Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: TIII billet aluminum mechanical rockers being tested.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Re: TIII billet aluminum mechanical rockers being tested.

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    When I had the valve cover off my Caliber SRT-4 for powder coating, I noticed the valvetrain was very much like the Masi 16v TC head. Same kind of cam-over-bucket arrangement and the valve cover even has the little spark plug tube o-rings kinda like the Masi. I can't believe no one has put the 2.4L Turbo World Engine in an older turbo Mopar yet.
    Really? They are using a direct acting cam? Seems like quite a departure from the older/non-world engines, but is simpler, but taller from a packaging standpoint...

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

I would have looked into the World 2.4L swap by now but I'm up to my eyeballs in TIII stuff right now. I wish I would have taken a picture of the cylinder head and valvetrain on my Caliber when I had the valve cover off. There aren't any rocker arms or lifters; just cams, buckets, and shims as far as I could tell. Oh, and the cam phasers Those are neat.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

I would have looked into the World 2.4L swap by now but I'm up to my eyeballs in TIII stuff right now. I wish I would have taken a picture of the cylinder head and valvetrain on my Caliber when I had the valve cover off. There aren't any rocker arms or lifters; just cams, buckets, and shims as far as I could tell. Oh, and the cam phasers Those are neat.
    Sounds like a winner to me! At least as far as the head goes... I wonder if it would retro-fit to an older 2.4 (and therefore the 2.2/2.5)... Of course if there aren't any Achilles's heels in the world engine, it would be a smarter bet to just do a swap...

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

turbo addict

From what I remember about the "world" engine the bore spacing is entirely different. The thing *I* don't like about it is that it is semi-open deck! It doesn't seem to be an issue with the Evo guys, but still...I REALLY don't like that design for high power numbers. Ask the Honda guys about how well that arrangement works. :/

Hybrid booster

There are no shims. The buckets are individually selected by thickness.

There are other neat features. There are two theromstats, one for the cylinder head and one for the block. The water pump is virtually a belt driven remote style. The oil pump is chain driven and located in the pan. I don't like the fact the 2.0/2.4 integrate the oil pump into the balance shaft carrier, but that is easily fixed by installing a 1.8 oil pump that does not use balance shafts.

Engine swaps would be very involved. The plastic intake is fly-by-wire throttle body. The Caliber transmission would require being used or an adapter plate made. If you use the transmission, axles would have to be made. The PCM requires 3 other computers be working properly to let it function correctly. It's not that it can't be done; it's just more work than most are willing to do. Personally, I'd love to SEE it done.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Very cool. Would love to scoop up one of those drivetrains someday but waaaaay too many irons in the fire already. I was thinking if I did it I would probably not even try to run factory '08-'09 electronics and go aftermarket. Heck maybe even a cam driven distributor could be made to work with minimal fab but that seems a little archaic although it could minimize the hassle of adapting to the older car. I would most definitely get away from the stock intake manifold. I hear it has some kind of solenoid operated ramps to promote air flow at lower RPM or something. I had wanted to powdercoat the intake as well until finding out how much was really going on in there and that some the components probably wouldn't hold up to the curing heat. The valve cover seems to be made of same material and withstood 375'F for 1/2 hour without a problem.

turbo addict

dual path intake to give you more torque at lower engine speeds and power up top.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    dual path intake to give you more torque at lower engine speeds and power up top.
    Yep, alot of cars have this design, best of both worlds.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

Id run it off of a megasquirt. generic cam and crank sensor wheels can be used to retain full sequential injection and ignition and probably drive the stock coils though LS1 wouldnt be a bad choice here.

someone could datalog the stock ramp intake flap thingies to see when they open and then duplicate it with various means, rpm window switches, wastegate actuators (make it boost activated) or other things.

mechanically mounting the engine and connecting it to a trans would be the most difficult thing in my opinion but i love engine management and electronics though.

brian

---------- Post added at 08:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 PM ----------

oh wait, there is variable cam timing on this thing right?

some datalogging would be needed on the wiring that controls the cam phasers to determine how they are controlled and then that can be duplicated as well.

brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Garrett booster

To bring this thread back from the dead a bit --- I too have had a T3 motor where a roller pin had failed and grenaded the top end. How about a simple fix for this, maybe some clips that slide over the rocker and retain the pin, similar to what chrysler was installing on the diff pins in the later differentials... just to try to keep the pin in place a little better?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor Turbo Joe's Avatar
    any updates on this wallace?
    Turbo Joe
    ----------------------- 87 CSX #175 TIII powered, MegaSquirt3 Pro Ultimate, GTX3076R, Turbo Joe header, Lengel intake, Menegon ported head, the list goes on

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Did this ever go anywhere?

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

So apparently, these 10k-rpm mechanical TIII rockers never materialized to production/group buy? Long term testing didn't pan out?
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor Turbo Joe's Avatar

if I had to guess, i would guess it has been about 5 years or so last time I spoke with Wallace over the phone and wasn't doing much car wise with personal life things going on. I haven't seen or heard from him in ages so i'd guess maybe car stuff is not part of his life at the moment? it would've been nice to have a different avenue of obtaining parts or upgrading parts prone to failure being as old as they are and under such stress.
    Turbo Joe
    ----------------------- 87 CSX #175 TIII powered, MegaSquirt3 Pro Ultimate, GTX3076R, Turbo Joe header, Lengel intake, Menegon ported head, the list goes on

We have a few NOS sets left of the TIII rockers and lifters.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...t=#post1134426

Chris-TU
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567