I was involved with the Progressive Automotive X-Prize 100 MPGe (“e” is for “equivalent”, as many entries were 100% electric) Fuel Economy Race with a 2008 Hyundai Sonata, entry #20 (Liberty Motors Group) that got an unofficial best of 83 mpg (175% increase over stock 30 mpg highway numbers) and an official best of 42 mpg at the Roush Labs in Livonia, Michigan (40% increase over stock).

Being the Turbo Mopar head that I am, I couldn’t resist taking what I learned and applying it to a TM car. So, here is the 1985 Daytona Turbo Z that I’m transforming into what I expect to be about a 70 mpg, 13 second phenomenon. The starting point is a 176k mile, 99.8% rust-free cream puff with lots of maintenance records.

The stock engine wasn’t worth saving, so I’m using a tight ’86 block I had laying around. (Head in the picture is just for mock-up work.)

The intake is a mildly ported (compared to other versions out there) 1-piece with heavy port-biasing to augment the head work, and a 46 mm TB (which should easily hit the stated goals). It features Tomco injectors that deliver a finer micron sized fuel spray.

The intake and valve cover are powder coated black wrinkle finish with yellow fins and letters. The head will have all my important tricks (pics and details later, it’s at the machine shop). The car itself will feature a whole host of industry standard, as well as unique and exclusive technologies. For the standard fare, it sports a medium sized FMIC…

…As well as a fresh Garrett turbo plumbing the TU Stainless Line Kit and a 2.5” SV…

…Mounted to a ported stocker…

…Feeding a stock exhaust system off my ’93 IROC R/T, minus the muffler, which is aftermarket.

On a side note, the exhaust manifold came on the car. I bought the Z from a young fellow in southern NJ. He hadn’t had it all that long. When I pulled the engine apart I thought the exhaust manifold looked strikingly familiar. The more I examined it, the more it looked like one I ported for TU. Sure enough, my records prove that it was indeed one of mine!

More to come shortly.

Mike