Thread: 2.0L dampner removal

Garrett booster

2.0L dampner removal

I have a couple 2.0s both out of 95 Neons, and I need to switch the crank dampner from one to the other. (1 is broken)

I was using a jaw type puller that seems to grip the inner hub of the dampner fine, but the dampners on both engines seem to be on the crank snout super tight. The puller won't budge either one.

Is there a trick to getting these off?

I should also note I left the bolt in the crank but backed out a few turns to use as a base for the puller center stud, as the hole in the damper is too small to allow the puller stud to rest against the crank itself.

Never had a problem pulling off any other type dampner, did they use locktite on these or something? Again any suggestions appreciated.

Re: 2.0L dampner removal

you need this tool

http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CFoQ8wIwAg#

I own one and it's a life/time saver

turbo addict

I used a harbor frieght steering wheel/hub puller and it worked, but bent every bolt in the process. I guess its only like 12.99 for the puller but if you do it alot buy a good one!

how did you bend every bolt? IDK of any holes in the pulley, on a Neon, to bolt a puller to? I have 4 neon motors in my shop and 2 neon race cars. none of them can use a steering wheel puller, no holes in the crank pulley.

regular 3 jaw pullers generally don't work, unless you modify them.

the special tool is the best way to go. it works on 3.3, 3.5, 2.7, 2.4, 2.0 and some others. I bought one after finding my assortment of snapon 3 jaw pullers wouldn't work especially when I pulled the pulley apart tearing the rubber insulator between the pulley surface and center hub.

I bet you mis-read the OP thinking of a 2.2/2.5 crank sprocket. that's not what he's asking about.

Hybrid booster

I remember breaking the damper and my dad's old 95 neon, the second time we did the head gasket. I have the blue point version of the above mentioned tool. It works awesome, I'm so glad I bought it. It also works on a lot of GM engines too.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

What Mike said, you can't use a harmonic balancer puller, no holes. Someone posted up they use a 3 jaw puller in another thread but if you own one of these cars, you should really buy one or maybe Autozone etc rent them?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Buy the tool.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar View Post
    how did you bend every bolt? IDK of any holes in the pulley, on a Neon, to bolt a puller to? I have 4 neon motors in my shop and 2 neon race cars. none of them can use a steering wheel puller, no holes in the crank pulley.

regular 3 jaw pullers generally don't work, unless you modify them.

the special tool is the best way to go. it works on 3.3, 3.5, 2.7, 2.4, 2.0 and some others. I bought one after finding my assortment of snapon 3 jaw pullers wouldn't work especially when I pulled the pulley apart tearing the rubber insulator between the pulley surface and center hub.

I bet you mis-read the OP thinking of a 2.2/2.5 crank sprocket. that's not what he's asking about.
    I was thinking he was talking about the crank sprocket in general. The 2.4 I took apart had holes in the sprocket. I see he was talking about the dampner

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Buy the tool.
    No substitute for the right tool for the job I guess. The three jaw puller I'm using just won't do it. I torqued it up good (To the point of breaking) and no go. I'll order the proper tool next week.

Have to wonder if tool manufacturers have a hand in automotive part design. Bolt grip is so much easier, and easy to source a puller. Specialty tools for something that is common to every engine is bull.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 83rampage View Post
    No substitute for the right tool for the job I guess. The three jaw puller I'm using just won't do it. I torqued it up good (To the point of breaking) and no go. I'll order the proper tool next week.

Have to wonder if tool manufacturers have a hand in automotive part design. Bolt grip is so much easier, and easy to source a puller. Specialty tools for something that is common to every engine is bull.
    Try being a mechanic where every friggin week/month/year, we have to buy a new tool because someone figures using a new fastener/technique is better/easier???????????
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info