a matter of time before it grinds itself into a metal pulp.
    Yep Simon hit on on the head. Jon and John, those cams had a huge failure rate when they were new, so imagine the accelerated rate using new and old parts together. John using zinc ZDDP additive IMO is a band-aid at best. More like a Hail Mary! Your motor will be getting plenty of metal additives when as Simon puts it, "grinds itself into a metal pulp". Seriously, better check that cam often. I remember Jessie Buhr's s-60 camshaft. We pulled the cover at the dragstrip and it looked like someone swapped in a broom handle! I on the other hand, had one live for a long time in one of my cars. I paid very close attention to spring pressures, because I knew of the failure rate of these cams.
    Just set it to #1 Intake installed centerline. This is more than almost anyone does anyway. I just gave you the reference for lobe separation, as some people have strong opinions on what lobe separation our motors like.
    Todd

We Todd D dot D Turbo Mopar Staff sdac guy's Avatar

112 sounds familiar to me also. I have an S60 cam in my Omni. There have been wear problems with some. My original LRE S60 clone cam wore both lobes and the MP followers. My 2nd one is in there now (a Comp Cams part number), but only has about 2k miles on it and looks new. BTW, Comp Cams made all of them, both MP and their own. Mike Taylor came up with the design for MP while he was working at Comp Cams. I think even the LRE S60 clone was actually the same Comp Cams piece too.

One fellow I know went through 5 of them in about 2 years. I have known folks that have thousands of miles on their S60 cams with no wear problems. We call those guy "lucky".

Barry
    86 Shelby Lancer Prototype
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T

For your questions about SDAC, please contact BadAssPerformance

Or you could step up to the 90's and get a roller S60 cam, lol.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Its on my list of things to try someday, Simon.

Barry
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T

turbo addict

I alway wonder if a lot of the failures was because of people running those S60 slider cam in a none squirter head ( roller cam head).
    I have to agree with Simon and get a roller S60.

Quote Originally Posted by sdac guy View Post
    Its on my list of things to try someday, Simon.

Barry
    Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by bakes View Post
    I alway wonder if a lot of the failures was because of people running those S60 slider cam in a none squirter head ( roller cam head).
    I have no experience but from what I've read, even if they have squirters, its the ramp angle etc. People tried everything under the sun including coatings and nothing worked.

Quote Originally Posted by bakes View Post
    As sold by MP, the S60 package included a fully ported big valve g-head by MP. That's what I had on my Omni, and back in the 90's when the S60 package was first sold, the g-head was thought to be the ticket for performance applications. So I think the cam being used in roller cam heads was rather rare back then.

Barry
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T

Is there a consensus on the best flat tappet assembly lube? and lifters that pump up right away might help, so what's the best way to oil soak lifters? Anybody ever heat and cool them to cycle/pump oil into them?

I'll put it in and take Todd's advice and check it often.

Yeah, slider would be the ticket and I can go there easy enough, since I've got a square tooth roller and a set of followers on the shelf. For now, I'll stay with and experiment with what's proper for the car.
    John Laing

-- Alexis de Tocqueville

--Ayn Rand

Not sure where my answer went but here it is again.

DO NOT soak the lifters, just install them lubed up. I use Lucas assembly lube, good shitt but for the cam, I would put on something with moly, IE ARP moly lube.

Why not soak them? Don't they need a prime? take a long time to pump up, do damage to the followers/cam?
    John Laing

-- Alexis de Tocqueville

--Ayn Rand